TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Skywarp!

Wrestlemania 2000 or No Mercy?

I've been wanting to make this post for a while. How come No Mercy is considered to be the end all of wrestling video games? I love the AKI engine as much as anyone, but I think Wrestlemania 2000 was a better game.

Sure, No Mercy had better graphics, sound, a handful of backstage areas and a ladder match, but perhaps all of these things made the game SLOWER than WM2000. I remember the guys running like sludge the first time I played.

Entrance videos don't play on the Titantron, tag teams don't come out together, no full-ring entrances. Hey, bells and whistles are important, and it's annoying that things that were all included in WM2000 were scaled back in NM.

I also hated NM's championship mode. I liked the weekly-card based season mode. In NM's, it was hard to follow the timeline of a feud. One week, you'd fight on Smackdown!, then inexplicably, your next entrance was at a PPV. It seemed more helter-skelter.

Anyway, does anyone feel the same way I do regarding these two games? Or not and why?

Guest FrigidSoul

I liked No Mercy's Gauntlet mode and the upgrade in moves animation like the Swanton..instead of just somersaulting onto somebody and landing on your back they did the actual move.

No Mercy's Gauntlet mode though IMHO made that game.

Guest Scotsman

I must be getting Alzheimers..what was gauntlet mode again?

And I think the best thing about No Mercy, was the CAW was improved, with a lot more moves too. Plus KURT ANGLE>

Guest FrigidSoul
I must be getting Alzheimers..what was gauntlet mode again?

It was like one huge Survivor Battle Royal where you chose a character and went with him the whole way having to eliminate every other wrestler 4 times. Your reward for doing so was unlocking Andre the Giant

Yeah, I remember one time in the gauntlet mode, I survived everybody, playing for well over an hour, only to get eliminated by my very last opponent- Val freakin' Venis- on a totally bullshit move. I was about ready to cry, but realized my hands were too cramped to hold a tissue to wipe away the tears.

No Mercy, Just for the weapons system, CAW, Ladder match, The new VPW2 Moves and the iron man/Special ref match

But WM2K has NM owned when it comes to Season mode, entrances and the Create a Belt feature.

But WM2K has NM owned when it comes to Season mode, entrances and the Create a Belt feature.

I agree. It was very fun to put created belts on the line and have title histories for each belt. In the end though, No Mercy was the superior game, despite the massive slowdown and the glitches.

Argh, this topic reminds how awesome those games were. Why the FUCK did THQ turn to Yukes for the Gamecube games? And are there any Japanese Wrestling games for Cube still using the No Mercy engine? Def Jam Vendetta is good, but not the same.

I loved WM2000 and No Mercy. WM2000 lacked in the moves department and had a pretty weak CAW system. No Mercy made up both of those and strengthened the roster. WM2000 had a great career mode which dwindled in No Mercy. No Mercy had the great unlockable section and the gauntlet mode which WM2000 lacked all together. WM2000 had faster more crisp gaming while No Mercy's was slow and glitched. No Mercy had baskstage areas and the replay value.

I'm going with No Mercy on this one. And about the follow up to No Mercy that everyone is talking about. I doubt there will ever be one because no more games will ever be made for N64.

I liked Revenge the best because the wrestlers had a greater contrast in styles. Most of the wrestlers in the WWF games play about the same, but in Revenge there is a huge difference between playing someone like Hulk Hogan and playing someone like Juentud Guerrera. It was just more fun to play, despite not having nearly as many features.

Guest Coffey

I didn't have the N64 expansion pack, so No Mercy ran like shit to me. I also preferred Revenge over all the other games as well. I just liked being able to pick Raven, DDP, & Sting. Not to mention the cruisers. In WM2k, there was a lot of slop shit. Big Vis, Albert, etc.

To this day I like Revenge the best.

i liked the revenge entrace movie the best. it showed some cool stuff like the nwo posing together, the cruiserweights flying around, and the alex wright dance.

i love that dance.

Guest FrigidSoul
i liked the revenge entrace movie the best. it showed some cool stuff like the nwo posing together, the cruiserweights flying around, and the alex wright dance.

i love that dance.

I use to team up Disco and Wright before WCW did. My friend got the game before me and it pissed him off whenever I'd borrow it and win the Tag Titles with the 2

Guest Dr. Wrestlingphysics

No Mercy had that cute touch where you could edit a wrestler's outfit and he'd be wearing it in the game intro next time you played it.

Also the Smackdown Mall was awesome and to this day me and my friends refer to any money you can earn in any game as smackdown dollars.

No Mercy by a mile. My only complaint is the slight slow-down with 4-player action. I guarantee if they cut those stupid, blurry titan tron videos, it would run at a normal speed.

Well after reading this thread I went and had some good 4-Player Rumbles in Revenge and No Mercy tonight. It was damn fun. No 4-Player experience in a wrestling game has come close yet.

Guest Askewniverse

About the slowdown in No Mercy- if you turn off the background music, the game seems to run at normal speed.

Guest FrigidSoul
About the slowdown in No Mercy- if you turn off the background music, the game seems to run at normal speed.

People actually played with that on? I thought it was a given you turn it off

Guest FrigidSoul
It felt odd without music so I kept it on.

I liked listening to the hits and the crowd reaction personally and the music took away from it. If I did want music I put on a CD

Whenever I played NM, I always used to listen to Live Audio Wrestling or Dave Meltzer's Eyada.com show in the background.

*Nevermortal plays as Jericho and faces HHH in a regular Exhibition match while hearing Meltzer say "HHH will win the title back from Jericho at Wrestlemania after Jericho had to clean up dog crap on Raw" in 2002*.

Don't you think something like that would distract you and you'd end up losing if you were playing on Expert difficulty?

Whenever I played NM, I always used to listen to Live Audio Wrestling or Dave Meltzer's Eyada.com show in the background.

*Nevermortal plays as Jericho and faces HHH in a regular Exhibition match while hearing Meltzer say "HHH will win the title back from Jericho at Wrestlemania after Jericho had to clean up dog crap on Raw" in 2002*.

Don't you think something like that would distract you and you'd end up losing if you were playing on Expert difficulty?

Nope. Its just background noise.

And I never, ever played as the premade wrestlers....always made custom guys.

Guest Coffey

It's tough to lose, even on expert difficulty. Especially if it's one on one. Now, if it's on Expert and it's 2-1, well it's still easy. It's all about the Tree of Woe.

:)

Still though, I used to have so much fun with Revenge. Goldeneye 007 too. Back when I was in High School, I would come home from school and sleep until about midnight. Then, at midnight, I would go over to my friends house on the corner (they all had the same sleeping pattern) and we would play N64 until the School Bus came in the morning. It made it so that we weren't as tired in school too. Especially first hour.

Anyway, one day four of us were playing Revenge doing a Battle Royal. I was a random character, someone like Yuji Nagata. I can't remember whom I picked, but I got Nagata randomly after being eliminated once.

Anyway, two of my friends (there were four of them, and they were all brothers) were Lex Lugar & Kevin Nash. So, they were jumping me and their other brother. Well, the "other" brother was eliminated and then randomly got Psicosis. So, he came down to the ring, and I was thinking that he has a fresh character so he can help me out. Nope, he goes to the top and hits me with the Alabama Jam. Then I got pinned and Eliminated. All three brothers were cracking up, saying shit like "For Life." It was comedy.

After the match, they gave Psicosis and nWo shirt.

Fun times.

It should also be noted that we played the games so much that we took the analog stick out of some of the controllers. In Revenge you can hit the stick to kick out of every pinfall. So, we eliminated the cheap tactic. It also meant that your specials were limited to stealing your opponents move.