TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ANKLELOCK

Gregg Williams and Dick Jauron Fired

Why???

I want Mora back period.

I mean, who could forget THESE Jim Mora classics?

From 1996 while coaching the Saints:

"We couldn't do diddley-poo offensively. We couldn't make a first down. We didn't run the ball. We didn't try to run the ball. We couldn't complete a pass. We sucked. The second half we sucked. We couldn't stop the run, everytime they got the ball they went down and got points. We got our ass totally kicked in the second half. It was a horsesh*t performance in the second half. Horsesh*t. I'm totally embarassed and totally ashamed. Coaching did a horrible job, players did a horrible job, we got our ass kicked in that second half. It sucked."

And this classic gem from when he was with the colts:

"Ah what? Playoffs??? Don't talk about...playoffs??! Are you kidding me? Playoffs??! I'll be surprised if we win another game."

Mora Jr said all of that?

and this...

And this classic gem from when he was with the colts:

"Ah what? Playoffs??? Don't talk about...playoffs??! Are you kidding me? Playoffs??! I'll be surprised if we win another game."

Sounds like something Herman Edwards said last year.

Atlanta is asking the 49ers permission to speak to Jim Mora Jr.

Atlanta can have him, he won't be missed by 49er fans.

Speaking of Bill Callahan, it sounds like his players hate him and don't trust him at all.

(Credit - ESPN.com)

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Beleaguered Oakland Raiders coach Bill Callahan looked the way he always does on Mondays following gameday: extremely tired with a day's worth of stubble on his face.

But the words he spoke, and those he didn't, conveyed a deeper sense of uncertainty about his future with a franchise that only a year ago he guided to the Super Bowl as a rookie head coach.

Callahan summed up the season in three minutes Monday, then marched out of the room without fielding questions.

The coach, according to The San Francisco Chronicle, already has cleared out his office in anticipation of being fired.

The Raiders finished a dismal 4-12 season with a 21-14 loss to San Diego. Oakland posted its worst record since also going 4-12 in 1997. The Raiders tied with three other teams for fewest wins in the league in the biggest collapse by a team that reached the Super Bowl the previous year.

For their poor performance, the Raiders earned the No. 2 pick in next year's draft.

"I addressed the team this morning and thanked them all for their efforts and contributions this season," said Callahan, who has refused to speculate whether he'll return next season, saying it's out of his control. "I know that we're all disappointed in the outcome, as I stated before, but I accept full and complete responsibility for the lack of success that we've had this year.

"As I told the team, I believe that we all learned some invaluable lessons, but the great thing is that we can all move forward and learn from this experience, personally and professionally."

The players seemed just as eager to get away as Callahan. Jerry Rice rolled down his car window, smiled and waved as he pulled away from team headquarters.

Charles Woodson made time to express his frustrations with Callahan, who deactivated Woodson and running back Charlie Garner before Sunday's game for missing curfew.

Woodson, a four-time Pro Bowl cornerback who could become a free agent, has been one of Callahan's most outspoken critics. He has called Callahan stubborn and said he lost the respect of his team.

"He's really made this thing personal," Woodson said Monday. "When things get personal, it's not a good situation to be around people that it's personal with. I won't play for him.

"He's not the type of person you want to be around. He's just really brought a really negative vibe to this team over the course of the season."

Callahan defended his decision not to play Garner and Woodson, citing his suspending center Barret Robbins for the Super Bowl after he disappeared the day before and missed team meetings.

"And my decision to bench them was predicated solely as my responsibility as a head football coach and also as responsibility to this team," Callahan said.

"The bottom line is that we're all accountable and as an organization, and I feel strongly that as a society, we cannot function without structure and we cannot function without discipline. There are consequences.

"I'm paid to manage this team, and in all fairness to the other team members I had to do what was necessary, as any leader would do in any organization. I cannot and will not accept lack of discipline on this football team."

Yet Woodson claims Callahan acted out of resentment. Woodson had already begun changing his clothes when he was called into Callahan's office before the game.

Woodson said he walked out on the coach while Callahan was still speaking. He and Garner flew home and skipped the game. Woodson did not attend a short team meeting Monday morning.

"Why?" he said.

"I didn't give him a chance to finish what he was saying because I knew he was doing it out of spite," Woodson said. "There was no reason for me to sit in there and listen any further to what he was talking about."

Bickering and infighting have been the theme of the Raiders' season.

It didn't help that 12 players were lost for the season with injuries, including 2002 MVP quarterback Rich Gannon, and his backup, Marques Tuiasosopo. Not to mention almost the entire offensive line.

While Callahan does have his supporters among the players, plenty of Raiders believe change is needed.

Raiders owner Al Davis, whose team was not able to live up to his "Just Win, Baby!" motto this season, is not known for his patience with coaches.

Even Tim Brown, the longest-tenured Raider, has his concerns about Callahan.

"I don't know if he's the guy who can bring this team back together," Brown said. "This year, he made things personal with this team. You can't do that. If he's back, it's going to take two to three years to fix this, because nobody trusts a word he says."

Guest Redhawk

I heard that Al Davis has never hired a head coach with previous pro head coaching experience; part of the reason being that he didn't want someone who would stand up to him too much. That being said, I could see him going after someone's coordinator (Wasn't the NYG o-coordinator, Sean Payton, a hot name a couple years ago?), an ex-Raider (Art Shell, maybe?) or a college coach (Rick Neuhiesel?).

I don't see why anyone with previous head coaching experience would want the Arizona job. They're like the Clippers of the NFL. And why would Fassell, who's been very successful, go to such a dead-end place? I could see him ending up with New Orleans. And the Saints job would be open because.....

I heard on ESPN radio Haslett has an out in his contract that says he can leave if the Bills job comes open.

Guest FrigidSoul

I heard Callahan belittled Charles Woodson in front of the other players last week and it almost cost him his entire secondary as they were about to no-show.

It's very simple why Dennis Green was not coaching this year. Why coach when you can still get paid by Red McCombs for the last year of your contract AND get paid by ESPN as an analyst.

I believe Jim Mora Jr. (the great quotable coach's son) will be the next Raiders coach.

Guest Redhawk

The Raiders are a bunch of pussies, end of story. Like they've never been yelled at by a coach before. When I was in high school our coaches belittled us all the time: during games, on the bus, during film, at practice...all in front of the team, by the way. Why is it that as a 16-to-18 year old I could handle that for free, but these grown men -- who are gonna get paid no matter how bad the coach talks about them -- can't? This whole time I had the feeling that the Raiders (Woodson in particular) were being whiny bitches, and that pretty much confirms it.

Now that they've gotten rid of Dick Jauron, are the Bears gonna fire offensive coordinator John Shoop as well?

Yeah Shoop is gone as well, I think thats one of the reasons Jauron got fired because he was too loyal to Shoop. Shoop was way too conservative and sometimes horrible on play calling, like on the game on Sunday resulted from bad play calling on offense. I like Jauron, I thought he was a good coach but management didn't do its job by surrounding him with good enough talent. Hopefully, Jauron will coach again.

Now that they've gotten rid of Dick Jauron, are the Bears gonna fire offensive coordinator John Shoop as well?

Yeah Shoop is gone as well, I think thats one of the reasons Jauron got fired because he was too loyal to Shoop. Shoop was way too conservative and sometimes horrible on play calling, like on the game on Sunday resulted from bad play calling on offense. I like Jauron, I thought he was a good coach but management didn't do its job by surrounding him with good enough talent. Hopefully, Jauron will coach again.

Guest Choken One

Am I the only one who thinks Buffalo NEEDS to get Lovie Smith?

Fassel should go to New Orleans if it opens.

Why is Lovie Smith so deserving? Same goes for Jim Mora, Jr. and Charlie Weis.

I'm not too sure. Charlie hasn't exactly set New England on fire with his offense and I think he is better suited as a coordinator. Although he might surprise some people if given the chance.

Lovie Smith has shown flashes of good but he has also shown that his defenses tend to have letdowns.

Jim Mora Jr has done a very good job in San Fran with the pieces he has been given. Plus his dad is a decent coach, well before he snaps after two or three seasons. Although David Shula didn't exactly set the world on fire when he stepped into the head coaching position.

Of all the coordinators, I think Romeo Crennel might be the one on the top of a lot of lists. He has been able to create a very impressive NE defense for a few years now and is able to work with almost any players he is given. I think he's like Marvin Lewis in the amount of respect he gets as a defensive coordinator but the total lack of respect he gets when teams want to hire a head coach.

Granted, I don't want him to leave NE for anything.

Guest Redhawk

As long as they're not recycling the same ol' head coaches, I'm fine with anyone's coordinators being hired. The NFL always uses the same guys to fill every job opening. Between them, Marty Schottenheimer, Dan Reeves, Jim Mora, Bill Parcells, Dick Vermeil and Dennis Erickson have probably coached every team in the league. And I've already heard Tom Coughlin's name come up for some of the new openings. I can't wait until next year, when Dave Campo and Marty Morningweh get head coaching jobs. Didn't these guys get fired for a reason?

Why is Lovie Smith so deserving?

This should answer your question:

a_lovie_i.jpg

Actually, I'm a Smith fan, but now I think that guy from New England would make a better head coach. However, I don't think a team would go wrong hiring either one...

I heard Callahan belittled Charles Woodson in front of the other players last week and it almost cost him his entire secondary as they were about to no-show.

What happened was Woodson and Garner missed a meeting. When they showed up for the game they were all ready to play and in uniform and Callahan called them into his office. He told them he had made them inactive for the game. When they went out and told everybody, everyone thought they were joking. When they realized it was true, some of the secondary talked about backing the players and not playing, but then realized they needed to play. This pissed the players off because normally you miss a meeting you get a fine. Romanowski busted a guys face and got a fine and missed one day of practice.

Tim Brown put the final nail in Callahan's coffin last night on the Raiders radio station by saying he also would never play for Callahan again and that Callahan was coaching to get fired. He also said Callahan told the team early on not to try to be his friend, the offensive line was a bunch of fat-asses and he'd love to coach against his weak defensive line.

Am I the only one who thinks Buffalo NEEDS to get Lovie Smith?

Fassel should go to New Orleans if it opens.

God...I hope so.

I have nothing against him...but he's a defensive coach. Bringing in someone who's going to change the ONLY WORKING piece of the team would be a disaster. They need to leave the defense alone and get someone to fix this offense.

Guest Redhawk

What happened was Woodson and Garner missed a meeting. When they showed up for the game they were all ready to play and in uniform and Callahan called them into his office. He told them he had made them inactive for the game. When they went out and told everybody, everyone thought they were joking. When they realized it was true, some of the secondary talked about backing the players and not playing, but then realized they needed to play. This pissed the players off because normally you miss a meeting you get a fine. Romanowski busted a guys face and got a fine and missed one day of practice.

Tim Brown put the final nail in Callahan's coffin last night on the Raiders radio station by saying he also would never play for Callahan again and that Callahan was coaching to get fired. He also said Callahan told the team early on not to try to be his friend, the offensive line was a bunch of fat-asses and he'd love to coach against his weak defensive line.

Something's not right here. How come Callahan was the greatest guy in the world last year, and all of a sudden everyone hates him?

Something's not right here. How come Callahan was the greatest guy in the world last year, and all of a sudden everyone hates him?

They lost and he's the head coach of the team with the most dangerous fans in football.

Plus Chucky won the Super Bowl.

Guest FrigidSoul

Something tells me Callahan will never be seen coaching any level higher than Middle School now.