TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Reds release Ryan Dempster

The Cincinnati Reds went ahead and released Ryan Dempster a couple days ago, after he post a 6.54 ERA. Dempster's had three straight bad seasons, and it doesn't look like he'll live up to his promise. It's possible that he could turn it around, but right now he looks like the second coming of Jamey Wright. Or he could have an injury that's hurting his performance.

I think some team will give him a minor league contract and take a chance on him. If he doesn't succeed, its a few thousand bucks in the hole, and little harm done.

It usually takes about a full season just to get all the kinks worked out because of the surgery, but most guys seem to come back stronger than ever. Not saying that means he's going to turn it around, but that's something to consider.

Guest Anglesault
It usually takes about a full season just to get all the kinks worked out because of the surgery, but most guys seem to come back stronger than ever.

You should also consider Sterling Hitchcock. That surgery did wonders for him.

Just because Wood came back good as ever doesn't make it the miracle surgery.

Who said anything about Kerry Wood? Many pitchers who've had the surgery have come back and eventually felt stronger than ever, with several of them pitching a better game, as well. Of course not everyone's going to be better after it, but it seems that it's really been an assest as far as pitchers are concerned.

Guest Anglesault
Who said anything about Kerry Wood?

He was the best example of someone getting Tommy John surgery (recently)-and coming back better than ever- that I could think of.

Recovery from Tommy John surgery and success afterward is dependant on three things in my view.

1. Past performance/ability

2. Age

3. Percerverance

Dempster has 1 & 2 going for him, and no one can really judge #3. Hitchcock was never really that good before surgery, while Wood was lights out. As for other pitchers who've had the surgery recently, Matt Morris comes to mind.

I'm hoping the Jays make a pitch for him, seeing as how he's Canadian and all he might want to play at 'home' (not that BC's anywhere near Toronto).

I think Jose Rijo had Tommy John's done...but he's gone for good.

Wood is back and better than he was before, but he was 21 when he had the surgery, so...

speaking of minor league deals, maybe the Cubs should look into rehabing him like they did Wood.

Guest FrigidSoul

Jose Rijo had it twice. He tried ignoring the doctors and coming back 6months afterwards and fucked his arm up again.

Jon Lieber did indeed have the surgery

John Smoltz had tommy john surgery......and he's the most dominant closer in the game now except for maybe Eric Gagne.

Dempster may be better suited for the bullpen or in a closer role.

Guest FrigidSoul
John Smoltz had tommy john surgery......and he's the most dominant closer in the game now except for maybe Eric Gagne.

Smoltz wants to start again(he hates being a closer) and he may just do that. Braves are looking close at the closer market, the names being discussed are Urbina and Guardado

Smoltz wants to start again(he hates being a closer) and he may just do that. Braves are looking close at the closer market, the names being discussed are Urbina and Guardado

I heard about that, but the guy is a dominant closer and wouldn't be as effective as a starter because when he starts getting up ther in pitch count he becomes less effective. He should do what's best for the team and remain a closer, even though i hate the Braves

Dempster won't pitch at all this season and trust me is not that good. I can't believe we got stuck with that sack of shit, thanks bowden. He sucked well before he injured his arm. Hell he sucked his last year in Florida, the last half of 2001 and the first half of 2002.

That was likely due to his arm injury. It's hard to say what his true level of ability is. He could recover nicely considering that he's entering his prime years.

Dempster won't pitch at all this season and trust me is not that good. I can't believe we got stuck with that sack of shit, thanks bowden. He sucked well before he injured his arm. Hell he sucked his last year in Florida, the last half of 2001 and the first half of 2002.

So its not good that he won't pitch at all, but when he pitched it wasn't good either. Which one is it?

Guest Anglesault
That was likely due to his arm injury. It's hard to say what his true level of ability is. He could recover nicely considering that he's entering his prime years.

So its not good that he won't pitch at all, but when he pitched it wasn't good either. Which one is it?

I think (not all that sure myself) that he's saying that he won't pitch at all, but isn't good anyway.

I think Jon Lieber had the surgery recently. He's attempting to break in with the Yankees rotation next season.

Absolute worst case scenario for him, Wells and Pettite come back and he's the number 5/long relief man.

Absolute worst case scenario for him, Wells and Pettite come back and he's the number 5/long relief man.

Well, worst case in reality is a re-injury, but you have a good point. A healthy Lieber is undoutably in the rotation.

Lieber's big weapon is control. He's only walked 311 batters in 1510 1/3 big league innings. Home runs are his weakness, but its not a glaring problem. I don't think Lieber will have trouble adjusting leagues, beyond facing the DH.

Guest Anglesault
Is Lieber too much of a national league pitcher? He's not a particually hard thrower. Maybe he'll end up like Jamie Moyer.

His only competition for the spot is Jeff Weaver

God he better not be too much of a NL pitcher.

Can you imagine the self esteem of the guy so bad he got replaced by Weaver? :P

I still think looking back into the bullpen and seeing Weaver warming up is what turned Clemens around in game four.

Well Wells needs surgery too.

Guest Anglesault

Well Wells needs surgery too.

That's official now?

Having Tommy John surgery is not too much fun.

That being said, I know from personal experience that not even halfway through the rehab process (I had the surgery over the summer), I can already tell that my arm is going to be a ton stronger than it was before the surgery. The reason for that is that these injuries aren't usually a sudden thing that happens in one instant, they're the result of several years of punishment on your elbow. In effect, they probably had the injury for a while before they noticed it (I know I did), and the surgery can be beneficial. Not always, of course, but it can.

Wells' surgery is on his back. I don't know how serious it is, but it doesn't seem to effect his ability to pitch next season. Gammons seems sure he's going to the Padres, but I don't think its that clear.