TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I was kind of hoping the Cubs would sign Pudge because I am a registered Cub Hater. :firedevil:

And in the "Who Cares?" column, the Tigers have signed Fernando Vina for 2 years, $6 million.

Yikes. $3 mil per for a guy whose production has slipped and has become a relative fixture on the DL? Seems pricey to me, but at least the Tigers are trying.

Trying? Bleh if I were a fan I'd rather they not try than waste that money. If they sign Tejada is one thing but Vina? They don't have any 2nd baseman in their system that can hit .250 with almost no power? There is no quick fix for the Tigers situation so they should just stick with their young guys as they'll get better as time passes.

Guest FrigidSoul

Dan Patrick reports on his radio show that Pettite is an Astro, he'll take his physical and it'll be announced by the weekend

Dan Patrick reports on his radio show that Pettite is an Astro, he'll take his physical and it'll be announced by the weekend

*plays air guitar*

Where's Anglesault? Shouldn't he be bitching about this right about now?

Houston's top 3 is awesome (if healthy):

Oswalt

Pettite

Miller

BTW, who's their 4/5 pitchers?

:cheers: to the Astros coming from a Mets fan!

What's everybody's thoughts on Kaz Matsui signing with the Mets?

Edited by DerangedHermit

*plays air guitar*

Where's Anglesault? Shouldn't he be bitching about this right about now?

Houston's top 3 is awesome (if healthy):

Oswalt

Pettite

Miller

BTW, who's their 4/5 pitchers?

:cheers: to the Astros coming from a Mets fan!

Well right now it would probably be Jeriome Robertson and, if healthy, Carlos Hernandez. If he can't go someone like Brandon Duckworth (if he can make it through the lineup more than once) or even Taylor Buchholtz if he impresses Jimmah the Hook in spring training.

Sportsnet.ca says that the Jays are after either Miguel Batista or Sidney Ponson. I can't really link to it here, since they have this weird set-up, but this is part of the article:

Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi confirmed in an interview with me Wednesday that he is involved in serious negotiations with the agents for both pitchers and is hoping that one will accept his offer to become the Jays' No. 2 starting pitcher behind Cy Young Award winner Roy Halladay.

"Yes, we've been talking to both Batista and Ponson, and I'd say we have a reasonable chance to come up with one of them," Ricciardi said. "I think I'll know for sure on Friday."

I think they have a better shot on Batista, which would make their rotation:

-Halladay

-Batista

-Lilly

-Hentgen

-Josh Towers/Mark Hendrikson

Which is a hell of a lot better than what they had last year. If they have enough in the budget to pick up another bullpen arm on top of Batista/Ponson and Ligtenberg (someone like Rhodes or Benitez), then their entire pitching staff is MUCH better than it was last year.

I don't know that I'd worry too much, Bruiser. Pettitte is going to help the Astros, but:

- The bottom third of Houston's line-up is still a gaping hole of offensive suck. Brad Ausmus, Adam Everett, and Pitcher's Spot don't exactly instill fear in many teams.

- Leadoff spot is still a problem. Outisde Biggio, who isn't an effective leadoff guy anymore, they don't have anyone to fill that spot, barring additional moves. Biggio's defense in center is also adequate, at best...and he turns 38 this season, I believe. His downhill slide will likely continue.

- The Astros are average at third base; Ensberg's a nice player, but Jimy Williams's insistance on a platoon there with Geoff Blum brings it down a bit.

- Bagwell can still scoop 'em out of the dirt pretty well at first, but he can't throw for shit, and his offensive numbers, while still good, aren't what they used to be. Jeff Kent is average defensively at second base.

- Without Wagner, and the Astros failure to sign Chad Fox, the bullpen will probably slide quite a bit. Their Lidge-Dotel-Wagner method of finishing games is no more, and Dotel is largely unproven as a closer. They better get another setup guy, or else they might be in trouble. Dan Miceli sure as hell ain't it.

- Oswalt/Miller/Pettitte is a good 1-2-3 rotation, but it's no better than and, my Cubs' bias notwithstanding, probably not as good as Prior/Wood/Zambrano. Clement is definitely a better 4th starter than Jeriome Robertson.

On the whole, the Cubs' offseason has been better than Houston's, and I think they still have to be the favorites for the Central. Pettitte helps a lot, but I don't think he's the be-all-end-all for the Astros' hopes.

(Note: can we start spelling Pettitte's name right, folks? There's four T's in it...not three. Just a minor annoyance of mine....sorry.)

Guest O.J. Hart

The Tigers have officially signed 2B Fernando Vina to a 2 year deal worth $ 6 million. Not a bad move if the Vina of old is back this year.

And the Texas Rangers just signed Brad Fullmer as well.

The Tigers have officially signed 2B Fernando Vina to a 2 year deal worth $ 6 million. Not a bad move if the Vina of old is back this year.

I guess that answers this question:

And in the "Who Cares?" column, the Tigers have signed Fernando Vina for 2 years, $6 million.

Guest Anglesault

*plays air guitar*

Where's Anglesault?

"temper tantrum" doesn't begin to describe what I was doing.

Various items in my home are now broken and there is a hole in my wall.

Guest Anglesault

They'll ruin him

Honestly, it was a very typical Met thing to do. Go out and get a player for the position which is already your (arguably) strongest position.

Re: The Vina signing. BAD, bad move for the Detroit Tigers. Seriously, Vina had a WORSE OPS than the guy (Warren Morris) who manned second for the Tigers last season! Vina only played 61 games last year, he's injury prone, and he's 35. He's a gamer, but he's not going to help the Tigers win a damned thing next year.

Re: The Vina signing. BAD, bad move for the Detroit Tigers. Seriously, Vina had a WORSE OPS than the guy (Warren Morris) who manned second for the Tigers last season! Vina only played 61 games last year, he's injury prone, and he's 35. He's a gamer, but he's not going to help the Tigers win a damned thing next year.

If they were trying to win that might matter...but...like the Brewers they don't care if they win or not.

Guest Anglesault

They're just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Besides, they can't *possibly* have a worse year than 03.

Re: The Vina signing.  BAD, bad move for the Detroit Tigers.  Seriously, Vina had a WORSE OPS than the guy (Warren Morris) who manned second for the Tigers last season!  Vina only played 61 games last year, he's injury prone, and he's 35.  He's a gamer, but he's not going to help the Tigers win a damned thing next year.

If they were trying to win that might matter...but...like the Brewers they don't care if they win or not.

They clearly do care, as they haven't given anyone away, and they're trying to lure free agents. They've just been HORRIBLY mismanaged the last decade.

Otsuka stoked to be with Padres

Dec. 10, 2003

SportsLine.com wire reports

SAN DIEGO -- Nearly seven years after getting dragged through the Hideki Irabu fiasco, the San Diego Padres found a Japanese pitcher who actually wants to play for them.

The Padres introduced right-handed reliever Akinori Otsuka on Wednesday, a day after he signed a two-year deal that will pay slightly less than $2 million.

Unlike Irabu, who refused to negotiate with San Diego after it obtained his negotiating rights in early 1997, Otsuka was ecstatic to join the Padres.

He beamed when he was handed a blue No. 16 jersey, then said in English: "Today, my dream finally came true. Let's go Padres! I feel good." Otsuka chose No. 16 because it was the number his idol, Hideo Nomo, wore after signing with Los Angeles Dodgers in 1995.

Otsuka, 31, went 1-3 with 17 saves and a 2.09 ERA in 51 relief appearances for the Chunichi Dragons of the Japanese Central League last season.

Since 2002, he has walked only eight batters and struck out 110 while holding batters to a .175 average.

In seven seasons, he went 14-23 with 137 saves and a 2.39 ERA. He pitched his first six seasons with the Kintetsu Buffaloes.

Akinori Otsuka joins Rod Beck and Trevor Hoffman in a strong Padres bullpen.(AP)

Now all the Padres have to do is get Greg Maddux and they could very well dominate a weakening NL West.

Edited by Hektik

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Pettitte officially an Astro

I figured when the Yankees freaked out at the last second Pettitte would bite. Hopefully they trade for Kevin Brown now. Muhaha.

So that leaves the Yanks with

Mussina

Vasquez

Weaver?

Wells?

Contreras?

And the Astros

Oswalt

Pettitte

Miller

Robertson

uh....whoever

I think everyone knew, or should have known, when the Yankees re-signed David Wells that Pettite was gone. Keeping Wells came off like such a desperate move that I think they knew already that they wren't keeping Pettite.

Well this didn't take long.

Breaking news...Newsday reports Kevin Brown has been traded to the Yankees. Jeff Weaver, two prospects, and $3 million are going to the Dodgers.

Breaking news...Newsday reports Kevin Brown has been traded to the Yankees. Jeff Weaver, two prospects, and $3 million are going to the Dodgers.

I have a wild and crazy question

What are the Yankees doing to their farm system???

This team seems to have traded every solid prospect they have. I mean, I don't get what they are doing. Do they forget where Derek Jeter, Maraino Rivera and Soriano came from??

Note for Phillies fans:

On the ESPN bottom line thing, it said that Dan Pleasac was retiring.

Arthur Rhodes and Ricardo Rincon please stay near the white courtesy phone. Hopefully Ed Wade contacts you shortly.

Note for Phillies fans:

On the ESPN bottom line thing, it said that Dan Pleasac was retiring.

Arthur Rhodes and Ricardo Rincon please stay near the white courtesy phone. Hopefully Ed Wade contacts you shortly.

Arthur Rhodes may be the most underappreciated pitcher in baseball.

I know he won't go back to Baltimore and the Cubs don't seem to want to move on him. Philly would be a strong fit since their bullpen always seemed to be the hole last season.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Astros made a move on him or maybe Texas or the Angels.

Guest Anglesault

I have a wild and crazy question

What are the Yankees doing to their farm system???

This team seems to have traded every solid prospect they have. I mean, I don't get what they are doing. Do they forget where Derek Jeter, Maraino Rivera and Soriano came from??

Who knows. I'm sure that they do remember that every pitcher that has come up to the team since Pettite/Mo/Mendoza has absolutely SUCKED and George probablt has no faith in the farm any more.

Besides, they had to do SOMETHING to get rid of Weaver.

Guest FrigidSoul
Do they forget where Derek Jeter, Maraino Rivera and Soriano came from??

They spent more than others to obtain the rights to negotiate with Soriano and Rivera, so technically those players are bought and paid for as well.

Also when Jeter was drafted he said he wouldn't play for any team other than the Yankees, so other teams didn't bother with him...but ya, he was drafted by them.

Only true prospects to come from the Yanks farm system are Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, and Nick Johnson. Well Pettitte and Nick Johnson are gone so there ya go

At least according to Billy Beane yesterday they'd know by today if Rincon was re-signing with the A's or not. I wouldn't mind him back and they have to sign a lefty set-up man no matter what since they have no one else but his strikeout-to-walk ratio suddenly went to shit last year.

Oh and 2GOLD...George Steinbrenner doesn't care right now. Its all about winning now and fuck the future. It will bite them in the ass eventually.