Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

Angels just confirmed the purchase of Escobar:

The Angels announced Monday that they have signed

flame-throwing free-agent right-hander Kelvim Escobar

to a three-year deal. Escobar, 27, finished 13-9 with

one complete game, one shutout, four saves and a

4.29 ERA in 41 games (26 starts) with the

Toronto Blue Jays last season.

I have to assume the Brewers get a prospect or two coming their way or they are in more financial trouble than was originally thought to do a deal like this. Not that I really care about Bud Selig's team being in financial ruin but Fossum is not near the level of a Schilling or Sexson.

I'm still hoping the Yankees get Schilling because they'll trade Nick Johnson to get him which they will regret.

WFAN-RADIO IN New York said a deal for Schilling will be completed if the Red Sox can work out a contract extension with the right-hander in the next 72 hours.

Schilling, who is seeking a two-year extension worth $30 million, will void the deal if talks break down.

WFAN-Radio said the deal involves the Red Sox, Diamondbacks and Milwaukee Brewers.

The trade would have the Red Sox trading left-hander Casey Fossum and prospects to Milwaukee, which would ship first baseman Richie Sexson to Arizona. Arizona then would send Schilling to Boston.

Schilling began his career in Boston and has said he wasn’t interested in returning to the Red Sox. Speculation is that Schilling may have changed his mind because the Red Sox are close to hiring Terry Francona as manager. Francona managed Schilling in Philadelphia.

However, in recent weeks, Schilling said the only two teams he would be interested in were the Yankees and Philadelphia Phillies.

The Yankees reportedly were close to getting Schilling earlier this month but didn’t want to renegotiate the pitcher’s current deal. The Yankees also are looking to keep free-agent pitcher Andy Pettitte and possibly sign Gary Sheffield.

Schilling’s salary is $12 million next year and could top out at $14 million next year. Schilling will have to waive his no-trade clause for the deal to go through.

Schilling, 37, serves as his own agent, has one year left on his contract with the Diamondbacks. Arizona won’t likely have the money to re-sign Schilling, given the money he’ll command for 2005.

“If I had to bet, I think the only thing I’d bet on is I probably won’t be in a Diamondbacks uniform when the season starts,” Schilling said.

This past year, Schilling battled injuries and went 8-9 with a 2.95 ERA over 24 starts.

He was out 14 days following an appendectomy, then missed another 38 when his right hand was broken by a line drive off the bat of San Diego’s Sean Burroughs. Then, Schilling was scratched from his last start by a variety of ailments.

He said he was in good shape “for brief periods of time, but healthy and back in the groove, rarely this year. I just never had a chance to get a consistent run. It was incredibly disappointing.”

Schilling went 22-6 with a 2.98 ERA in 2001, then was 4-0 with a 1.12 ERA in the postseason as the Diamondbacks won the World Series. Last year, he was 23-7 with a 3.23 ERA, becoming only the seventh pitcher to win at least 22 games in consecutive seasons. Both years, Schilling finished second to Johnson in Cy Young voting.

AWESOME. Pedro..Schilling..Lowe.

:)

Guest FrigidSoul

*does the Dance of Joy with other Boston fans*

and we're still pursuing Keith Foulke too(although I'd rather the closer spot go to Williamson and then our focuses go to a 2nd baseman)

Guest FrigidSoul
Too bad the Sox traded their top prospect for Jeff Suppan.

he wasn't our top, although it would be nice to have him playing 2B this year

Kevin Youkilis is our untouchable in the farm system, then Kelly Shoppach

As good as this sounds...I'm not 100% positive that this is a good trade.

Fossum, Lyon, and Goss are marginal prospects and I don't mind them leaving...but Jorge De La Rosa is "The Man" and would definitely be that home grown starter that Boston hasn't had since Roger Clemens. I don't think he is even close to Clemens but I have seen his stuff a few times and he is the real deal. I would honestly like to keep him around and not be so hasty to spend 15 million a year for a 37 year old injury prone star pitcher who is coming off a bad year.

Guest FrigidSoul

De La Rosa is still a couple years away. His move up to Triple-A last year showed that.

Besides it looks like we're still awaiting for Texas to give the ok on a Manny for A-Rod deal (Gammons said Red Sox want it done, A-Rod wants it done, and Manny wants it done) which would in turn have Nomar sent to LA or Anaheim for young pitching...so De La Rosa looks expendable.

Also Schilling makes $12mill not $15 and he's said money isn't a key in the deal, he has more money than he'll ever need...he just wants the extension. So it could come down to him getting about $10mill a year after the up coming season.

All of that and we're still on the thresh hold of signing Foulke. I'll have a hard-on all season if we start our season with our club looking like this...

C Tek

1B Millar

2B Castillo

SS A-Rod

3B Mueller

LF Cheap FA replacement...Reggie Sanders or somebody like that

CF Damon

RF Trot

DH Ortiz

Rotation:

Pedro

Schilling

Lowe

Wakefield

Kim

Bullpen:

Embree

Timlin

Mendoza

Arroyo

Williamson

Foulke

Schilling deal isn't finisehd just yet. Wants an extension, and for some reason wants Terry Francona has manager.

For some reason? Francona managed him for four years in Philadelphia, and Schilling really likes him.

Guest Choken One

Kenny Lofton can play lf can't he?

He would be a good lead off for the Sox...

Kenny Lofton can play lf can't he?

He would be a good lead off for the Sox...

Fuck that. The Cubbies need to keep him so they'll have a decent leadoff guy/fourth outfielder, at least until Corey Patterson gets all the way back.

With Johnny Damon, the Sox have little need for a lead-off center fielder.

While Plunderin's team looks good, that's alot of ifs to deal with. IF Castillo signs, IF the ARod/Manny trade goes through, IF the Schilling deal goes through, IF Foulke signs, and so on. With 29 other buyers on the market, things get more complicated than that.

I would honestly like to keep him around and not be so hasty to spend 15 million a year for a 37 year old injury prone star pitcher who is coming off a bad year.

Look beyond the W/L record and the injury. When Schilling did pitch, he posted his 2nd lowest ERA as a starter.

Schilling deal isn't finisehd just yet. Wants an extension, and for some reason wants Terry Francona has manager.

Because Francona was a pushover who would let Schilling decide when he wanted to come out of games.

Well according to the interview Curt gave last night, on Daily News Live, it is because Francona never had the talent to succeed.

I have a feeling that Epstein just wanted to get a guy in there who would be willing to do what he tells him to. I can't imagine Francona coming in and going against what the organization is trying to do, because he really doesn't have the credentials to be doing that. This is just the next step in getting the sabremetrics into the manager spot, IMO.

That interview was great. Curt sounded pissed that the Phillies didn't go after him harder.

For some reason? Francona managed him for four years in Philadelphia, and Schilling really likes him.

So Schilling likes the guy? That's not a reason to hire Francona.

This is the same tired old boys network recycling run amok in sports.

Why the hell would the Cubs make this trade? They had a great first base prospect. They didn't need a first baseman. All this does is hurt their chances of getting a prime free agent while only moderately improving their team at first.

And Verne, I gotta agree with you. A certain group of managers keep getting jobs only because they have prior managerial experience.

I think the NL Central has quickly devolved into a pissing contest between the Astros, Cardinals, and Cubs. What once looked like a highly competitive division is being squandered thanks to the Astros insistance to play Brad Ausmus, the Cardinals refusal to build a pitching staff, and the Cubs refusal to let a prospect play for their team.

Consider the Cubs track record over the last three years. In addition to trading Choi, they also traded away Bobby Hill, their second base prospect. At least they got players back for Hill though. Consider some of the other memorable trades the Cubs have made the last few years.....

AL Batting Champion Bill Mueller for Jeff Verplancke

Reliever Tom Gordon for Ross Rohlicek, Travis Anderson and Mike Nannini

2002 Rookie of the Year Eric Hinske for Miguel Cairo

And lets not forget that they also traded Dontrelle Willis. The Cubs have a terrible track record here, and one that should not go unnoticed, especially if they fail to win the NL pennant over the next few years.

Guest FrigidSoul

Francona is a Yes Man who is loved by players around the league, that's why they're hiring him

Guest FrigidSoul

Astros have offered Pettite a "ludicrously inflated" 3 year deal from what the radio is saying