TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

Guest Anglesault
BTW for you Yank-me fans do you really believe Pettite will end up in the Astros Mud n' Blood this year?

Deep down?

No.

With my awful baseball luck, yes.

Chicago needs to keep Lofton. He's a good lead-off man and he can steal.

He's also turning 37, and Corey Patterson had a .500+ slugging percentage before the injury. The Cubs need to worry about improving their middle infield before anything else.

I know it's only late November....but at this pace I think next year the Yankees might finish 2nd maybe even *gasp* 3rd in the AL East. It's only Late November but man the Yankees aren't looking so hot right now.

Lets not get too ahead of ourselves. The Yankees won 101 games last year. That's outstanding, but its lost because they lost one series. The Yankees are making a MAJOR upgrade in right field with the Sheffield signing. They've still got Mussina, and they're the front runners to sign Pettitte. I'm not ready to write off this team.

They're not getting a starting pitcher (Like, maybe Pettite) just to piss me off, right?

And I thought Philly fans were pessemistic. Sheffield's a consistant .400+ OBP guy. Can't you get excited about that?

Of all the AL East Teams, The Orioles are the only team not to make at least one single notable move. Its enough to piss me off because I can see where this is going to end up: The Orioles get shafted and don't get any free agents and end up having to scour the bottom of the free agent barrel and overpay to get someone. They have to address the RF/1B/C/3B holes that they have.

Guest FrigidSoul

Marvin, your Orioles can always have Manny for prospects...he can play RF for you.

Plus the Orioles are going to be in the running for Vladimir Guerrero (who I think they will get), Javy Lopez, and Miguel Tejada so I think they'll be making plenty of noise in the next month.

I think at this pace, the division standings will be.....

1.Boston

2. New York

3. Baltimore (With Vlad Guerrero likely to be on their roster, they will be a real threat to the Sox and Yankess)

4. Toronto (Also a threat to Sox and Yankees. Really interchangable with the Os)

5. Tampa Bay (They'll win 75 this year though, which must be a franchise record)

Geez, be serious. Toronto has a chance to contend for the division (at the very least, the wild card) with their additions to the rotation and the bats in that lineup. Baltimore will finish fourth, as always.

I also don't understand how signing Guerrero is all of a sudden going to make the Orioles world beaters. I mean, as much as I like him, the highest he's ever gotten the Expos is 2nd place, and the Montreal teams of the past 2 years were better than the Orioles are now. It's going to take more than Vlad to put the O's in the same league as the Yankees and Red Sox (or even the Blue Jays, in my biased opinion).

Sexson deal is finalized with a couple of players added to it.

Diamondbacks get:

Richie Sexson

Shane Nance

PTBNL

Brewers get:

Craig Counsell

Junior Spivey

Lyle Overbay

Chad Moeller

Chris Capuano

Jorge De La Rosa

One rumor to pass along is that more than a couple of sources are saying the A's are going after Mike Cameron. Kinda weird since they just trade for a center fielder in Mark Kotsay.

Guest Anglesault
And I thought Philly fans were pessemistic. Sheffield's a consistant .400+ OBP guy. Can't you get excited about that?

I'm very happy about that.

Doesn't change the fact that we have only one totally reliable pitcher.

Even if the two question marks work out, we only have three pitchers with one walking disaster.

Wasn't around. Love the Lee for Choi trade, especially since it assures the return of Castillo and Lowell and definitely gives more room to bring Pudge back. With Cabrera playing a full year, Castillo and Lowell back, as well as Burnett coming back... if everyone stays healthy the Braves may have a streak to worry about.

I predict the AL East to be...

#1: Boston Red Sox/New York Yankees

#2: Whomever doesn't finish first

#3: Toronto Blue Jays

#4: Tampa Bay Devil Rays(You heard me!)

#5: Baltimore Orioles(Their pitching staff sucks too hard and their offense is miserable, even with the possible acquisition of Guerrero/and or Tejada)

I predict the AL East to be...

#1: Boston Red Sox/New York Yankees

#2: Whomever doesn't finish first

#3: Toronto Blue Jays

#4: Tampa Bay Devil Rays(You heard me!)

#5: Baltimore Orioles(Their pitching staff sucks too hard and their offense is miserable, even with the possible acquisition of Guerrero/and or Tejada)

The Yankees are going to need a starter or three and some consistent middle relievers to make the playoffs again, offense be damned.

For AS: Boone stays with Yankees for next season.

One-year contract worth $5.75 million

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Third baseman Aaron Boone and the New York Yankees agreed Monday to a $5.75 million, one-year contract.

Boone, acquired from Cincinnati on July 31, was in a slump during most of his time with the Yankees, hitting .254 with six homers and 31 RBI.

His 11th-inning homer in Game 7 against Boston won the AL pennant for the Yankees, joining Bill Mazeroski, Chris Chambliss, Joe Carter and Todd Pratt as the only players to end a postseason series with a home run.

But Boone played a role in the Yankees' six-game World Series loss to Florida, striking out against Braden Looper with one out and the bases loaded in the 11th inning of Game 4. Florida won 4-3 in 12 innings to tie the Series at 2-all, then beat the Yankees in the next two games to take the title.

Boone, 30, is eligible for free agency after the 2004 season. He hit .273 with 18 homers and 65 RBI with the Reds, and was selected for his first All-Star appearance.

He made $3.7 million last season.

New York sent left-handers Brandon Claussen and Charlie Manning to Cincinnati to obtain Boone, acquired partly because third base prospect Drew Henson has not made much progress at Triple-A Columbus.

Henson, a former Michigan quarterback, hit .234 with 14 homers, 40 doubles and 78 RBI with the Clippers last season, striking out 122 times and making 28 errors at third base.

Guest FrigidSoul

come on Steinbrenner, give Arron Boone that 7 year, $95mill deal. You know you have money you just wanna blow!

Guest FrigidSoul

Luis Castillo is sticking with the Marlins $16mill over 3 years with an option for a 4th and a $2mill signing bonus

In addition, a few sources are reporting a four year deal for Mike Lowell.

Interesting moves overall for the Florida Marlins. Its good to see the team show some faith by re-signing their players long term.

Guest FrigidSoul

I'd like to see what the official contract of Lowell is because I know Florida was suppose to write it up where they can get out of the deal in a couple years if Miami hasn't built them a new stadium thus effectively making the city look like the bad guys and not ownership

I know the deal was suppose to be 4 years $38-40mill

Re: Yankees and Boone

Realistically, this was the action the Yankees had to take. There's nothing on the market as far as reliable third basemen are concerned. Boone serves as a one year stopgap, and hopefully for the Yankees someone better will become available next offseason.

Guest FrigidSoul

Steinbrenner's on crack if he thinks the Dodgers will give up Brown for just Weaver. It will cost them alot more than that

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I know I'm a week late, but my ChiSox fandom demands I mock the Cubs trade.

HA! Cubs fans won't love Dusty so much when he leaves and the're left with an overpaid Lee and the decomposing remains of Grudzilenik on the right side of the infield. Say hi to Bobby Hill for me, Hee Sop.

ps - AS is right. Sheff fills a big hole but the Yanks are in deep shite if they can't rebuild thier rotation.

pps - not even the Dodgers would give up Kevin Brown for Weaver.

Because Choi racked up some solid numbers before coming up to the Big Leagues, is a well-rounded player, and young. Since the trade was announced, I've grown to see the positives for both teams, as the Cubs have added another bat to the lineup and a great first baseman, while the Marlins have added a young prospect and cut costs in the process.

Choi was doing pretty well until the incident with Wood back in June, and he really hasn't been the same since. I'd have to imagine that'll pass, but it still pretty much ended his season with the Cubs and messed up his chances to come back in 2004.