TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anakin Flair

iTunes Hacked

Not sure if this should go here or in Music, so I'll just put it here and let Dr. tom move it if he feels it is necessary.

ITunes Hacked!

Posted By Kenny Hammond on 11.28.03

Yeah, like no one saw this coming...

Apple iTunes is no longer a 100% safe service.

Well known 19-year old hacker John Lech Johansen discovered a way to get around the anti-copying program allowing him to download, open and play songs from iTunes.

Johansen promptly released a security-cracking program and a message entitled “So sue me”

Ironically, Johansen iTunes crack was released just days before he heads into a Oslo court facing DVD piracy charges.

Credit: Slashdot News

Send Feedback to Kenny Hammond

Nice way to fight the system :headbang:

Ironically, Johansen iTunes crack was released just days before he heads into a Oslo court facing DVD piracy charges.

Nice work keeping him under wraps, Norway

With iTunes, you can buy digital versions of songs for 99 cents apiece, or 9.99 or less for a whole digital album. The catch - beyond the fact that you have to pay - is that you can only burn the songs onto a limited number of CDs and copy them onto a limited number of computers. I think the file extension is .AAC or something like that. In any case, I think what this guy did basically circumvents the encryption Apple built into that file-type, and instead makes iTunes songs just like any old mp3, able to be burned and copied an infinite number of times.

Unless he actually hacked the iTunes system itself, which would be incredibly impressive...

I bet I could figure out a way to hack through it, even though I have limited knowledge. Just go to Cool Edit and record the line out as you'replaying the file, then save the soundwave reading of the song you just played as an MP3. I bet that would work.

Remember kkk.... no good deed goes unpunished.

I dunno...I once let some drunk guy on the streets of Worcester see my wang for free, just because I was in an exhibitionist mood...

Guest Razor Roman
With iTunes, you can buy digital versions of songs for 99 cents apiece, or 9.99 or less for a whole digital album. The catch - beyond the fact that you have to pay - is that you can only burn the songs onto a limited number of CDs and copy them onto a limited number of computers. I think the file extension is .AAC or something like that. In any case, I think what this guy did basically circumvents the encryption Apple built into that file-type, and instead makes iTunes songs just like any old mp3, able to be burned and copied an infinite number of times.

Unless he actually hacked the iTunes system itself, which would be incredibly impressive...

Couldn't you just burn the songs to CD once, and then rip them as MP3s?

Couldn't you just burn the songs to CD once, and then rip them as MP3s?

Yes, or you could record it in a sound recorder as someone else mentioned above. Both techniques give you quality loss. In the case of the CD thing, it's downsampled once as it's burned to CD, then downsampled again when encoded to the lossy MP3 format.