TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Question about old RAW's...

Why would the main events be the first match of the night? That just seems a bit weird to me. Was it to give them time after that match to set up the next week's ME or something?

Guest Boo_Bradley

With "Main Events" Like 1-2-3 Kid vs Johnny Polo, did it matter where it was placed

It also allowed them to pimp majior developments that occured in the match of the night

I loved the atmosphere of the early raws in 1993. The manhattan center was a great setting for the show. I still believe a late night show, like at 1:00 a.m., from the manhattan center would be awesome. The intimate setting would add to the show.

Well that and they had so many of the die-hards in the crowd week after week - it really added something to the show.

I remember one of the many popular chants from that first year of Raw was "Shawn is gay". Ah, the good ole days...

Guest Dynamite Kido
I loved the atmosphere of the early raws in 1993. The manhattan center was a great setting for the show. I still believe a late night show, like at 1:00 a.m., from the manhattan center would be awesome. The intimate setting would add to the show.

Yea, but don't you think that the lighting would be too bad for the matches? :P

Guest Graham R Tripp

Yes but who remembers the awesome undercard heel Damien DeMento????

I marked out for Mr DeMento.

Does anyone know what happened to him after he left WWF?

Is The Manhattan Center still around?

Yes, but it's now called the Hammerstein Ballroom. ECW ran their last PPVs there.

That was the Manhattan Center?!?! The Hammerstein seemed so much bigger on ECW.

As for the original question...I'm not sure exactly why they did it back in 93, but in 95, 96 and 97 I'm pretty sure their main reason for throwing their MEs on early was to get the jump on Nitro.

No, the Manhattan Center and Hammerstein Ballroom are 2 totally different places.  The Hammerstein is actually a legendary concert hall, hosting many famous rock bands legendary performances

They are still in the same complex or something right? Because I remember hearing somewhere that The Manhattan Center was now the Hammerstein. Could be different parts of the same building I guess..

Heck the address is even:

Hammerstein Ballroom at the Manhattan Center

311 West 34th Street

They ran one at the Manhattan Center in 1997 where ECW invaded and ken shamrock debuted as the next big thing. It was highlighted by an Undertaker/NOD main event. Most of the crew was on an overseas tour but it was still great. The crowd was chanting Bischoff is gay and Nitro sucks for seemingly the entire show. They stopped running their weekly in 93

No, the Manhattan Center and Hammerstein Ballroom are 2 totally different places.  The Hammerstein is actually a legendary concert hall, hosting many famous rock bands legendary performances

They are still in the same complex or something right? Because I remember hearing somewhere that The Manhattan Center was now the Hammerstein. Could be different parts of the same building I guess..

Heck the address is even:

Hammerstein Ballroom at the Manhattan Center

311 West 34th Street

Yeah, they're both in the same building.

I think Hammerstein Ballroom is close to ground level, while the Manhatthan Center is on the 6th or 7th floor.

When was the last RAW to run from the Manhattan Center?

Prior to the ECW Raw in 97, the last Manhattan Center show was September 13, 1993 - when the Quebecars won the tag straps off the Steiners.

They taped two weeks that night and when Raw returned live on the 27th, it originated from New Haven, CT. That was the taping where Razor won his first IC title.