TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

Rock Interview: he will be in WWE from January

ANAHEIM, Calif. – Dec. 8, 2003 – Although The Rock didn’t use these exact words, it seems like the more movies he makes, the more he realizes he can never completely leave WWE behind. There is simply no other platform in the world for a gifted entertainer like The Rock to get that live, passionate, adrenaline-inducing response like he gets at WWE events.

When he appeared on the “Late Show with David Letterman” a few months ago to promote “The Rundown,” The Rock said he couldn’t envision a scenario in which he’d return to WWE. But then a few months passed. “And here I am,” The Rock said with a chuckle.

Currently traveling back and forth between his home in Florida and Los Angeles, where he’s doing preproduction work on “Be Cool,” the sequel to “Get Shorty,” The Rock just happened to be in the area tonight, and he agreed to make a surprise appearance on RAW.

“Be Cool” will be the most star-studded film in which The Rock has appeared. According to the “Great One,” the movie will feature John Travolta, James Gandolfini and Danny DeVito, who were in the original, as well as Uma Thurman and Cedric the Entertainer.

The Rock looked as fit as ever tonight, and the tattoo on his left shoulder has expanded. Recently the People’s Champion returned to Hawaii to add a few new details to his life-story tattoo (which was discussed in detail in the pages of GQ). Near his collarbone, he has a Samoan coconut leaf braid – when braided together, coconut leafs are unbreakable – which represents the bond of his family. Just under that is a Tiki face, which exemplifies fighting spirit. And on the back of his neck, just above the sun is a female spirit, which represents his daughter “and women in general because all the women over me stand strong.”

The Rock said there is still a bit more work to be done on the tattoo. But before he could return to the islands, he sat with WWE.com to discuss his schedule in early 2004, and much more.

WWE.com: How’d you end up here today?

The Rock: Just looking at my calendar, I knew that I had this week open. I was out here anyway, doing preproduction stuff for “Be Cool,” which is my next movie. I knew that I was coming back sometime in January, and I just wanted to get the ball rolling now and have fun.

WWE.com: So your schedule at the moment is …

The Rock: To come back in January. I’m going to be off in the month of February. They restructured the shooting schedule for me so I can shoot everything I need to shoot all the way through February. Then come back (to WWE) again, and build up for WrestleMania. After WrestleMania, I go into full-fledged press for “Walking Tall” (which will be released in April). After “Walking Tall,” I’ll go into full-fledged preproduction for “Spy Hunter.” WWE.com: So you’re confirming that you will be at WrestleMania.

The Rock: Absolutely. I just look forward to coming back and helping out where I can, and having fun in the process. Selfishly speaking, between the energy and the electricity – no pun intended – that I love giving and I love getting from crowds when they’re hot, I can’t get that anywhere else. That’s why I love coming back. Plus, I love the business.

WWE.com: What can fans expect from “Walking Tall”?

The Rock: It’s a movie inspired by a true story and actual events that took place in Buford Pusser’s life. We changed the name – instead of Buford Pusser, Chris Vaughn. It’s a dramatic movie with real action. What I mean by that is, there are no high-tech explosions or anything like that. It’s reality based – the story, as well as the characters. The action is real action. When it’s time to whoop ass, Chris Vaughn is whoopin’ ass. It’s that old-school violent action that’s missing. Plus, again, because it’s a true story, there’s not a lot of latitude that we took, and frankly, we didn’t want to take it because it’s an amazing story about a human being who decided to take justice outside the law. The whole Pusser family had come up to Vancouver. They helped a ton with all of our research. His daughter -- who played an integral part in his life and was the one who pulled him from his Corvette when he died -- she was there, and she was blown away.

WWE.com: Getting in the ring tonight with Mick Foley has got to bring back fond memories for you.

Rock: I love Mick, and I love working with Mick. Tonight is reminiscent of all the great stuff we used to do. Like Mick, it’s nice to give back to the business. It’s been really, really good to me, and him too.

WWE.com: What’s it like knowing that you’re going to walk through the curtain and the people are going to go absolutely crazy?

Rock: I’ve been geeked for days now just thinking about it. It’s a privilege. Again, regardless of whatever I do, film-wise, whatever I do, I will always need this.

Not only because it’s in my blood, but as an entertainer and as a performer, the opportunity to go out there and get a live reaction and a response, and generate that type of energy, I can’t do that anywhere else. And the character that I’m able to play in The Rock is so broad that I’m able to do and say anything. It’s not like Beck from “The Rundown” or Chris Vaughn is about to say, “How’s your lips? I’m gonna slap ‘em right off your face!”

From WWE.com

I can't tell you how excited I am to hear this! Last night I was watching the show, and when his music started up I INSTANLTY sat up and was on the edge of my seat. He sure does add something to WWE, I don't see how anyone can deny that.

For me, I want a Rock/HBK feud damnit! I've been wanting that for years and years, and right NOW is the perfect opportunity to pull the trigger on it. I know it wont be as great as it could've been back in the day, but damnit, I want it right now at least. It's one of the only WWE feuds that we never saw involving the "main guys" from the Attitude era...it could be something special.

*Crosses fingers*

Rock vs. John Cena

Rock vs. John Cena

Rock vs. John Cena

Rock vs. John Cena

Well, you can pretty much guess what feud I want to see. :P

And I'm glad The Rock is coming back. He can make a bad show great in just one segment!

I'd LOVE to see Rock on Smackdown tonight and put some other guys over who need it...hell, have the same scenario.

Popular babyface is in trouble, Rock comes out and helps him out.

*thinks*

Eddie is getting beaten down, but Chavo has left the building eariler in the night after being frustrated so Eddie is left alone...maybe to the Bashams?

Rock comes down and opens up a can of whoop ass.

Just saying...that's what I'd do. And if they want to do Cena/Rock, it also reminds the fan that Rock is indeed on both brands.

Guest JRE
I'd LOVE to see Rock on Smackdown tonight and put some other guys over who need it...hell, have the same scenario.

*thinks*

Eddie is getting beaten down, but Chavo has left the building eariler in the night after being frustrated so Eddie is left alone...maybe to the Bashams?

Just saying...that's what I'd do. And if they want to do Cena/Rock, it also reminds the fan that Rock is indeed on both brands.

...Rock would help Eddie....why?

What will be a heel for the Rock to face?

RAW: Kane? (If they push him hard and keep him as the top heel, Rock hasn't really had a full blown fud with him)

Smackdown: Vince? (never had the one on one feud Vince has had with everyone else)

Face it. Rock needs a heel turn.

*thinks*

-He's a big babyface

-Puts the Bashams (Or TWGTT, either or) over as more credible by doing a segment with Rock

-Because Chavo left, Eddie can't defend himself

-Establishes Rock can go to both brands

Why did Rock & Booker T become buddy-buddy when Rock helped him fight off Jericho & Christian? No explanation...other than they both were playing babyface.

So the same goes for here. Rock helping out midcard guys will do ALOT more for the company then Rock going to Smackdown tonight and beating up Vince for the 502098th time that helps no one out.

What will be a heel for the Rock to face?

RAW: Kane? (If they push him hard and keep him as the top heel, Rock hasn't really had a full blown fud with him)

Smackdown: Vince? (never had the one on one feud Vince has had with everyone else)

Face it. Rock needs a heel turn.

Definately agreed, and they need to do it if they want to do a Rock/Cena feud. They'll find someway to turn Rock, I'm sure.

Guest JRE

*thinks*

-He's a big babyface

-Puts the Bashams (Or TWGTT, either or) over as more credible by doing a segment with Rock

Why did Rock & Booker T become buddy-buddy when Rock helped him fight off Jericho & Christian? No explanation...other than they both were playing babyface.

So the same goes for here. Rock helping out midcard guys will do ALOT more for the company then Rock going to Smackdown tonight and beating up Vince for the 502098th time that helps no one out.

Jericho/Christian made sense because Christian had been ripping off him and Jericho had invited him onto the HLR in the first place. If The Rock were to surprisingly appear on Smackdown and help Eddie....it'd be done for no reason. He has no friendly history with Eddie- and no history at all with the Bashams or Chavo. Something would have to be setup prior to a surprise run in.

It'll help midcard guys, yes, but you can't just throw it out there. Last night made sense because of Foley. You can't just throw something out there- THIS is the community that is in firm support of logic and continuity- so let logic be.

Jericho/Christian made sense because Christian had been ripping off him and Jericho had invited him onto the HLR in the first place.

But that doesn't explain why Booker/Rock became buddy-buddy. No explanation was ever given for them having mutual respect with each other...so why can't the same be done for Eddie/Rock? For someone who is proclaiming the usage of logic, you certainly aren't using it.

And once again, it's to establish to the viewers that Rock is still allowed to be around on both shows. And Rock can beat whoever he wants up. That's what the logic is.

*thinks*

-He's a big babyface

How would that help either Eddie or the Bashams?

Bashams - makes the tag champs look like chumps by getting beat up by 1 person. Did Le Res look more credible by getting their asses kicked by Rock?

Eddie - he's not good enough, and needs help to fight his battles. Eddie is over enough on his own that he doesn't need to leech off Rock's heat.

Rock would overshadow everyone else involved.

Guest JRE
Jericho/Christian made sense because Christian had been ripping off him and Jericho had invited him onto the HLR in the first place.

But that doesn't explain why Booker/Rock became buddy-buddy. No explanation was ever given for them having mutual respect with each other...so why can't the same be done for Eddie/Rock? For someone who is proclaiming the usage of logic, you certainly aren't using it.

Because- in the case of the Raw mentioned, The Rock actually has a reason to team with Booker T...it's too fight off Christian- who had been annoying him, and Jericho- who was bugging him that night. THAT was why he suddenly teamed with Booker T...that is the reaosn.

The Bashams and Eddie would still be a totally random occurence...unless the Bashams had...say...did something to The Rock before hand, or actually called him out.

And yes, I see your point to establish that The Rock can be on both shows. But for one thing, it may not even be needed- if The Rock's just going to have one Wrestlemania feud with one Raw wrestler. And for another thing...Eddie/Bashams is STILL completely random and unlogical. Think of someone Rock has history with, or a reason to help or attack for your little fantasy booking. Hell, he might as well just cut a promo directed to no one, and be interrupted by Brock, Cena, Eddy, Benoit, the Bashams, whoever....but an attack....just wouldn't work out.

For me, I want a Rock/HBK feud damnit! I've been wanting that for years and years, and right NOW is the perfect opportunity to pull the trigger on it. I know it wont be as great as it could've been back in the day, but damnit, I want it right now at least. It's one of the only WWE feuds that we never saw involving the "main guys" from the Attitude era...it could be something special.

I want Rock/Brock II.

I couldn't agree with you guys anymore. :D

Guest Dynamite Kido

I also hate the fact that he only can come back for a short period of time. But nowdays with the WWE, The Rock coming back makes the show worth watching. This past Monday was THE best segment that La Resistance was EVER involved in. Simply because of the Rock. I am not even the biggest fan of The Rock either. The guy is the biggest star the company has and they NEED him right now. Hopefully this time around they can build off him working with some of the younger guys.