TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Official MLB Offseason Topic

Guest Anglesault
Anglesault-

Just be thankful you're not a fan of EVERY OTHER TEAM IN BASEBALL.

I went through that Thankful business Thursday.

Now I have to start getting ready for the Christmas gift the Yankees have to get me.

I care about now.

Right now, this team will win NOTHING.

That's unacceptable.

We can cross the "later" bridge when we come to it.

Bad news. The "later" bridge is closer than you think.

Realistically, no team, even the Yankees, can build a dynasty on free agents. At some point, the Yankees are going to have to rebuild their farm system, possibly at the expense of some wins now. Otherwise, they're going to set themselves up for alot of losses later.

Do you think, if any team other than the Red Sox would be the ones to capitalize on a rebuilding, Steinbrenner would let his people start to rebuild?

I just think that seeing the Red Sox would be the division winners, if NY rebuilt, has to keep him from doing what is right for the team.

Guest Anglesault

I care about now.

That's unacceptable.

Realistically, no team, even the Yankees, can build a dynasty on free agents. At some point, the Yankees are going to have to rebuild their farm system, possibly at the expense of some wins now. Otherwise, they're going to set themselves up for alot of losses later.

I'm not willing to accept that until this well dries up. I detest "rebuilding years"

That was me, banging my head into my keyboard.

Ah. That's not good for the keyboard.

I care about now.

That's unacceptable.

I'm not willing to accept that until this well dries up. I detest "rebuilding years"

The well is already dry. This team is going to be worse defensively and on the mound than any Yankee team in a decade. Not only will the Yankees not win the World Series this year, there's a decent chance that they may not even make the playoffs.

No team is immune to rebuilding -- not even the Yankees. Spending $200 mil isn't going to change that if they can't spend it on players that will allow them to win.

Guest Anglesault

My God, it is over isn't it.

What if they're like the Tigers and rebuild for twenty years? I'll be dead by the next time they win!

IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIR!

My God, it is over isn't it.

What if they're like the Tigers and rebuild for twenty years? I'll be dead by the next time they win!

IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIR!

And then the Mets and Red Sox will get better while the Yankees are sucking...

Guest Anglesault

Good lord, it will be like the 80's all over again.

Only worse.

and we'll be managed by men named Stump!

fgjkdlfgnlfdgnqwoicmdslkdgnjkdfahAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I contributed to some of it but damn starting to think of maybe creating a "Non-Yankees and Red Sox Offseason Thread" or maybe a "OAO Yankees and Red Sox Offseason Thread".

If George were actually...*gasp* smart and went after young FA's who were solid players the Yanks would be in better shape even with the just going on by Free Agents deal. George should probably look at trying to trade Bernie for an equally good but younger CF along with a couple prospects.

Prospects > Pettite.

You COULD keep deteriorating your farm system by signing free agents, but they shouldn't sign Pettite unless the prospects are REALLY BAD. This has been going on for 4-5 years now, and should be fixed now.

RE: Bored's post.

As a 49er fan the Yankees remind me a lot of those mid to late 90s 49er teams. Tons of talent but getting older and older every year and always trying to reload with quick fixes. They were always good and always in contention but couldn't win another Super Bowl. Finally by the end of the decade trying to reload instead of getting younger bit them in the ass and they found themselves at the bottom of the league in 1999.

But football doesn't have a farm system - it's obviously acceptable to do this in any other sport BUT baseball.

The only thing OLD about that team was the offensive line, which was consistently the best in football. Their problem was associated with the fact that most of their draft picks didn't pan out (Floyd in 1994, Stokes in 1995, Druckenmiller in 1997), with their only bright spots being Stubblefield in 1994 and Owens in 1998.

Prospects > Pettite.

You COULD keep deteriorating your farm system by signing free agents, but they shouldn't sign Pettite unless the prospects are REALLY BAD. This has been going on for 4-5 years now, and should be fixed now.

This is true, but it's the YANKEES we are talking about. With the command of good ol' George, he'll find a way to get the best fucking prospects in baseball and still keep his team the way he wants too. As much as I hate the guy, he gets things done and he wins championships.

Now...do you really think it's smart for them to give up ANOTHER starting pitcher? I mean, Roger is gone...and now Pettite?

Sign Pettite for one year...if he does miserable, then he's gone. If he breaks out, then that's exactly what they need.

I can't believe I'm trying to give advice to the Yankees. *shrugs*

If George were actually...*gasp* smart and went after young FA's who were solid players the Yanks would be in better shape even with the just going on by Free Agents deal. George should probably look at trying to trade Bernie for an equally good but younger CF along with a couple prospects.

I'd think about trading Sheff if he starts to struggle...Bernie still has years left in him and is always a quality player. Gary, while still putting up great numbers, is getting up their in age and I think they could get more for their buck from a team that's desperate for an outfielder and get some top notch prospects.

Their outfield is already stacked as it is...they should try trading Jeter and someone else they don't need for ARod and the best prospects Texas has to offer. Problem they would have then is the salary cap which would be fucked up the asshole.

Their outfield is already stacked as it is...they should try trading Jeter and someone else they don't need for ARod and the best prospects Texas has to offer. Problem they would have then is the salary cap which would be fucked up the asshole.

There's a salary cap in baseball? :huh:

I'd think about trading Sheff if he starts to struggle...Bernie still has years left in him and is always a quality player. Gary, while still putting up great numbers, is getting up their in age and I think they could get more for their buck from a team that's desperate for an outfielder and get some top notch prospects.

Gary Sheffield is actually younger than Bernie Williams by two months.

There's a salary cap in baseball?

No, but there is a luxury tax.

I'd definitely trade Williams over Sheffield. Gary's had a consistent .400+ OBP for 9 straight seasons while keeping his totals consistent across the board. Williams however has been declining a little.

Sign Pettite for one year...if he does miserable, then he's gone. If he breaks out, then that's exactly what they need.

I can't believe I'm trying to give advice to the Yankees. *shrugs*

Given the fact that he's 31 years old and an injury-prone pitcher, he'll won't sign a one-year contract with ANYONE. No one in their right mind would agree to such a contract.

This is true, but it's the YANKEES we are talking about. With the command of good ol' George, he'll find a way to get the best fucking prospects in baseball and still keep his team the way he wants too. As much as I hate the guy, he gets things done and he wins championships.

Give an example of how he'll do this. His farm system is in shambles, and they keep getting trading their prospects in July for a new bat.

He does nothing of the sort. History has shown us that when Steinbrenner has a competent GM and steps back and lets him mostly run things, the Yankees win. When Steinbrenner says "Fuck the GM" and tries to run the team himself, the Yankees lose.

Hawkins with the Cubs, hmmm. That could work well, as he's got a strong presence on the mound and he's leaps and bounds better than just about anyone they had in their pen in 2003. Still, he pretty much buckled when it mattered the most, but I still like the acquisition. Hopefully they start clearing out some of that dead space in their pen soon.

Guest FrigidSoul

I doubt anybody would be willing to take Bernie Williams in a trade unless the Yankees took back a bad contract from the other team. He's 35, makes alot of money, and has a horrible shoulder and knees.

They're stuck with him

Guest FrigidSoul

My morning sports radio show is saying The Dodgers told the Yankees "No" on a trade of Kevin Brown for Jeff Weaver. So fret not AngleSault, he'll still be there for you to see!

Also said that Oakland has offered Keith Foulke 4 years $24-25mill and the Red Sox have countered with 3 years with an annual salary of $6mill (so Oakland has basically offered Foulke the same but with one more year). Foulke is suppose to decide by Monday or Tuesday where he's headed.

Also said that Oakland has offered Keith Foulke 4 years $24-25mill and the Red Sox have countered with 3 years with an annual salary of $6mill (so Oakland has basically offered Foulke the same but with one more year). Foulke is suppose to decide by Monday or Tuesday where he's headed.

You know what's weird is that in the Bay Area the assumption has been the Red Sox were offering four years and that would finally end the A's chances of signing him as they wouldn't offer more than three years but it ends up being the complete opposite.

But god A's fans are pessimistic when it comes to signing free agents. Go to read the opinion of my fellow A's fans and they immediately assume that the offer by Beane is just to force the Red Sox to sign Foulke before December 7th so the A's get a first round pick, i.e. most of them think the A's are just full of shit with this offer. They completely ignore that with this offer, if accepted, Foulke gets no pay raise (he made $6 million last year) and the A's have been in talks with Fouke's agent for quite a while and its not like this is the first offer they've made and on top of that Foulke really wants to re-sign with the A's so that'd be a pretty huge risk to take on a guy that doesn't want to leave. A's fans just aren't used to their team making a real effort to sign one of their own so they assume they never will.

No, it should be the goal and only acceptable destination of every single team (no matter what the odds) to win it all every year.

I agree with this. Every team should go into the offseason thinking they can win it all. There's no point in crying about salary disparity anymore: look at the continued success of Oakland, last year's surprising Royals, and the world-champion Marlins, all of whom have achieved those levels on tiny payrolls when compared to the Yankees'.

However, AS, you have to realize that free agents aren't the only answer. I saw the Orioles sign a glut of free agents in the mid-1990s. They were good for two years, then chased the manager out of town and went into the shitter. Their farm system was decimated, and it's only now starting to show signs of serious recovery. You might get a couple years of short-term success, but you have to pay the piper in the long run. And unless the Yankees upgrade their below-average team speed and subpar defense, they're not going to win it all, no matter how many All-Star sluggers and pitchers they add to the roster. You still need people to catch the ball, and they've been noticably deficient in that area for two years now.

ESPN is reporting that the Yankees agreed to a 2-year, $6.8 million deal with reliever Paul Quantrill.

The Yankees are amassing the first billion-dollar bullpen in baseball history.

The Red Sox non-tendered Jeremy Giambi, making him a free agent. I'd like to see the Phillies pick him up again. After last season, he can be aquired cheaply. He's got potential, terrific plate disipline, and he reminds people of John Kruk. He can cover LF if Burrell doesn't pan out, and he's a good bat to have on the bench.

Hot off the presses...Eric Milton traded to the Phillies.

ESPN.com

The Philadelphia Phillies acquired left-hander Eric Milton from the Minnesota Twins on Wednesday for reliever Carlos Silva, infielder Nick Punto and a minor leaguer to be named after the Rule 5 draft, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports.