TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nevermortal

Shaped Discs

This has always perplexed me...

I remember seeing Dimmu Borgir's "Godless Savage Garden" in some store one time as a "shaped disc". It was this weird triangular disc. Then, I saw, bundled with National Lampoon's Animal House, a soundtrack in some long jagged disc.

Question....is there any actual way to play these CDs, or are they mainly for collecting and gazing upon them like some religious artifect?

Guest El Satanico

If it could fit into a CD tray, perhaps it could play. I don't really know how the shape of a disc affects the playback.

The triangle one could've kept all the music information in the circular inside part.

Whatever you do, DON'T put it into a slot loading CD player. You'll seriously mess it up.

According to my friend, there is supposed to be a super-rare In Flames shaped CD.

That In Flames CD can't be that rare....my local HMV always has it in, but I sure as hell ain't dropping the cash for it.

Anyway, as far as I know, shaped discs are designed to play. There's probably less music on them then a normal CD, which would allow them to put it all in a smaller area, leaving the rest of the CD to be shaped as necessary.

They make (well, made, at least) shaped records too. Some of the Iron Maiden ones are nuts.

I knwo that in the N64 days, that Nintendo released shaped CDs, on shaped like Yoshi's face stands out in my mind. They're meant to be played in an old fashioned top loader, like on most CD boomboxes these days.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

You have to play them on the kind of cd player where you stick it on the spinny-deal, the slot loader will eat them, as mentioned.

That In Flames CD can't be that rare....my local HMV always has it in, but I sure as hell ain't dropping the cash for it.

Anyway, as far as I know, shaped discs are designed to play. There's probably less music on them then a normal CD, which would allow them to put it all in a smaller area, leaving the rest of the CD to be shaped as necessary.

Hmmm... I guess your HMV is just lucky enough to carry it

There are less songs on a shaped CD because there is less readable area on it.