TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Neil-o-Mac

New Dream Theater radio single!

First, download John Petrucci playing "Flight of the Bumblebee".

Then go download "Space-Dye Vest" (I can't BELIEVE I couldn't remember that off the top of my head - I had to go to Darklyrics.com) and "The Great Debate".

Probably my favourite Dream Theater tunes.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Your DAD told you to check out Dream Theater?

That doesn't surprise me too much. I bet he LOVES King Crimson, too. My dad is also an ex-hippy prog weirdo in his autumn years.

Aside from "Home", DT piss the hell out of me.

I like some good prog, but they just suck. It's all twiddly shit over, y'know, good music...

I love DT, but the man has sort of a point. I just don't think it applies to these guys, believe it or not. I hate guys like Yngwie Malmsteen and all THOSE guys though.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I need to steal John Myung's fingers, too. Or at least his bass.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh, I think they're all pretty faggy looking, but every person in that band can play the hell out of their instruments. That's pretty much their appeal, I'd say.

Your DAD told you to check out Dream Theater?

That doesn't surprise me too much. I bet he LOVES King Crimson, too. My dad is also an ex-hippy prog weirdo in his autumn years.

Yup. My Dad listen's to a wide array of music. He's used my computer to burn hundreds upon of cd's he can't get a hold of

bada-BUMP

Didn't want to make a new thread about this, but tomorrow I'm going shopping to redeem my Xmas gift certificates. I heard "As I Am" on a hard rock station while driving down to Texas, and was a bit surprised when the guy said it was DT, but I d/led the song later on and it grew on me, so I want to know how the rest of the TOT album is.

bada-BUMP

Didn't want to make a new thread about this, but tomorrow I'm going shopping to redeem my Xmas gift certificates. I heard "As I Am" on a hard rock station while driving down to Texas, and was a bit surprised when the guy said it was DT, but I d/led the song later on and it grew on me, so I want to know how the rest of the TOT album is.

TOT is probably DT's most full-on 'balls and chunk' ( © Mike Portnoy) album, and was basically designed to give off a 'classic metal album' vibe. 'As I Am' is probably the weakest song on the album for me, but 'Honor Thy Father', 'This Dying Soul', 'Stream Of Conciousness' and 'In The Name of God' all kick ass. Go buy it. And buy Awake, Scenes From A Memory and Images & Words while you're at it.

:headbang:

And buy Awake, Scenes From A Memory and Images & Words while you're at it.

You dare doubt my metalheadedness? ;)

I already own those CDs. The only DT CDs I do not own are the last two (TOT and SDOIT, which I'd also like input on)

Guest mesepher

Well, it all depends what you like: a varied CD (like Six Degrees) or a wankfest (TOT)

here's the good and bad of TOT:

Good:

lots of AWESOME melodies

very catchy sections

James sounds fantastic

Great Grand Piano work by "the man" - JR

Bad:

rapping

nu-metalish voice effects

the guitar solos consist of JP running on the scales as fast as he can, this is my least favorite album for guitar solos. Some of them are decent... but overall, they tend to get annoying very quickly

my favorite songs are probably Endless Sacrifice, Vacant and In the Name of God (although one of the guitar/keyboard duels goes on for far too long)

I prefer Six Degrees, since its quite a varied album and the title track combines everything good about DT, plus Blind Faith is an amazing delivery all around

Guest mesepher

the lyrics are also pretty lame (which is no real surprise)... ESPECIALLY Portnoy penned lyrics