TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kaertos

Flik, yeah buddy, that server is perfect for a static web site, but not quite what I need. I appreaciate the offer though.

No problem. I have this server doing nothing here, so I figured I'd at least offer.

Guest Evolution

If I can be one to assume, I assume that what you mean by "static" is a site that is simple and doesn't have anything to do with anything like databases or something similiar.

If this is the case, then why do we need to go past a static web site? Honestly, we just need SOME kind of site for the SWF.

Maybe I'm just being impatient.

Well, no. I never went to college, I'm dumb I know. Until rather recently when I seriously started looking for a professionial IT job and saw how many people want folks with a Bachlor Computer Science for jobs. It seems like a good idea to go now, BUT I am tired of working the crappy job I do now where it requires me to put in 50 + hours every week, and I really really really just want a computer related job.

Besides, even if I have a degree how is that going to make me Admin a Database any better? I think HR departments just want you to have a college degree just for the sake of having one, which too me seems like a waste if your not going to put that knowledge to use. Not to mention that I see postings for "Oracle9i admin - must have 5 years experience." and the program is barely 2 years old.

Having said all that, I am hoping to obtain a degree while working in the field that I want to be in already. :)

Well, the reason everyone is looking for a BS in Computer Science or a related field is because since the Dot Com bust, programmers are a dime a dozen. So many people are getting into the IT field, they want a tangible way to weed out people who they don't think will be able to cut it. Of course, we all know that in IT, a degree is useless and means nothing, but people need something tangible...and just being good isn't tangible. 10 years ago, you didn't need a degree and no one cared, but now since so many people are coming in and murkying up the waters, companies are more selective. It happens in every field...start new and take good people who may or may not have degrees...get flooded...demand degrees.

Da "Lesson: get your degree" H

PS - They basically mean 5 years of experience as a DB admin or some other similar discipline. It's not hard fast usually...if you only have 3, you'll be fine. Even if you've just been in IT as a programmer for 5 years, they'll usually listen to you.

If I can be one to assume, I assume that what you mean by "static" is a site that is simple and doesn't have anything to do with anything like databases or something similiar.

If this is the case, then why do we need to go past a static web site? Honestly, we just need SOME kind of site for the SWF.

Maybe I'm just being impatient.

Duran,

Yes, static means that it's just text or images that are not maintained by any CMS (content management system) and are not data driven.

We need a data driven site with some semblence of a CMS because people like me, Johnny, Mark, Atlas have to update static sites too often...and that means we have to FTP to the server, download the file, edit the HTML, change the images, upload teh finished file...blah, blah, blah. It's too much work. WAY too much work. If we have a CMS in place, people up update it from anywhere and don't have to edit HTML. They can just take the card the wrote for the boards, paste it into a field on the site, and bam...the card is updated on the site. Make sense?

I promise you...a data driven site is very necessary...otherwise, the site would get updated for like 2 weeks, and then not again for another 6 months. That's they way it's happened for a long time now, and we're trying to change it so that we can have more of a web presence and actually attract some new people here.

Da "damn non-programmers/web developers expecting us to type our fingers raw....DIE" H