TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

I like the deal. Milton is going to get 9 mil this year, but it is the final year of his deal. So they get a decent starter and they still stay open for the booming potential FA class of pitchers next year. And they only had to give up a bag of balls, essentially.

Why are the sports anchors on local news shows such dipshits?

The guy talking about the Milton deal mentions this would probably hurt their chances of resigning Millwood or signing Colon. Guess what, moron, they aren't going to pay Eric Milton 9 million to come in and be their 5th starter. I would imagine this is it for the SP, there aren't hurt chances of the other two, there are now no chances of them getting the other two.

Guest Anglesault
However, AS, you have to realize that free agents aren't the only answer

No, but they're certainly the only thing that can help them for the next three-five or so years.

Unless you propose the team goes totally dormant for half a decade while waiting for someone to make their way through the farm system.

However, AS, you have to realize that free agents aren't the only answer

No, but they're certainly the only thing that can help them for the next three-five or so years.

Unless you propose the team goes totally dormant for half a decade while waiting for someone to make their way through the farm system.

Going dormant would be nice....

:P

Guest FrigidSoul

It would take more than half a decade since the Yankees would have to actually have a good prospect first...which they don't.

Oh, and Milton is going to be a 4th starter...as he should when he's never had an ERA under 4.32 in a full season

Guest Anglesault

Good point.

Of course, if they recieved a decent prospect in a trade it might take less time than building one from the ground up.

Oh, and Milton is going to be a 4th starter...as he should when he's never had an ERA under 4.32 in a full season

Why should Milton rank below Brett Myers? It really doesn't matter anyway. Randy Wolf would likely kick off the season, and then starter's rankings don't effect anything until the playoffs.

Re: The Yankees

The model here is the Cleveland Indians. Their dynasty came to an end, and they dismantled and picked up prospects. They've had a couple down years, but they're in a great position in the future, and will likely rule the Central again.

Would the Yankees be able to dismantle like the other team's in the past have? They seem to have such ridiculously inflated contracts, for their players, that I can't imagine anyone taking their contracts on without costing NY tens of millions of dollars.

Guest Anglesault

The model here is the Cleveland Indians.

The...INDIANS?

The 68-94 Indians?

My life fucking sucks.

I was just thinking, do the Yankees ever draft players? With all of the FAs they sign, every single year, how long has it been since they have had a high round pick? No wonder their system is shot.

Guest Anglesault

Yankee Magazine had an article on their recent draft pick. Eric something or other.

I couldn't be bothered to care.

Guest Anglesault
Well, they did draft Henson. He might lead a team to a championship some day.

Damn you.

Seriously, the Indians will win the division again within 2-3 years. Mark my words on that one.

So a four year lay off.

No.

Damnit, I lived through the 80s and the early 90s. I never want to be a witness to that again.

Dammit al, you were supposed to bite on a Super Bowl joke there.

Do I look like a football fan?

So a four year lay off.

No.

Damnit, I lived through the 80s and the early 90s. I never want to be a witness to that again.

Interesting fact: The Yankees had the BEST record in baseball for the entire decade of the 80s. They really only truly sucked for a year or two.

AS, every team has their famous draft busts. Look at the legendary Brien Taylor bust. Wait a sec....

That's an object lesson not to sign high school pitchers, like Todd Van Poppel. As long as Cashman's in charge, they'll avoid that particular vise.

Guest Anglesault
Interesting fact: The Yankees had the BEST record in baseball for the entire decade of the 80s.

Lotta good it did them.

Their only total bust of a decade since they became a contender in the 20s.

Were Dave Neid and the Mets big three high schoolers?

That was Bill Pulsipher, Jason Isringhausen, and Paul Wilson.

I know that, I just stuffed them all in one question since they are some famous busts. Neid was the Rockies' first ever pick right?

I have a feeling Eric Milton is going to be screwed. Sportsnite (local sportscenter) talked about the trade, then started comparing him to Millwood and the heading of their graphic was "Trading Aces?". Eric Milton is not Kevin Millwood, Eric Milton is not being brought in to be the ace of the staff, and the only thing comprable is the salary (which is overpaying, but it happens sometimes).

Hopefully, the papers tomorrow portray him in a realistic light (Lefty, inning eater, potential to breakout) as opposed to constant comparisons to Millwood's career.

Guest Choken One

The model here is the Cleveland Indians. Their dynasty came to an end, and they dismantled and picked up prospects. They've had a couple down years, but they're in a great position in the future, and will likely rule the Central again.

Dynasty?

1996-2003. Yankees. Thats a Dynasty.

6 world series apperences in 8 years. 4 Championships.

AS could care less but historically, that's incredible.

The Indians weren't dynasty. One World Series Apperence and numerous ALCS runner ups.