TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

"That '70s" Era Over?

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,13383,00.html

"That '70s" Era Over?

by Lia Haberman

Stash the Tab, eight-tracks and Vista Cruiser. The '70s are over.

Common knowledge to the rest of us, the time warp's just catching up to the cast of Fox's That '70s Show.

Cast members Topher Grace and Ashton Kutcher are not expected to return after their seventh, and apparently final, season in 2005, according to several reports.

During interviews to promote his new film, Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!, Grace told reporters that he and Kutcher were going to quit after the current season but decided to stick around an extra year.

And they're not the only ones who want the leisure suit decade to come to a close. "We're doing one more year and after that then we will probably be done," costar Wilmer Valderrama, told the New York Post. "After seven years of doing the same character, you sort of want to take a break."

The cast's contracts expire after the 2004-05 season.

Not willing to comment on the reports, a Fox spokesperson said, "It's been picked up through next year but nothing's been decided beyond that."

The sitcom, revolving around Wisconsin teen Eric Forman and his wacky family and friends, debuted in 1998. While never a top 10 Nielsen placer, the show has consistently attracted coveted young viewers.

More than anything, the laffer's served as a springboard for Kutcher and Grace.

Hailed as the show's breakout star, Kutcher's parlayed his small-screen success into feature film roles, his own reality series and a relationship with Demi Moore.

While the Dude Where's My Car? star pulled the plug on MTV's Punk'd this year he is expected to return to the music network with another improv series, My New Best Friend, later this year.

Currently starring in the dark thriller The Butterfly Effect, Kutcher had the last laugh when his movie, widely panned, came in first at the box office, debuting with a take of $17 million last weekend.

Grace, the TV show's leading man, didn't fare as well in the box-office battle against Butterfly. Win a Date with Tad Hamilton! also opened last weekend but failed to pull in more than $7 million.

But, in general, Grace has received more critical acclaim for his acting chops in movies such as Traffic and Mona Lisa Smile.

He recently wrapped the romantic comedy P.S. opposite Laura Linney, which he'll follow up with Synergy, a movie written and directed by Chris and Paul Weitz (About a Boy). The comedy, which begins production in March, also stars Dennis Quaid and Scarlett Johansson.

Guest Ghettoman

Eh, I didn't even really like the whole 70's angle to it, I just liked the characters and thought the show was fun.

Tis a shame, I thought it could go to the 10 season mark.

Well if they had just waited until NOW to do the 80's show then they would have probably been ok with the current 80's love.

It's a portable phone!

Eh, I didn't even really like the whole 70's angle to it, I just liked the characters and thought the show was fun...

That's precisely why this show worked and That '80s Show tanked. The latter was more concerned with pushing the '80s references and culture instead of giving us characters we could give a damn about.

As far as Topher and the crew, good for them. Better to bow out gracefully than to overstay your welcome. (Yes, Mr. Austin, I'm looking directly at you.)

BTW, does anyone think the show jumped the shark? If so, at what point?

The latter was more concerned with pushing the '80s references and culture instead of giving us characters we could give a damn about.

But... it had the openly bisexual chick who was after the main dude's sister... and the spikey-haired punk chick... and an ASIAN YUPPIE~!

Hasn't really jumped the shark, but there have been some real stinker episodes, like the musical with Roger Daltrey, or the one where Eric's cousin (incidentally, played by the bi chick from T8S) claims not to be his cousin so as to lure him into a near-incestual tryst as revenge (this one seems to be real popular, but I thought it was one of the worst eps I ever saw, esp. given the promotion and buildup for it)

Guest El Satanico
The latter was more concerned with pushing the '80s references and culture instead of giving us characters we could give a damn about.

But... it had the spikey-haired punk chick

She was the only thing worth watching the show for.

But... it had the spikey-haired punk chick

She was the only thing worth watching the show for.

And then a couple months after T8S went off the air, the same girl showed up in "Girl's Club," which I remember being heavily promoted over the Fox MLB postseason, although the lump sum of time devoted to the commercials was longer than how many episodes actually aired

Guest OctoberBlood

Grace is a very fine actor. He'll have more and more projects.

The show has ran it's course. Not much else you can do. I use to watch it alot, haven't for the last 2 season that much though.

well, there was this one episode when i think it was Fez or Eric, literally jumped the shark!

heeeey.....