TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

First image from Mortal Kombat Deception!

He's not that bad. Every fighting series has their cheap comedy act for some light entertainment for the easily amused, Bo Rai Cho is that for MK. However, for someone who has trained the likes of Liu Kang and Kung Lao, you'd think he'd be portrayed as an unstoppable martial arts machine.

I guess they were going for the 'eccentric mentor' angle. I'd of preferred them to take the Pei Mai(sp) from Kill Bill route though.

UYI

I only need one more key--JO. Every FAQ says "F1, Edenia" and some say "on Tuesday, 4 PM."

However, it's not showing up for me. That location is either outside the wall or inside the walls of the palace, but nothing is showing up for me. They wrong, or what?

UYI: Oh, and Kung Lao does make a cameo--he's unfortunately just a training dummy. You perform a 10 hit combo on him without him actually fighting you, then you've got to go find Kai in Outworld. That's it. Too bad.

What is JO? Shujinko's alt outfit? If so, it's in a building and it's only at a certain time.

Yeah, you can fight Kung Lao. You can fight many people that were in DA. I know at least him, Jax, Sonya, Quan Chi and Shang Tsung are fightable. There's codebreaker codes to use them, but I don't really see the point since they weren't made to be playable and don't have moves and stuff.

Storyline wise, he appears in Ermac's ending.

UYI: Oh, and Kung Lao does make a cameo--he's unfortunately just a training dummy. You perform a 10 hit combo on him without him actually fighting you, then you've got to go find Kai in Outworld. That's it. Too bad.

Bummer. Better than nothing though.

I recently read that, as a result of the Deadly Alliance succeeding, Sonya, Jax, Kung Lao and Cage (and which ever Earth realm kombatant I'm forgetting) were killed at the hands of Quan Chi & Shang. I also read that they also handed Raiden his electric ass.

If that is canon, then I'm happy - time to kill off some of the mainstays like Sonya & Jax, at least for a while.

UYI

Those 4 and Kitana are dead thanks to the DA, but theyre back alive in MKD. Onaga revives them and enslaves their souls.

Guest Beingz0wningj00

"I also read that they also handed Raiden his electric ass."

I wouldn't say that if you watch the beginning of Deception, you'll see what I mean. But yeah, they do emerge victorious, but Raiden puts up quite a fight.

Even through Raiden is gone...he is somewhat gone, his Alter Ego is playable.

Those 4 and Kitana are dead thanks to the DA, but theyre back alive in MKD. Onaga revives them and enslaves their souls.

Ah, it all makes sense now. I was trying to comprehend how Mileena could be in Deception and not have Kitana there to mess around with, as Kitana has really been the only character Mileena has had any real purpose to kill or track down.

Whoever writes the main storyline for this game is brilliant.

UYI

Anya: do you "fight" Kung Lao anywhere? I've only found the "do a 10 hit combo" thing.

Thanks for the tip--now I got all the koffins unlocked except for a few gold koin koffins of useless krap.

Oh, and *just* discovered that there were two deathtraps in the Golden Desert. Niiice.

The main storyline is written by a guy named John Vogel, who's been with the MK team since the beginning and took over writing when Tobias left after MK4. I like him a lot, I think he's much better and less vague than Tobias.

I am not sure if you can actually fight Kung Lao. I never bothered to get the headband.

There's 3 deathtraps in the lower mines level.

The main storyline is written by a guy named John Vogel, who's been with the MK team since the beginning and took over writing when Tobias left after MK4. I like him a lot, I think he's much better and less vague than Tobias.

Heh, gotta love the blatantly revisionist "Outworld and Edenia *were* separate realms, but they were un-merged again" stuff. Konquest is full of plotholes and stuff that makes no sense, but they did a decent job overall. Nobody ever ages in any realm ever except Shujinko. :P

I am not sure if you can actually fight Kung Lao. I never bothered to get the headband.

I thought you needed that to get into the White Lotus village to train with Lui Kang? Then again, I guess it lets you in after Konquest regardless.

So far I've seen nothing about actually fighting Kung Lao, just comboing him.

There's 3 deathtraps in the lower mines level.

Thanks, heheh.

That Game Informer rag has a big feature on Shaolin Monks, which is supposed to take place between MKI and MK3 somewhere, and is going to be a beat'em up game, MK style. I'm skeptical about it, though.

Outworld and Edenia have been seperate since MK3, I didn't see any inconsistences with that.

There's a bunch of problems with Konquest though. Like why is Jarek wandering around in Neatherealm before MK1? You could go on all day about things like that. I think a lot of Konquest has to be taken as non-canon.

You can just go into the temple after beating Konquest.

I think Shaolin Monks will be good. The idea brings back memories of MKM and MKSF, but keep in mind none of those side projects were actually made by Ed Boon and the others in the MK team. If there's one thing they're great at it's presentation, atsmophere. That's a big part of a beat em up. It's not like they have deep, complicated gameplay.

I think Shaolin Monks will be good. The idea brings back memories of MKM and MKSF, but keep in mind none of those side projects were actually made by Ed Boon and the others in the MK team. If there's one thing they're great at it's presentation, atsmophere. That's a big part of a beat em up. It's not like they have deep, complicated gameplay.

Actually, the article says that platforming elements will play a huge part in the game, and there were development sketches shown about an area with puzzle-platformer elements to it.

The graphics look pretty basic though.

Yeah, I just picked up the mag today while I got Crisis Zone.

ARGH! You paid money for Game Informer? Shame on, Anya. If you had a subscription with the discount card I could understand...

You play online?

Uh huh.

So, if it's about monks I guess we can expect appearances from Liu Kang and Kung Lao.

Liu Kang is Player 1 and Kung Lao is Player 2. :P

Yeah, that's a pretty crappy, uninformative article, but the best I could find online right away.

Oh God, this won't be a Mytholigies or Special Forces type of game, will it?

On topic, I love how some fatalities have the opponent saying "No! No!" as they're about to die. Also, what is up with Darrius' fatality? It looks like he slaps you around and then your body gets all mixed up. Maybe I'm just not watching closely enough.

I came across a few MK: Shaolin Monks screens. However, they are quite big in size and it probably isn't a great idea to try and fit them in this thread.

So simply check out these links, some of the shots looks really cool considering how early in development the game is:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/...2_screen005.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/...2_screen006.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/...2_screen007.jpg

Oh God, this won't be a Mytholigies or Special Forces type of game, will it?

The idea is to do something in that vein, but do it right.

So they're going to actually try this time?