TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheex Incarnate

Alien/Predator novels

I was looking around the AVP thread in the movie section and evidentally, there are copius amounts of books/novels for both Predator and Alien franchises. I was aware of the comic books, but not actual novels. Can anyone give me the 411 on what htey deal with, im interested enough that i might pick up a few. thanks

-Cheex

They suck. Problem solved.

The only decent Aliens/Predator book ever was a 12 issue comic maxi-series Claremont wrote years ago. I haven't even been able to find every issue, and it's never been reprinted as far as I'm aware.

The Predator books aren't nearly as good as the Alien books. I own one Predator novel where it takes place in Siberia (forget the title), and an AvP book I also forget the title of. The best Aliens books, however, are all done by SD Perry. They are Earth Hive (based on the original 12-issue comic series done by Dark Horse entitled, simply enough, Book I), Nightmare Asylum (based on the 4-issue Dark Horse series entitled Book II), and The Female War (which SD wrote with his wife, based on the 4-issue Dark Horse series entitled Earth War). Those are all intertwining stories (in the comics, the main characters are Hicks and a teenage Newt, so keep in mind that the comics were all released between '89 and '92, before Alien 3 was released, and in the novels the main characters are similar to Hicks and Newt but with different names), and are quite epic if you're into the Aliens mythos like I am.

ALL AvP COMICS KNOWN BY ME:

Aliens vs. Predator

Aliens vs. Predator: Deadliest Of The Species

Aliens vs. Predator: Duel

Aliens vs. Predator: War

I own at least one issue of each (both issues of Duel, and three issues of War). Decent work, but they were all done when Dark Horse started to drastically drop in quality (since every other comic company was taking their more adult-oriented style).

I've happened to read quite a few of SD Perry's books, thru the Aliens series and various other stuff, and I've come to know his style pretty well (the man is OBSESSED with guns). Weird thing: he wrote the novelization of The Mask, ya know, the Jim Carey flick. It was pretty weird reading a page-long description of the bad guy's pistol and ammo in a book version of The Mask of all damn things.