TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zorin Industries

Wanting to get into MMA

I hear a lot of people talking about MMA in here and I have to say i'm intrigued. Can anyone direct me to a good place to get started. I quite like the sound of PRIDE if anyone hasany info on that. Thanks in advance.

Guest bort

The best shows i have seen are Pride Final Conflict and UFC 40, I know some wal-marts carry Pride Dvds, and if you know how to use IRC alot of new and older UFC is availble online

Guest OSIcon

Couple of ways to do it. Get Prides 1-6 from someone and watch the Sakuraba matches from 2-6 and the Takada main events (specifically from 1 and 4). Overall the shows suck but the Sakuraba matches are beyond entertaining. If you like Sakuraba, then you will be on your way.

Or get someone to do a Saku comp. Prides 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,GP Rd 1, GP Rd 2, GP Rd 3, 10,11,12,13,15,17......stop after that, unless you want to see him lose to opponents he shouldn't be facing.

I'm not a fan of UFC at all so I can't recommend any of those shows though Ortiz/Couture from 9/03 was full of story and drama, even if it technically wasn't fantastic.

Paul

Well I have Pride 10, 15, Grand Prix 2000. Also get UFC Hits as it is a best of highlight DVD from 1993 to 2002.

Stay away from King of the Cage and IFC DVDs unless you like minor league shows.

Suncoast has some cheap Pride and UFC DVDs as low as $9.99 so go there 1st.

I'll give my experience since I just started about 6 months ago. So you could probably relate to that.

Timeline

- RRR pimps PRIDE to no end that it gets stuck in my head

- PRIDE 26: Bad to the Bone comes around so I order it and really dig it.

- PRIDE Total Elimination. Loved this.

- At this point I started to work backwards getting the second part of PRIDE GP 2000 and Sak/Royce rocked.

- Picked up the Opening round to PRIDE GP. Dug it.

- Got PRIDE Final Conflict (the most recent PPV) and it fucking rocked balls.

- Picked up PRIDE 10 at Suncoast for $10 and it kicked ass with a Vovchanchyn/Inoue ass beating, Sak/Renzo Gracie was great. Mezger/Silva rocked. Throw in a couple sweet KOs and it made for a kick ass show.

And the productions they run kick ass kinds of ass. Their sets put WWF ones to shame. Just adding a little bit more to the showmanship and pagentry that people usually think doesn't relate to MMA.

Guest RickyChosyu

The "UFC Hits" DVD's are worth getting, mainly because they show you MMA's evolution as new techniques and styles develope over time. It also helps when you discover that many of the UFC fighters ended up working in PRIDE at some point.

UFC Hits does show Frank Shamrock and Victor Belfort! I found a KOC 2 DVD for $5.50 at Walmart a few weeks ago it was The Begining and Desert Storm shows. I would like to compare these KOC shows to the old American1 network wrestling shows, as it does show some modern day stars but it was very early in their careers so it can be hard to watch.

If anyone's interested I can send a tape to them with a lot of good Pride matches on it. Just post a reply or drop me a line.

As far as historical singnificance, you can't do much better than Pride 4, 8, Grand Prix Finals, and 10 (Return of the Warriors). After you watch those, you'll get an idea about what Pride is all about. Pretty much every Pride has been worth watching since no. 10, with possible exceptions being 18, 21, and 24; although 21 and 24 make up for it with two killer matches in Frye/Takayama and Nogueira/Henderson.

If you're talking about matches, a good starting point for someone just getting into MMA is Newton/Matsui from Pride 6, probably the best Pride match ever, with the possible exception of Pele/Newton from Pride 19.

Edited by benoitrulz4life

Figure I'll throw this in here.

Pretty sure it has been asked before, but how is the full set of King of the Cage (101 fights/$20)? Worthy of purchase?

Fucking Suncoast is just rocking it with these DVDs. Everything else they have is overpriced like a motherfucker, but the MMA dvds are slipping through the cracks which kicks ass. Picked up Pride 12,14,17 today (total $30) and if they suck I am quitting with PRIDE and am going to tell everyone in the WWF folder that RRR is full of shit with this MMA stuff. You better hope I like it RRR. :)

Yes, this was mostly a been up for 20 hours rambling post.

LOL!

(From my "recommendations" list)

Pride 12 - Silva vs. Henderson rules. Sakuraba vs. Gracie is really good. This was the first Pride a friend-of-mine saw and he became instantly hooked.

Pride 14 - Daijiro Matsui vs. Pele is really, really good. Shoji vs. Henderson is non-stop. Silva continues to build his reputation. Mezger vs. Liddell is back-and-forth action with a sick finish.

Pride 17 - a really awesome bout between Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera and Heath Herring. One of the best heavyweight fights you will see. This is the show where they determine the 2 champions (Heavyweight and Middleweight) and it’s in the Tokyo Dome so the atmosphere is amazing. This show has a lil bit of everything on it and features mainly current fighters.

I think you will be VERY pleased :)

101 fights for $20, I would imagine, is a good deal. I bought 60 fights for that much (Gladiator Challenge), and I was pleased - even if it wasn't "the greatest thing ever" . I mean, if you haven't seen Bang Ludwig vs. Shad Smith, thats worth the $20 alone :)

The KOTC box set is well worth the 20 bucks. Sure, there are guys that had no business in the ocatgon in some of the fights, but it has some great fights and highlight reel worthy finishes (IE- Chris Brennan's high kick vs. Antonio McKee, Jerry Bohlander's armbar on Brian Foster).

I'd also like to recommend the documentary "Rites of Passage." Althoug I usually show it to people who are totally new to MMA, dman near anyone with some interest can enjoy it. Not only does it have some great fight footage, but it also gives some decent background info on sport and soem of it's fighters.

Guest neodragonsan

Until you're firmly into MMA, avoid Pride 1 undercard fights...

Dan Severn vs. Kimo still causes me nightmares...

If you have a Frys Electronics near you, you will see that they have dedicated an entire wall to Pride/UFC. Oh and "King of the Cage" too.