TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

The official off season NFL thread

I think Bailey wants to play with his brother in Detroit from what I've heard.

And Millen expressed intrest up until the Redskins said:

"Sure, we'll trade Champ Bailey, but we want your 1rst and 2nd round draft picks this year."

HAHA. Bailey is a good CB but no team is gonna trade their 1rst and 2nd round draft picks for him, especially the Lions who have a high pick.

Guest TUS_02

Everyone is saying Oakland is going to pick Fitzgerald... I don't like the idea of picking a receiver in the first round... especially a top 3 pick. See Johnson, Keyshawn... As a Raider fan... ESPECIALLY with the loss of Garner, a QB or a RB is what's nessisary. You have Rice and Brown who aren't fast anymore, but they can play the position well and Jerry Porter, who is damned good. My trust in Gannon is thin and Wheatley can't run 30 carries a game. Manning or Rothesberger would be AWESOME for Oakland, then hopefully be able to snag whatever good backs are left round 2. Then go on for the missing linesman 3-7.

It has too be a tough choice for Oakland. On one hand there are so many good WRs in this draft that they will be able to get a top quality guy with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round. On the other hand, Fitzgerald looks like one of those guys that 10 years from now you are still killing yourself about passing on him.

I would probably pass on him, get a QB and then get a WR in the second round.

As for Bailey, if the Eagles get an offer Bailey for a 1st and 2nd rounder and they don't take it I want Reid fired.

Guest MikeSC
Mark Brunell and the Redskins have agreed on a deal, get ready for this:

7 years, $43.3 million.

WAY too much friggin' money for a guy who hasn't done squat in a few years.

-=Mike

"Steinberg did not say Brunell received any guarantees from Gibbs about the starting job."

BWAHAHAHA, that's a good one. Here Mark, take this 43 million dollars, but you might not start.

Makes me happy though, waste a whole lot of money on a spot where they already had a quality player.

I wonder if the three losers are now going to get into a bidding war over Jeff Garcia.

Man, just when everything is starting to look up for the Redskins, they go and make a pointless trade. This basically sends the Redskins BACK several years. Ramsey isn't going to want to stay in Washington and he'll be gone whenever his deal is up. And its not like Brunell can be the QB for the next 5+ years (I don't think). They could have waited until March 3rd, the Jaguars would have cut him and the Redskins could have avoided wasting a 3rd round draft pick.

Guest FrigidSoul

"Sure, we'll trade Champ Bailey, but we want your 1rst and 2nd round draft picks this year."

HAHA. Bailey is a good CB but no team is gonna trade their 1rst and 2nd round draft picks for him, especially the Lions who have a high pick.

The Pats could do it and still have a 1 and 2nd round pick to work with.

It wouldn't work salary cap wise but imagine being a QB and having to decide "Do I throw to Ty Law's side or Champ Bailey's?"

The Pats could do it and still have a 1 and 2nd round pick to work with.

It wouldn't work salary cap wise but imagine being a QB and having to decide "Do I throw to Ty Law's side or Champ Bailey's?"

I heard a small rumor that the Ravens were interested in Bailey but they don't have a first round pick, but they do have plenty of cap room. They need to spend money on OFFENSE first.

Guest FrigidSoul

Well apparently TO from what I've heard is willing to play for The Ravens, Dolphins, Eagles, and Falcons. So you could get your offense right there.

I don't think the Ravens will get TO. I think it was CNNSI.com that had an article about the Ravens offseason plans and they stated they weren't jumping in feet first and offering stupid money to anyone. I think someone will offer stupid money to Owens and the Ravens will be out as a result.

And Philly can be crossed off that list now. That isn't happening.

A sad day for college football...Mike Williams is entering the NFL Draft. Flood gates are now open.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Barring an unanticipated change of heart, Southern California wide receiver Mike Williams will become the first underclass prospect to enter the draft since the NFL was forced by the Maurice Clarett case to alter its eligibility rules.

Several sources here for the league's annual predraft combine workouts told ESPN.com that Williams, who would be regarded as one of the top receiver prospects, has decided to forego his remaining two seasons of college eligibility. He has not, however, filed the required paperwork yet with the NFL and will meet this weekend with his parents to discuss his decision.

In two college seasons, Williams has 176 catches for 2,570 yards and 30 touchdowns.

Williams, 20, is actually 2½ months younger than Clarett, who challenged the league's eligibility rules and was admitted to the draft when a U.S. District Court judge in New York ruled the NFL guidelines in violation of anti-trust laws.

The NFL is appealing that decision but, because of the ruling, the league re-opened its draft deadline and players now have until March 1 to petition for early entry into the 2004 lottery April 24-25.

Because he is not yet three years removed from his high school class graduation date, Williams would not have been eligible under the NFL's former rules. Williams said after the Clarett ruling that he had no intention of leaving the Trojans, the defending co-national champions. But several general managers and personnel directors surveyed here Friday said they were not surprised by the news that Williams would be a part of the '04 draft pool.

Since he is not yet included in the draft, team officials and coaches cannot discuss Williams and his NFL potential. On Thursday, league officials told ESPN.com that no college or high school players had yet applied for inclusion in the draft under the new guidelines.

Some team officials acknowledged they have been contacted by USC coach Pete Carroll, attempting to have them phone Williams and offer their assessments of where he might fit into this year's draft.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

What's really funny is the judges ruling was incorrect. Since it was part of a collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the Players Union, the rule did NOT violate the anti-trust laws.

The ruling will be overturned so these gates will be closed soon. But Mike Williams is just a shock and a hard shot to USC. They did a good job recruiting but they just lost their prime time receiver a year ahead of schedule because some lazy good for nothing in Ohio is getting his way.

I think Williams will be a top 20 pick easily but it's still a damn shame since another year of college would have gave him a chance to improve even more and possible been a #1 or #2 next season.

As for Patrick Ramsey....I think he'll be traded sooner rather than later. And the size of this Burnell deal just screams OVERSPEND, which isn't too shocking considering it's the Redskins.

I am thrilled the Williams is in, as it just means it is more likely a top notch WR makes it to the Eagles. Hell, there are probably at least four WRs in this draft who would be the top WR in most other drafts (Fitz, and the 3 Williams').

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

That Brunell deal doesn't make a lick of sense. Why not save that money and retain Champ? Bailey is top 3 in the league at his respective position. It would be ridiculous to leave Fred Smoot as one's best CB.

With everyone leaving the Raiders, it looks like they'll have enough cash to keep Woodson, which is essential. When healthy and motivated, he's probably the best CB in the league...or at least the second best.

Guess it isn't really the offseason until the Skins fuck themselves over. Trust Dan Snyder to pick up the "guy everyone is talking about" and overpay for him.

With everyone leaving the Raiders, it looks like they'll have enough cash to keep Woodson, which is essential. When healthy and motivated, he's probably the best CB in the league...or at least the second best.

All he needs for motivation is Bill Callahan's head glued on the tackling dummies.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

I think Brunell was signed at the request of Joe Gibbs.

Guest MikeSC
A sad day for college football...Mike Williams is entering the NFL Draft. Flood gates are now open.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way.

It's terrible for the NFL AND College football.

God knows basketball has been decimated by players leaving way too early. The college game is blah thanks to less talented players and the NBA is almost unwatchable.

I still don't get how rules agreed to do by BOTH sides can possibly violate anti-trust law.

-=Mike