TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

First image from Mortal Kombat Deception!

If Monks is done like Deception with just a better Konquest mode, I'd be fine with it. I really don't want another Mythologies or Speical Forces game. Regardless of who is working on it, I just rather have another game like concept of Deception just more advanced.

Midway Shifts Into Overdrive: New MK Per Year

Coupled with the "official" announcement of Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks, Midway is capitalizing on the lucrative sucess of the Mortal Kombat franchise and is stepping up the frequency of producing Mortal Kombat games to one per year. Assuming that since Shaolin Monks is slated for a 2005 release, we should expect a new fighter-genre Mortal Kombat title in 2006. The speculation currently is that a new adventure-based and figher-based Mortal Kombat title will alternate every other year.

Will this new influx of Mortal Kombat games mean an oversaturation of games? Will this new schedule stretch the series' mystique and reputation thin and wear down even the most devoted MK fan and their wallets? Or is this truly a fulfilment of an outcry of fans asking for more Mortal Kombat games?

Credit: TMRK.org

I've been an MK fan since '95, and this is great news to me.

Sidewalk all around Onaga. Everything he does is extremely slow and easy to sidestep. Abuse a short, easy to do chain with a strike at the end that staggers. Every character has at least one.

Ugh, I just noticed this. So another Moloch, basically?

And I'm still quite interested in your likes/dislikes of this one, Anya.

UYI

Yes, he is very much like Moloch.

And I like the game a lot, but it's basically MKDA version 2. The roster is great, the story is good, and the new features are all welcome. But I don't think the core gameplay is as good as the old games.

Guest Beingz0wningj00

The points that Anya made are very well agreed upon. While it is far more advanced then MKDA... the internal cores prevent it from being a game to truly master, but instead rip into your friends with somne good old fashioned kombat.

The new Konquest is heavily liked by me. Although I wish it didn't take so long to unlock half my favorite characters, it was something to keep me occupied.

As for Onaga... Yeah, the guy can be annoyingly difficult. Fortunately his achilles heels do indeed get the better of him

Guest Beingz0wningj00

No kidding?

What do you play it on? Like what difficulty?

I only beat him with Shujinko and Scorpion so far, but I've only really fought him a total of Five times so far. Each time I play, I occupy myself with the Konquest, which I still haven't finished, well have, but there's still more characters to unlock.

My buddies do get a kick out of Chess Kombat though.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293429/

Well, there's a director for the new MK movie. Ironically, the director is the same guy who directed Highlander 1 and 2. Hmph, maybe Lambert will be back too.

So yes, he directed Highlander 2, but while I'm not familiar with the guy's overall body of work, I doubt he's worse than WS Anderson.

Supposedly the movie is based on MK4, which makes sense because in MK: A Shinnok made brief appearances and that movie basically covered MK3. However, Shinnok is also the worst MK boss ever and MK4 is probably the least popular game in the entire series (save the spinoffs).

At least if the rumor is true we should see Goro return, although I wouldn't mind if they brought in Kintaro instead.

I really wouldn't go by what IMDB says. Talk about the movie has been like non-existant from credible sources.

MKA had a deleted scene that set up MK4, but it's been so long since MK4 I would guess they would just base it on MKDA.

I really wouldn't go by what IMDB says. Talk about the movie has been like non-existant from credible sources.

MKA had a deleted scene that set up MK4, but it's been so long since MK4 I would guess they would just base it on MKDA.

Considering the production date, I'd figure they'd be fairly certain about that tidbit.

I agree to capture more interest they should go with DA's story, since nobody gives a damn about MK4.

I just went over to IMDB. John Tobias and Ed Boon as writers? Uh...ok.

As far as anyone knows the movie doesn't have a script, in fact I don't recall them ever even finding a writer to accept the project. They had one, but he bailed. They've also said the MK: Domination name is not real.

I care about MK4. I like it's story and Shinnok is better than Onaga.

I just went over to IMDB. John Tobias and Ed Boon as writers? Uh...ok.

Then it says, in parenthesis, "video games." :P

They do have writers listed for the project, but you didn't click the full writing credits link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293429/fullcredits#writers

I don't know if that was updated, or if they never bothered to take those names down, though.

Naturally, it all can be considered rumors for the time being, but at least it seems they may actually start working on it, although ideally it would have made sense for them to actually have it completed and released soon after Deception came out.

IGN.com has some more information on Shaolin Monks:

October 26, 2004 - Midway Games today officially announced Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks. The new title, slated for a Fall 2005 release on the PlayStation 2 and Xbox, is not just the next Kombat title, but an expansion into "action/adventure" territory for the franchise. Specific gameplay details are scarce right now, however, so it remains to be seen how that will play out.

Shaolin Monks will feature a full solo storyline and cooperative multiplayer mode. Plenty of classic Kombat characters will appear, along with new fatalities, action-based puzzles, and new revelations of the Mortal Kombat mythos.

"Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is an Action/Adventure title that will help to expand the already wildly popular Mortal Kombat universe well beyond the fighting genre," said Midway President and CEO David F. Zucker. "Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is also our first step toward delivering something that Mortal Kombat fans have been calling for: a new game set in the Mortal Kombat universe every year. We are planning our Mortal Kombat release schedule with the expectation that we will deliver a new Mortal Kombat title annually."

We've got a few first screens to tease and tempt you, but we'll also be back with even more Shaolin Monks details as they come in. Stay tuned.

There are two new screenshots as well, which look really cool. however I am unable to post them here. They include one of Raiden, Liu Kang & Kung Lao and another involving Subbers & Liu Kang having some projectile fun.

So the topic of Power tiers came up today. If you don't know what they are, it's when you rank the characters power in the story from most powerful to weakest.

I am thinking about it now and here's what I've come up with so far....

Tier 1: Liu Kang, Raiden, Shao Kahn, Shinnok

Tier 2: Onaga, Quan Chi, Shang Tsung

Tier 3: Goro, Kintaro, Motaro, Bo' Rai Cho, Ermac, Fujin, Moloch, Noob Saibot, Scorpion, Shujinko, Sub-Zero

Tier 4: Ashrah, Baraka, Blaze, Cyrax, Drahmin, Havik, Hotaru, Jax, Cage, Kabal, Kano, Kitana, Mavado, Kung Lao, Reiko, Reptile, Sektor, Sindel, Sheeva, Smoke, Sonya, Li Mei, Kenshi, Mileena

Tier 5: Hsu Hao, Jarek, Stryker, Tanya, Dairou, Darrius, Jade, Kai, Khameleon, Nightwolf, Nitara, Rain, Sareena

Tier 6: Kobra, Kira, Frost, Mokap

Edit: moved Li Mei, Kenshi and Mileena up one tier.

Li Mei won a tournament hosted by the DA, they don't mean she was the winner of MKDA or that she beat people like Sub-Zero or Jax. The tournament Li Mei won is a side-story, as far as we know nobody else in MKDA was involved. It was among the people of her village.

Although come to think of it, she did beat Kano before MKDA....so I'd move her up a tier.

I might be underrating Kenshi too.