TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

The Worst Contracts In Baseball

With all the A-Rod hoopla, I've decided to explore some of the TRULY bad contracts in major league baseball to demonstrate that it can be worse. I've always maintained that A-Rod is not killing the Rangers. These players, however, are a drag on their teams. I give you the ten worst contracts in baseball. Years in parenthesis indicate an option year. For purposes of calculations, I assume these options are not exercised.

1. Chan Ho Park

$42 Million through 2006. ERAs of 5.75 and 7.58 since joining the Rangers. Park has shown no indication of pitching decently, let alone justifying his exhorbitant salary. Park's is the true contract that hurts the Rangers.

2. Ken Griffey Jr.

$66.5 Million through 2008 (2009). Quite simply, the Reds invest in a player who has problems making it to the field. Griffey still has talent when healthy. Still, until he can play full time, his contract is a stinker.

3. Mike Hampton

Approxomately $60 Million through 2008 (2009). Hampton will really hurt the Braves from 2006-8, when the Braves absorb the full brunt of his salary. Hampton became a good pitcher again after leaving Colorado, but he's being paid an awful lot for an awful long time.

4. Denny Neagle

$28 Million through 2005 (2006). Denny Neagle has to compete just to make the Rockies' rotation.

5. Darren Dreifot

$24 Million through 2005. 4.36 career ERA, a losing record, and less than 100 IP the last two seasons.

6. Bobby Higginson

$20.7 Million through 2005. Slugged less than .400 last year. Inexcusable for a $10 million player.

7. Pat Burrell

$47.5 Million through 2008. I'm betting that he rebounds, but if he doesn't the Phillies still owe him a ton of cash.

8. Derek Jeter

$145 Million through 2010. He gets paid nearly as much as A-Rod, hits worse, fields worse, but no one EVER mentions his contract. If he played anywhere else, the press would vilify him. No free passes here. Jeter doesn't deserve the money.

9. Todd Helton

$130.9 Million through 2011 (2012). He's hitting well enough to justify his pay now, but his contract runs another seven years. It's silly to offer contracts of that length. If he slips, he'll take the rest of the team with him.

10. Mo Vaughn

$17 Million through 2004 (2005). Quite simply, he's unlikely to play again. $17 million is alot to pay for nothing.

I'd like to know how A-Rod is an ok deal but Helton, who as you said hits well enough to justify the pay, is a bad deal.

Three things to take into consideration.

1. As Rant said, Helton is older than Rodriguez, by two years.

2. Helton's contract runs longer than Rodriguez's. Helton will be 38 when his deal expires, while Rodriguez will be 35.

3. Alex Rodriguez is currently the best player in his league. Helton is good, but not quite at that level. Rodriguez is possibly the best SS ever (outside of Honus Wagner). I'd hesitate to put Helton in the top 20-30 at his position.

I would have Jeter higher up the list. There is no excuse for him being paid 19 million a year. Even in the market at that time paying him 19 mil a year was silly. The only thing keeping him alive with that contract is that Steinbrenner doesn't care and spends more anyway. If this was any other team, like you said, he would be crippling them and you would never be able to dump him.

I'd like to know how A-Rod is an ok deal but Helton, who as you said hits well enough to justify the pay, is a bad deal.

2. Helton's contract runs longer than Rodriguez's. Helton will be 38 when his deal expires, while Rodriguez will be 35.

3. Alex Rodriguez is currently the best player in his league. Helton is good, but not quite at that level. Rodriguez is possibly the best SS ever (outside of Honus Wagner). I'd hesitate to put Helton in the top 20-30 at his position.

A-Rod maybe the best player in the league, but his contract alone merits him being on the list.

A-Rod maybe the best player in the league, but his contract alone merits him being on the list.

I agree

For him to justify that deal, he should have to hit 60 homeruns a year and bat .395 with 145 RBI

No one is worth the money A-Rod gets even if he is the best player in baseball and I don't even agree with that statement.

Guest FrigidSoul

You forgot to mention

Jason Giambi

2002: $8.0M (+$17.0M signing bonus paid over 6 years)

2003: $9.0M

2004: $10.0M

2005: $11.0M

2006: $18.0M

2007: $21.0M

2008: $21.0M

2009: Team option $22.0M or $5.0M buyout

Pitchers have figured out fastballs high and in on the hands equal automatic strike-outs and his knees are so horrible it will be quite funny watching him play 1b all year.

Jeff Bagwell

2002: $8.0M (+$15.0M signing bonus paid between 2002-6)

2003: $10.0M

2004: $13.0M

2005: $15.0M

2006: $17.0M

2007: Team option $18.0M or $7.0M buyout

He can't throw anymore and his shoulder is so bad that he may play 2 more full seasons at best. His swing doesn't help his shoulder problems any either.

Jeff Cirillo

2002: $6.125M (+$1.5M signing bonus)

2003: $6.425M

2004: $6.725M

2005: $7.025M

2006: Team option $7.625M or $1.25M buyout

I shouldn't have to explain this one at all

Manny Ramirez

2001: $13.0M (+$16.0M signing bonus paid over 5 years)

2002: $15.5M

2003: $18.0M

2004: $20.5M

2005: $20.0M

2006: $19.0M

2007: $18.0M

2008: $20.0M

2009: Team option $20.0M

2010: Team option $20.0M

The man can flat out hit but that's all he can do. He's a one tool player and his brain doesn't seem to work, which was shown when he said he wished to play for the Yankees...the biggest rival of the team he plays for now. Working harder and harder on his defensive skills every year, but until that lump of gray matter in his skull starts working he'll always be viewed as somebody making $7mill more than he should per year.

Drew Henson

2001: $1.0M (+$1.0M signing bonus)

2002: $1.0M

2003: $2.0M

2004: $2.2M

2005: $3.8M

2006: $6.0M

$17mill and he'll never see the majors because like Pedro Sorano he can't hit the curve; "Hit fastball very good...but curve...bat afraid"

honorable mention should be handed out to Kevin Brown who during his contract has averaged one healthy year for every 3 he's pitched...well Yankees fans, he had his one year last season; and Jermaine Dye...play a whole year without busting your leg and then get back to me.

I'd replace Griffey and Burrell with Giambi and Cirillo, myself, but I can't quibble too much with the list.

A-Rod's contract is bad, but there are definitely worse out there. The real kicker to it is that Tom Hicks basically outbid himself by $70 million, then had the termerity to expect someone else to pay so that he could be rid of that contract (to be fair, for one that's worse). Amazing. Hicks might be the stupidest owner in baseball.

Giambi, Cirillo, Henson and Ramirez were on my preliminary list, but they didn't make the cut. Giambi and Ramirez I couldn't justify listing as long as they were hitting. Same with Bagwell, who I didn't consider as just three years are left.

Cirillo yes, but I felt that $15 million total isn't quite as bad as the other deals. Same with Drew Henson. Some guys make that much in a single year without producing. I'll call it the Mo Vaughn rule.