TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JMA

Spike regains feeling in left arm

Guest JMA
Spike regains feeling in left arm

by Phil Speer

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Dec. 1, 2003 -- Spike Dudley returned to live events this week after missing the last month and a half because he lost all sensation in his left arm.

After 10 years of in-ring wear and tear, Spike has developed degenerative disc disease -- or “wrestler’s neck.” Repeated impact to his neck and spine has forced the water out of his discs, causing swelling in the spine and, sometimes, numbness and pain in his appendages.

“I’ve had MRIs for the past couple of years on my neck,” said Spike, who was backstage today at RAW although he did not appear on the show. “I knew my neck was going. It’s been getting worse and worse over time.

“The swelling will go down (with rest), but the water never comes back. The more you wail on it, the worse it gets.”

Missouri?

ADVERTISEMENT

The problem intensified for him over the last few months, ever since La Resistance threw him over the top rope and the back of his head collided with a table. Then, during an October live event in Manchester, N.H., he collided hard against a turnbuckle, and his head whipped back. When that happened, both his arms momentarily went numb. Backstage after the match, his left arm went dead on him. That would prove to be his last match until just this past Friday in Las Vegas.

After that night in Manchester, Spike had virtually no feeling at all in his left arm for three full weeks – “but if I did feel anything, it was pain,” he said. Feeling slowly returned for the subsequent two weeks. Just last week, when he was cleared to return, he still had numbness in two fingers. It’s only been the last few days that the feeling has returned to his entire arm. After wrestling the last three nights, Spike reported no residual problems. “I feel pretty good,” he said.

Unfortunately, there’s little that Spike can do to avoid future problems. “There’s stretching and things like that, but due to the wear and tear on my neck, I’m limited in my range of motion,” he said. “There’s nothing I can do. You learn to live with it. You’ve just got to avoid whiplash as much as you can.”

Credit: WWE.com

Spike: And Vince, thanks to all those terrible bumps, I wound up losing feeling in my arm.

Vince: Oh Spike, that's a horrible story. Just horrible.

*Shannon Moore walks by*

Shannon....listen, go out there and have a match with Nathan Jones. Talk with Stephanie, she'll tell you about the safe bumps I've planned for tonight's Smackdown.

Shannon: Uh, sure Mr. MacMahon.

*Match starts. Insane moonsault bump, followed by repeated SICK throws over the top rope*

Vince: Spike, what a horrible....horrible.....1-2-HEGOTHIMNOHEDIDN'T! Oh, that Nathan Jones is a monster!

------------------------------------

.......Vince won't learn. He never does.

And you know in his first match back, he'll get tossed around like usual.

Well, with Jeff gone, he was Raw's designated bump machine for the heels.

why continue? Is the risk really worth this much?

If this was Jeff, Lita wouldn't think it was.

After 10 years of in-ring wear and tear, Spike has developed degenerative disc disease -- or “wrestler’s neck.”

It's fucking scary that this is so commonplace in the business now that this disease is nicknamed what it is.

And if I was booking I could have made Spike a legit champ, very sad day to know a guy who puts over everyone will never be able to become someone. imagine the pop if he beat scott hall that day....

Guest Mindless_Aggression

Good Lord. He has to avoid whiplash? In wrestling? At a buck 50? Everything he takes ends with his head whiplashing or bouncing violently off the mat.

Guest MikeSC
And if I was booking I could have made Spike a legit champ, very sad day to know a guy who puts over everyone will never be able to become someone. imagine the pop if he beat scott hall that day....

Spike could not become a legit world champ. He's tiny and his offense is weak.

He looked small in ECW --- not exactly a haven for big guys.

Yes, it's a shame he is injured. Unfortunately, the POTENTIAL for this is the ONLY reason he has a job anyway. Fans were always wondering if he'd survive the next match.

-=Mike