TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

Guest FrigidSoul

They have Juan Gone as a Class A and he didn't play the final 2 months

Cory Lidle is a class A on that list and besides his string of 8 wins early he really sucked...as soon as interleague started he went downhill

I swear the full ranks were in the KC star, and they had guys like Castilla and Mayne as the lowest guy on the type A list

some sort of formula devises this.

The categories are

2B/3B/SS

OF/1B/DH

C

P

If I recall correctly

Guest FrigidSoul

I dunno, I'm gonna research it now though because I want to fully know. I have an idea of it (as I shared with what I was told) but I want to find the full thing on it. I mean we both know some of those guys don't deserve having a first round pick taken from the team that signs them

Guest FrigidSoul

Tino Martinez traded to the Devil Rays. St. Louis gets a minor league pitcher and will be picking up $7mill this year on the contract

basically the deal saves St. Louis $1.5mill this year and $8mill next year

Tino Martinez 273/352/429

Travis Lee 275/348/459

I don't get why the Devil Rays have a hard on for Tino Martinez. Like Brad Ausmus and the Astros, teams need to look beyond high-profile players with little skills to offer.

My guess is the'll have Tino Martinez DH as last year their DH's were Al Martin and Ben Grieve so they could use a better bat there. Travis Lee is good defensively at 1st so no real point in moving him.

Should correct what Plunderin said as Martinez is a free agent after next year so the Devil Rays aren't on the hook for any money after this season. $1.5 million for him to DH might not be that bad of a deal as he could still hit 20+ homeruns if he stays healthy.

Should add to the Martinez deal that I didn't realize Travis Lee was a free agent. Oh and Martinez will make $7.5 million this year so the D-Rays are only paying 500k this year to play for them but he does have an $8 million option for 2005. Not sure if its a team or player option.

Guest FrigidSoul
Should add to the Martinez deal that I didn't realize Travis Lee was a free agent. Oh and Martinez will make $7.5 million this year so the D-Rays are only paying 500k this year to play for them but he does have an $8 million option for 2005. Not sure if its a team or player option.

Player option, but since you're intent on trying to disprove everything I say then I'm just going to leave this thread alone. You guys will eventually find the stuff out, I'm not bothering anymore

I've looked around and several sources had no mention of an option. None of the original articles mention an extension either. One writer from the St. Louis Post Dispatch says its a team option with a $1 million buyout.

Cardinals trade Tampa native Martinez to Devil Rays

Martinez is owed $7.5 million next season under the $21 million, three-year deal he agreed to with the Cardinals in December 2001, and his contract contains an $8 million option for 2005 with a $1 million buyout.

St. Louis will pay $7 million of the remaining $8.5 million Martinez is guaranteed, a baseball official said on the condition of anonymity.

Yes so if there is a buyout then that means it has to be a team option but hey I wouldn't want to disprove anyone. :P

I don't really see anyone trying to disprove him, but it would probably help if he posted where he got most of his news. I mean, if he was posting news story after news story without sources in the WWE folder, he'd be crucified.

Yes he thinks of himself as some sort of insider when he just finds all this shit online like the rest of us.

Speaking of inside news, I got shit for all of you that only I know about...well okay its just the stolen notes from today's MLB.com's Hot Stove Report. I wasn't bothering this week with them since there were actually moves being made this week but figured I'd do one now before the thread turns ugly. :D Anything already mentioned on the board or mentioned last week I'll leave out.

-Tigers are interested in Garrett Stephenson.

-Juan Gonzalez apparantly might want to play for the Devil Rays.

-George Steinbrenner's offseason plan: sign Andy Pettite, Gary Sheffiled, and Kaz Matsui; trade Nick Johnson for Javier Vazquez or Curt Schilling; move Alfonso Soriano to left field, Hideki Matsui to center, and Bernie Williams to DH.

-Yankees have met with Japanese all-time save leader Shingo Takatsu.

-To no surprise the Red Sox aren't really interested in Andy Pettite.

-Royals might pursue Todd Walker and move him to 3rd if they can't re-sign Joe Randa.

-Gary Sheffield is reportedly seeking a three-year, $36 million deal.

-Rockies might pursue Mark McLemore or Adam Kennedy, if he's not tendered a deal by the Angels.

Rumours are mostly bullshit anyway. How much of this stuff actually comes true? And alot of offseason moves occur that don't get mentioned in rumours whatsoever. You take it all with a huge grain of salt.

With that said.....

-Tigers are interested in Garrett Stephenson.

Only a good idea if they get him at the league minimum.

George Steinbrenner's offseason plan: sign Andy Pettite, Gary Sheffiled, and Kaz Matsui; trade Nick Johnson for Javier Vazquez or Curt Schilling; move Alfonso Soriano to left field, Hideki Matsui to center, and Bernie Williams to DH.

Good lord the Yankee defense could get ugly. If Schilling arrives, he better pray that he gets alot of Ks.

-Gary Sheffield is reportedly seeking a three-year, $36 million deal.

Sheffield's been a great hitter while playing in pitchers parks. That figure sounds perfectly reasonable for Sheffield's talents.

What a piece of shit this guy is. I mean, seriously, does he not like winning baseball games? I'm not saying if he had gone to the Expos it would have put them over the top and into the playoffs, but at least they had a shot at doing something, which the Rangers didn't and the Devil Rays likely won't.

"Joe exaggerated slightly, as the Ibanez signing means that Seattle will give up a first-round choice for the fourth time in fifth years that Seattle has given up a first-round choice. The one time the Mariners used theirs, they were unable to signed outfielder John Mayberry Jr. in 2002. Here's a look at picks they've surrendered since 1999, which have had a negative effect on a system that is starting to move backward on our annual organization rankings"

They've lost picks in 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2004. In order to sign Ibanez, Colbrun, Jeff Nelson and Olerud. They also lost picks signing Sele, Arthur Rhodes and Jose Mesa. And their 1st round pick in 2002, John Mayberry Jr, chose Stanford over Seattle.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/colum...ists/askba.html

and here's that one list

I've had a few non-Ask BA emails asking me about the free-agent rankings for the current crop, and I've just received them from an agent. So here they are:

Type A

Starting Pitchers: Roger Clemens (NYY), Bartolo Colon (CWS),

Kelvim Escobar (Tor), Cory Lidle (Tor), Greg Maddux (Atl),

Kevin Millwood (Phi), Andy Pettitte (NYY), Sidney Ponson (SF),

Kenny Rogers (Min), David Wells (NYY).

Relief Pitchers: Rod Beck (SD), Armando Benitez (Sea),

Mike DeJean (StL), Keith Foulke (Oak), Tom Gordon (CWS),

Eddie Guardado (Min), Mark Guthrie (ChC), Shigetoshi Hasegawa (Sea),

LaTroy Hawkins (Min), Darren Holmes (Atl), Steve Kline (StL),

Jeff Nelson (NYY), Dan Plesac (Phi), Paul Quantrill (LA),

Steve Reed (Col), Arthur Rhodes (Sea), Mike Timlin (Bos),

Ugueth Urbina (Fla), Dave Veres (ChC), Gabe White (NYY),

Tim Worrell (SF).

Catchers: Sandy Alomar Jr. (CWS), Brad Ausmus (Hou),

Javy Lopez (Atl), Brent Mayne (KC), Ivan Rodriguez (Fla).

First Basemen: None.

Second Basemen: Roberto Alomar (CWS), Luis Castillo (Fla),

Mark Grudzielanek (ChC), Todd Walker (Bos).

Third Basemen: Tony Batista (Bal), Vinny Castilla (Atl),

Joe Randa (KC), Robin Ventura (LA).

Shortstops: Rich Aurilia (SF), Miguel Tejada (Oak).

Outfielders: Mike Cameron (Sea), Carl Everett (CWS),

Juan Gonzalez (Tex), Vladimir Guerrero (Mtl), Raul Ibanez (KC),

Brian Jordan (LA), Reggie Sanders (Pit), Gary Sheffield (Atl),

Matt Stairs (Pit), Shannon Stewart (Min).

Designated Hitters: Ellis Burks (Cle), Rafael Palmeiro (Tex).

Type B

Starting Pitchers: Brian Anderson (KC), Kevin Appier (KC),

Miguel Batista (Ari), John Burkett (Bos), Rick Helling (Fla),

Rick Reed (Min), Jeff Suppan (Bos), John Thomson (Tex),

Brett Tomko (StL), Ismael Valdes (Tex), Ron Villone (Hou).

Relief Pitchers: Terry Adams (Phi), Antonio Alfonseca (ChC),

Cal Eldred (StL), Jason Grimsley (KC), Felix Heredia (NYY),

Roberto Hernandez (Atl), Curtis Leskanic (KC), Alan Levine (KC),

Kerry Ligtenberg (Bal), Jose Mesa (Phi), Antonio Osuna (NYY),

Ricardo Rincon (Oak), Scott Sullivan (CWS), Mike Williams (Phi).

Catchers: Mike DiFelice (KC), Brook Fordyce (Bal),

Todd Pratt (Phi).

First Basemen: Carlos Baerga (Ari), Travis Lee (TB),

Fred McGriff (LA), Scott Spiezio (Ana).

Second Basemen: Pokey Reese (Pit), Fernando Vina (StL),

Eric Young (SF).

Third Basemen: Todd Zeile (Mtl).

Shortstops: Mike Bordick (Tor), Deivi Cruz (Bal),

Jose Vizcaino (Hou).

Outfielders: Jeromy Burnitz (LA), Jose Cruz Jr. (SF),

Jose Guillen (Oak), Todd Hollandsworth (Fla), Kenny Lofton (ChC),

Raul Mondesi (Ari), Michael Tucker (KC), Rondell White (KC).

Designated Hitters: Ben Grieve (TB), Ruben Sierra (NYY),

B.J. Surhoff (Bal).

Type C

Starting Pitchers: Wilson Alvarez (LA), Pedro Astacio (NYM).

Relief Pitchers: Jeff Fassero (StL), Chad Fox (Fla),

Tom Martin (LA), Kent Mercker (Atl), Dan Miceli (Hou),

Julian Tavarez (Pit), Rick White (Hou).

Catchers: John Flaherty (NYY), Eddie Perez (Mil).

First Basemen: Wil Cordero (Mtl), Julio Franco (Atl),

Andres Galarraga (SF), Eric Karros (ChC), J.T. Snow (SF).

Second Basemen: None.

Third Basemen: Chris Stynes (Col).

Shortstops: Royce Clayton (Mil), Rey Ordonez (TB),

Rey Sanchez (Sea), Tony Womack (ChC).

Outfielders: Orlando Palmeiro (StL), John VanderWal (Mil).

Designated Hitters: None.

I question the wisdom of the Escobar signing, but those are the kinds of risks a team like the Angels need to make a championship run. Escobar's in his prime, so he should give the Angels a solid performance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1668284

The Marlins say they are making progress in negotiations with free-agent third baseman Mike Lowell and second baseman Luis Castillo, but are not close to re-signing their All-Star catcher, general manager Larry Beinfest told reporters during a conference call on Friday.

Incorrect. Mike Lowell is NOT a free agent.

Rodriguez is reportedly looking for a five-year, $50 million deal -- which isn't close to the maximum two-year, $15 million offer that sources tell the Miami Herald the Marlins are prepared to give.

The Marlins offer is probably too low, but Pudge is definately expecting too much here. Five years?

''We're waiting for them to make an offer,'' agent Scott Boras told the Herald. "They're the employer. The only thing I've said to Larry is that Pudge had a very good year and we expect a multiyear offer."

Scott Boras. There's your explanation. First off, multiyear contracts are not a reward. They're a calculated risk in anticipation of future returns. I-Rod's a damn good player, but he comes with an injury risk. A five year contract is alot to invest, and it can blow up.

The Marlins are going to have to be careful this offseason, especially if they want to win that elusive first division title.

What a piece of shit this guy is. I mean, seriously, does he not like winning baseball games? I'm not saying if he had gone to the Expos it would have put them over the top and into the playoffs, but at least they had a shot at doing something, which the Rangers didn't and the Devil Rays likely won't.

It's well-established that he only cares about himself and the money. He's turned down many trades that would've sent him to a contender in a pennant race because he didn't want the pressure of performing in a competitive atmosphere.

Rodriguez is reportedly looking for a five-year, $50 million deal -- which isn't close to the maximum two-year, $15 million offer that sources tell the Miami Herald the Marlins are prepared to give.

The Marlins offer is probably too low, but Pudge is definately expecting too much here. Five years?

I guess it never hurts to ask but no one is going to give him a five-year deal as I doubt he gets more than three years. Hell by Spring Training you might be able to count on one hand how many players get five year or more contracts this offseason. Teams are just way more cautious about giving long term deals in today's market.