TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

2004 Hall of Fame Class

Associated Press

HOUSTON -- John Elway and Barry Sanders made the Pro Football Hall of Fame on their first attempt Saturday, making it look as easy as everything else they did in their spectacular careers.

Elway, the winningest quarterback in NFL history, and Sanders, No. 3 in career rushing, were joined by Bob Brown and Carl Eller.

Two other finalists, Dallas tackle Rayfield Wright and wide receiver Bob Hayes, didn't receive enough votes to make the hall.

Also denied entry after making the final 15 were Harry Carson, Richard Dent, Cliff Harris, Lester Hayes, Bob Kuechenberg, Jim Marshall -- a teammate of Eller and Page -- Art Monk, George Young and Gary Zimmerman.

For Elway, who led the Denver Broncos to Super Bowl championships in his final two seasons, the selection was a reward for his remarkable skills, leadership and longevity.

"I'm really kind of speechless to be honest with you," Elway said. "Just truly honored to be named to the Hall of Fame with the greats of all time.

"I want to tell every guy I played with, 'Thanks,'" Elway said.

The first choice in the 1983 draft -- the Year of the Quarterback, with six selected in the opening round -- Elway lost his first three Super Bowls, all in routs. But he guided the Broncos to the 1997 and '98 NFL championships, capping his illustrious career with a Super Bowl MVP trophy.

Elway won 148 games and was the 1987 league MVP. He will be the only Bronco in the Hall of Fame when he is inducted this summer.

Unlike Elway, Sanders retired in his prime at 31. He was 1,457 yards from the career rushing record, then held by Walter Payton.

"When I think about the Hall of Fame, it seems like that's something that happens to someone else," Sanders said. "You think Dick Butkus, Walter Payton, names of that light. To be here, I truly feel, in some ways a little out of place."

Speaking about himself and Elway, he said: "They saw something that was unique in us, something they might not see on any old Sunday.

Sanders was the first player to rush for 1,000 yards in his first 10 seasons and he led the league in rushing four times. In 1997, he was co-MVP with Brett Favre after rushing for 2,053 yards, only the third player to exceed 2,000 yards in a season. He ran for 100 yards or more in 14 consecutive games.

"The guy would have held every record in the NFL if he hadn't retired," Elway said. "It's truly an honor to go in with a guy like Barry."

Brown, a six-time Pro Bowl tackle for the Eagles, Rams and Raiders, was one of the most fearsome blockers of his time. The second overall pick in the 1964 draft, the 6-foot-4, 280-pounder -- small by today's standards -- was a dominant player until retiring in 1973.

"I beat on people from the opening kickoff," Brown once said. "I try to take a toll on them."

Eller, a mainstay of the Minnesota Vikings' Purple People Eaters defensive line, played 16 seasons and 225 games. A five-time All-Pro, he used speed and guile to trap quarterbacks long before the sack was an official statistic.

Eller, who played in four Super Bowls, joins Vikings defensive linemate Alan Page in the hall.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elway and Barry were obvious first year inductees. I'm more happy for Barry, as he's the best running back of my generation, and he's one of my favourite players ever. I'm pretty much indifferent to John.

Congrats to another Viking in the HoF

eller1.jpg

Now if Marshall could finally get in, we'd be set

Also, congrats to Wichita's favorite son getting in as well (as though there was any doubt)

Funny thing is that I went to the HoF website, and they already have pages for the four inductees.... only there's one thing wrong with Barry's Page

If they've corrected it by the time you may see this, I saved the gaffe here

Guest FrigidSoul
Funny thing is that I went to the HoF website, and they already have pages for the four inductees.... only there's one thing wrong with Barry's Page

If they've corrected it by the time you may see this, I saved the gaffe here

Elway should have won more than 2 SBs since he had Barry Sanders all those years *grin*

Art Monk is screwed once again.

I don't know about the other two, but there's no chance that I'd put Art ahead of either Elway or Barry.

He doesn't have to go ahead of Sanders, Elway, or even Eller. There's no rules that says only 3 players can make it from the writers.

I don't know about the other two, but there's no chance that I'd put Art ahead of either Elway or Barry.

He doesn't have to go ahead of Sanders, Elway, or even Eller. There's no rules that says only 3 players can make it from the writers.

I guess so, although Bob Brown was also inducted. But isn't there a maximum amount of players that can be inducted, like six or so? He should definitely have gone in ahead of Lynn Swann though.

Brown was in the veterans committe. Which is why I didn't include him. There's a minimum of 4, and a maximum of 7.

The reasoning bothers me has well. Monk was only a possession receiver. So what? He's Top 5 in catches, and Top 10 in yards. The baseball HOF didn't keep out Willie Keeler because he was a singles hitter.

he and "Bullet" Bob Hayes

Diito with George Young and Harry Carson

Carson got so pissed he apparantly asked to be removed from further consideration.

Hearing alot of NY sports radio hosts saying that Carson is knocked because he played on the same teams with Lawrence Taylor and that the logic there is faulty because Carson was a multiple time Pro Bowler before LT was drafted

My favorite players of all time are now in the Hall. Congrats to two of the best players to play the game, John Elway and Barry Sanders.

I think Jim Marshall and Art Monk are getting shafted though. Both are deserving of the Hall, maybe they'll make it in in future seasons.

My favorite players of all time are now in the Hall. Congrats to two of the best players to play the game, John Elway and Barry Sanders.

I think Jim Marshall and Art Monk are getting shafted though. Both are deserving of the Hall, maybe they'll make it in in future seasons.

Most unbiased people up here who saw Marshall play, say he isn't deserving to be in the HOF. He had the streak, and that was really it.