TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

The NCAA 2004 Dynasty Thread

Why give up on Army so fast? I'm playing Franchise mode of NFL 2K3 as Seattle (when they weren't too good.) and Im sticking it out. I know this isnt related to the thread.

Eh....I like my in-state team better. I may give Army a chance b/c of the cool name...they have about the same skill level.

I vaulted up to #2 in the BCS thanks to Wazzou, Miami, Oklahoma, and Nebraska all losing in the last four weeks of the year. Still only ranked #4 by the coaches, but the media has me at #2. Colorado is my opponent in the national title game if I can get past #9 Arkansas (they lost also) in the SEC title game.

To continue, in the 3rd off-season, I turn down a job at Nittany and stay with the Spartans, recruiting a trio of fine wide outs. And Miami starts out as the #1 and we Spartans begin at #37, which is absolute blasphemy in my eyes.

So what do I do in my scheduling?

That's right; Miami... You. Me. RIGHT HERE in this very ring. Week 1: SJSU at #1 Miami to start off the 4th season campaign.

First half. I'm pissed, I'm ready to whip some ass. Second play of the game: We fumble, Miami picks up the ball and finds the endzone. Shit...0-7 in under a minute with 5 minute quarters. We continue to struggle on offense, but our big D hustles to help our field position after punts and we end up with a field goal. The half ends with the score 3-7, Miami leading.

Third Quarter: Hijinks ensue as Miami fumbles the ball deep and my #2 CB tries to run it back...and fumbles himself. Miami picks up the first down off the giveaway and things are looking bleak as they convert for a TD with a minute to go in the quarter. Miami is up by 11, score is 3-14.

Fourth Quarter: We start off on our own 45 and I get crazy with the Hail Mary on a third and long. Miami goes deep, but I hot routed all 5 WRs into an all hooks and sling it to my speed WR and he's to the twenty with about 4 minutes to go. My redzone attempt struggles but I finally plow into the endzone with my FB to shrink it down to a 4 point Miami lead with a little under 3 minutes to go.

We stick Miami's special teams within their own 20 but Miami goes clock killer on us with the run. They seem to be succeeding, getting to their 40, causing us to burn a time out in the process. The run attack continues, but my MLB says Hi to the RB and pops the ball out of his hands. Miami recovers but it takes a hell of a bounce back and they have a third and 20 situation on their hands with about 1:45 left. Timeout SJSU.

Next play, we blitz but the QB gets a short pass off in the open. Two CBs give chase and we get him just short of moving the chains. Final timeout is burned to give us about a minute and a half to run our two-minute drill. And that turns out to be unnecessary as my WR plays a game of Run, Crazy Mofo, Run and finds the endzone off the punt. SJSU up by 2. We show balls by going for two, but fail.

Now Miami gets to play two-minute drill with the 1:15 seconds given to them after the kickoff. They start at their 25 and proceed to torch me twice deep and find themselves at our 40 with 0:45 seconds to go and I'm getting pissed. I finally get some slack as I sack their QB off a well-timed line shift forcing them to go back 5 yards and burn a time out. Now a second and long and the pass is batted down. 3rd and 15 with :40 seconds to spare. We blitz our linebackers and he forces it out to the sidelines...and right into my #2 CB who redeems himself by making the huge pick. I immediately run him out of bounds to seal the deal.

Our next drive is academic: Kneel down, Miami timeout, kneel down, Miami timeout, kneel down, and we celebrate on the field because we finally beat the damn Hurricanes 16-14. We're 1 and 0, bitches.

My heart dances like an idiot as I see my Spartans skyrocket to #12 and Miami fall to #17 in the polls.

I'm not sure if I can finish this season now. Just beating Miami finally is enough for me.

Why give up on Army so fast? I'm playing Franchise mode of NFL 2K3 as Seattle (when they weren't too good.) and Im sticking it out. I know this isnt related to the thread.

Eh....I like my in-state team better. I may give Army a chance b/c of the cool name...they have about the same skill level.

Choose a small team in Oklahoma then.

Choose a small team in Oklahoma then.

I did.......the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes.

Awesome story, CED.

The Ravers won the SEC title in the MOST BORING GAME EVER, 17-0. Man, even Kirk Herbstreit asked "where was the offense?" at the end of the game.

ONTO THE FIESTA BOWL AGAINST THE COLORADO BUFFALOES FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP~!

10-0 at the end of the first quarter, and the only thing saving Colorado from a 17-0 deficit is an endzone interception. Seriously, how they ended up playing me in the title game baffled me as I ended up winning 52-21 after the game did all it could do to prevent me from widening my lead when I was up 28-14, like THREE STRAIGHT FUMBLES (the third was finally recovered by the computer) and a 104 yard kickoff return and such.

Into the off-season I go, and I'm setting it on Heisman now, as I'd been playing All-American. I'll schedule Top 25 teams for my open dates, but not the Top 10 like I usually do. I can do that next season.

Well I've decided to go back to Army.

Since I just learned to play the game I'm still not as good as I should be.

I don't know the proper situations to spin or juke but i'm learning. Usually I just try to power through someone.

Plus my passing sucks.

But I'm moving on up.

Army went 1-11 in 2002 according to this thing(they actually went like 0-12 in real life this season) so I figured if I can go 4-8 or something I can redeem the team a little and move on up with some good recruits.

:( I just don't get it. I really don't.

I've got a cupcake team in my created PAC-10 Canada Comets, but every single game I've been in it tight. My very last game was against Washington State (#18) and I only lost by 9 points.

What really gets me is that I've got like fabulous luck on defence. I mean, I had them PINNED in their own endzone for at least 10 minutes.

Think I could capitilize on the three chances I got to retaliate in their endzone? No.

Gr... I'm just happy my star, my HB is back. I so need him to help me.

Oh, and currently, I'm running the best run defense out there right now. FIGURE THAT ONE OUT!

Are you getting burned on big plays? I usually have a good defence and sometimes will not audible out of a blitz into zone coverage in time and get burned.

No. I'm not audibling. That's what weird. And I only blitz when I know I'm doing good. When I was playing that one game with the excellent coverage, I mean, I'm ALMOST sacking him with normal 4-3 plays. I just had some good luck I guess.

Seriously, I "had" the best run defense. I started up a new Dynasty mode here though cause game decided to be an ass with my pass defense and fuck me over.

Seriously, I know USC is good, but when each fucking passing attempt is not only DEFLECTED but COVERED BY 4 DIFFERENT PEOPLE, I shouldn't be getting HAMMERED WITH THE BASTARD ALWAYS CATCHING THE BALL. I mean come on now... Once is good, but 12 times is a little much. Especially when my defender CLEARLY HAS INTERCEPTED IT.

Actually, I've always been good at run defense. My passing defense is suseptable though. Not too good there. But still, come on now.

Weird thing is though, if I blitz big time, be prepared to get fucked. I'm very good at blitzing.

I'll give a report of my dynasty once I get my new one up and running. Canada Tech Comets will be kicking PAC-10 ass.

...hopefully. We'll see how it goes. I'm trying to figure out a good playbook scheme. I didn't mind West Coast, but I don't have many pass options. I like to pass a decent amount as I run.

Ok I played a couple of games with Army...they just plain suck. I couldn't even beat fucking Harvard.

So I've chosen The Troy State Trojans...maybe I can eventually beat those impersonator Trojans from SoCal.

So I come in with a Team Prestige of * and ranked 95. But they went 4-9 last season...so they should be a little bit better than those damn Black Knights.

Oh yeah...where is Troy State?

Ok I played a couple of games with Army...they just plain suck. I couldn't even beat fucking Harvard.

So I've chosen The Troy State Trojans...maybe I can eventually beat those impersonator Trojans from SoCal.

So I come in with a Team Prestige of * and ranked 95. But they went 4-9 last season...so they should be a little bit better than those damn Black Knights.

Oh yeah...where is Troy State?

You'll probably get whooped as Troy State as well. You have to accept that the first season is probably going to suck until you get some recruits in.

Vitiated Spirit made a big point that's always pissed me off. Every pass play has at least four of the defenders swarming my receiver the moment the ball is thrown to him, sometimes as many as seven (I counted that many against Ole Miss once)! Meanwhile, when the computer tries to pass, just my one dude is on the receiver, two if he was double-covered.

Vitiated Spirit made a big point that's always pissed me off. Every pass play has at least four of the defenders swarming my receiver the moment the ball is thrown to him, sometimes as many as seven (I counted that many against Ole Miss once)! Meanwhile, when the computer tries to pass, just my one dude is on the receiver, two if he was double-covered.

About my only problem with NCAA and the Madden series.

Pass defence is suspect in the game. Not just because someone isn't as good.

Oh yah, I found out awareness was shitty on my defenders... Might explain some things there.

OH~! I had to start ANOTHER new season as my data was corrupted (ie: I clicked reset during a save... I was half asleep at the time), so I had to redo up the Canada Tech Comets (starting at 75 of 110).

I replaced Stanford and went with Academic rating, added a 74 QB, a 74 WR and an 82 WR to my team. Then went Balanced Pass to get some more pass options (I really don't use too many different run plays, pass lots, so eh). So here's hoping something good happens.

My first game, I made against #5 Kansas State, and is game of the week. Hopefully, I pull out a dazzling win... I wish.

I haven't experienced that too much. I look at the defense at the line up. Only time I see that by myself or the CPU is when you are playing zone coverage and you have the CB, FS/SS, and at least one LB on the play.

Just don't throw when the D goes into zone defense.

or run plays that attack zones. The key to football games for me is applying what i know about football to the game. Im not gonna throw deep on a cover 2, but i will attack the middle of the field. Run slants and crosses on man coverage. Being a reciever and safety in high school helped me tons with this game because i know what works and what doesnt

I have an air raid style of offense in NCAA Football. I just go for alot of short yards with my wide recievers running hooks and drags within 10 yards and let them try to get the first on the run after the catch. And to give me the time I need, I pump fake ALOT.

I have an air raid style of offense in NCAA Football. I just go for alot of short yards with my wide recievers running hooks and drags within 10 yards and let them try to get the first on the run after the catch. And to give me the time I need, I pump fake ALOT.

What playbook you use? I'm trying to find one that has lots of those plays, because I love that style.

Although, currently, I'm using Heavy Pass because its the only one letting me get a ton of passing plays that I'll use.

I never pump fake, I rarely throw screens, and I rarely pay attention to the type of pass defense because I run so much. The Ravers play a very old-school, hard nosed style of football. I'll run all the way down the field if the defense lets me. I seriously only pass when it's neccessary or if the CPU pissed me off by scoring a cheap manner on their previous possession. Running so much also guarantees that the play-action pass works every time I use it, and I always use it for huge, 30+ yard gains. Yeah, I play like it's an arcade game when I get pissed off.

And my tight end is friggin' AUTOMATIC when I throw it to him. I almost feel like I'm cheating when I use him in a play.

I love passing a ton as well yet I rarely if ever pump fake(I've only done it like once in my entire time playing Madden or the NCAA series). I like to run as well but I usually pass more

Kotz, it's not your fault that your TE is so good.... do you think Mike Ditka was going, "Walter Payton is so good.... I shouldn't play him!"? No. Use the TE if you need. My receiver is godlike, and I take advantage of it, 3rd down and 4th down belongs to him.

:( Man am I depressed.

So I decided against playing KS right, cause I figured I'm facing enough # teams so I dropped them and add TA&M instead in my second week.

I switched to Heavy Pass and felt good heading in when I made two TDs. Then everything went wrong. I was picked off 5 times, sacked 3 times, 6 TOs as a whole, and countless crap that killed my game.

I had 500+ yards by PASSING ALONE... Shit that's all I did...

I hammered them, I burned them badly. I had one receiver with 200+ (291 to be precise) yards that's how badly I was killing them. Yet the TOs killed me. Dammit.

I lost 24-13... Bad loss considering it was mine to lose.

I would say switch to Run and Gun and see how that works. There are some good run plays and that will allow you use the play action.

The game WILL catch on to you passing all the time and drop the LB into zone coverage or blitz the ever loving shit out of you.

I would say switch to Run and Gun and see how that works.  There are some good run plays and that will allow you use the play action.

The game WILL catch on to you passing all the time and drop the LB into zone coverage or blitz the ever loving shit out of you.

Well all the picks were just "bad luck". Same with the one fumble.

But it's pissing me off cause I CAN'T do anything because I'm playing like superior teams (not by choice but by schedule) so I'm DOOMED.

Ugh... This isn't going well. I'm already down 7-0 to O-State... Great...

Edit: Correct, in about 2 minutes, I just threw down the field for a score. Nevermind. I can still kill them with the pass. Hot Route is my friend.

Edited by Vitiated Spirit

:angry:

ARGH~! I'm tired of facing the BEST guys... Which one of these stupid leagues isn't full of 30 below rankings... This is insane... I'm not liking how lucky these idiots are getting. It's ridiculous...