TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

First image from Mortal Kombat Deception!

Baraka!

Baraka is back! What a great choice for a returning character and for the first character to be show. We haven't seen him in an original game since MK II and he's always been popular.

Also, the next issue of PSM is going to have a huge story on the game. They've played it and will be the first to go into detail about it.

Guest EQ

Baraka! PHAT!

I hope this game has a new engine. Dark Alliance was cool, but didn't really like it that much.

Yeah, in his MK Gold ending(which you can unlock to watch in the Krypt in DA).

But that doesn't mean the ending is true. Not every ending really happens in the MK story. In the same game Shinnok kills Reptile but Rep was back. Besides in the ending Quan Chi says Raiden and the others are dead before he kills Baraka and obviously Raiden isn't dead.

It's possible Chi still killed him and he found a way to come back to life. Many characters have died and returned, like Kano and Johnny Cage.

I'm guessing the MKG ending is just not canon at all though.

Yeah--often times fighting games will have a bunch of different endings, but only one will actually happen.

I don't think Mileena and Baraka ever got together in canon. :P

That being said--it isn't necessary Baraka. It could be just another mutant from that same race, unless it was specifically mentioned to be Baraka. That pic is called baraka.jpg, but hey--it's so early...

It is confirmed to be Baraka.

Baraka and Mileena never got together, but they probably really do like each other since it's been in two endings from two different games.

DA's endings were written so that almost all of them tie together to form one big story. Like Cyrax, Reptile and Nitara's are all the same story but with their perspectives. Besides Kenshi and a few evil characters most of the endings will probably end up being true for DA.

It is confirmed to be Baraka.

Baraka and Mileena never got together, but they probably really do like each other since it's been in two endings from two different games.

DA's endings were written so that almost all of them tie together to form one big story. Like Cyrax, Reptile and Nitara's are all the same story but with their perspectives. Besides Kenshi and a few evil characters most of the endings will probably end up being true for DA.

Okay, that makes sense, and is the kind of thing that should happen if at all possible. Doesn't explain things like, you know, Kitana never knowing the whole time that her "sister" was a hideous freakin' mutant or anything, but eh, at least they're trying.

Anything known on the status of weapons? I haven't played Deadly Alliance at all...so...*shrug*

Kitana has known Mileena was a clone since before MK II.

Weapons were in DA, but who knows with this. Like nothing is known. All we know is it's probably called Deception, they want it to be online and this Baraka image.

So there's no real info on gameplay yet? That's all that really matters to me at this point. MK:DA was conceptually cool as hell, but it sucked horribly to play. Hopefully this will at least be up to like DOA level. I'm not expecting a masterpiece, but a solid engine that's not bogged down by stupid gimmicks would be nice.

Edit: Online? Neat. If that's actually there and actually works w/o lag, I might even buy this.

No confirmed gameplay details, but it's heavily speculated it's going to use the DA engine.

I think they should give up trying to be like other fighting games. They insisted their goal with DA was to be deep like Tekken or VF and they failed horribly in that regard. It's obvious they don't get how to design a serious fighter. I wish they'd stop halfassing it and instead focus on making it fast, smooth, flashy, simple but still really fun.

Gimmicks could be cool. Nobody plays MK for serious competition, it's all about flash and presentation. So why not go for a Power Stone approach and go crazy with it? You could have Kung Lao running up walls, Sub-Zero dodging Scorpion's spear with Matrix style slow mo, there's tons of possibilities. They could do all kinds of stuff you'd never see in a serious fighter.

Yeah I guess, as long as the main engine is fluid. It doesn't have to be deep, it just has to be fast and fun. When I talk about hating gimmicks, I'm mainly referring to the stupid press a button to change fighting styles nonsense. It killed the flow and made the game feel jerky and disjointed, I really didn't like it. My ideal MK would be one with the speed and fun of MK3 but in a 3D world, but I have my doubts that they'd be able to pull that off. At least they should give people their signature moves back and make the game feel like an MK. A lot of people praised MK:DA for getting away from that, but imo it just felt like a really bad "serious" fighter that was worse than TK2/VF2, and it didn't have any of the MK soul.

At MK Online they had a Midway employee asking people for advice and said they understood the complaints people had(like the awful counters in DA, the lack of a real 3D game, ect) and said they would try to fix them all for this. I don't really believe they can pull it off though.

What I really like about MK3's gameplay is the pace and the combo system. It's a simple game without much depth, but it's very fast and the juggling is really fun.

So uh, what of Lui (?) Kang? I rented DA and saw that the fuckers killed off their lead character in the OPENING SEQUENCE of all places.

He's always been my favourite, besides Subbers, so is there some resurrection story or anything that is going to bring him back, Sakura?

Certainly hope so.

UYI

So uh, what of Lui (?) Kang? I rented DA and saw that the fuckers killed off their lead character in the OPENING SEQUENCE of all places.

He's always been my favourite, besides Subbers, so is there some resurrection story or anything that is going to bring him back, Sakura?

Certainly hope so.

UYI

They can do what Tekken did, and have his son take over or something. I was going to ask about Kang, but I somehow KNEW that something like that happened in DA.

What is an MK without Lui Kang's hilarious death screams?

In Quan Chi's DA ending Liu's soul enters Kano's body, but it's very unlikely that will end up actually happening. John Vogel(the guy that writes the story) says it's probably not going to be used for the next game.

They could bring Liu back anytime though. Liu's soul probably went to the Heavens after DA so Raiden could bring him back to life(he did it for Cage) or something new could happen to bring him back. Who knows. If they want him back they'll find a way to write him back in. Death has never stopped anyone from being in a game.

They've already admitted they'll probably use Kahn again, so I'd be surprised if Liu is really gone for good.

Fun Fact: Ed Boon is the voice of Liu Kang's goofy screams and yells. He is also Scorpion's "Get over here" and "Come Here!".

It's like Capcom killing Ryu, even if it happend, you just know it wouldn't last long.

Is the other MK dude going to be involved in this one?...last name was Tobias I believe. I'm pretty sure he's the genius behind babalities and friendships.

Pussy.

UYI

John Tobias. He doesn't work for Midway anymore. After MK3 he did a little work on MK4 then did MK Mythologies and some of Special Forces before leaving to form his own studio with a few other MK team members. He had nothing to do with DA and won't have anything to do with this one.

I guess he could always get rehired or something, but for now it seems like he's done with the series.

A lot of original MK developers are still around though. Ed Boon is the other co-creator and he's still in charge. Dan Forden, Carlos Pesina, John Vogel, Tony Goskie, Steve Beran and others have been around forever(some of them as far back as MK1) and will be doing this one.

Guest HHH123007
I hope they never bring back Moloch. The worst sub-boss ever.

I agree....If he doesn't return then I will dance, shit, and vomit on his grave.

Motaro locked Kano up in Kahn's evil lair to punish him for losing to Sonya. Sheeva came up and attacked Motaro, fought and killed him. She unlocked Kano and together they conspired to go into Kahn's throne room and kill him. Kano would go in first and create a distraction then Sheeva would use that oppertunity to assassinate Kahn. However Kano screwed Sheeva. He went into the throne room and instead of distracting Kahn he tipped him off to her. When Sheeva came in Kahn stabbed her in the back with a sword.

This all happened near the end of MK3, during Kahn's invasion of Earth, but wasn't actually revealed until MKDA.

Guest EQ

Yeah, ok. I thought Moloch was from DA. I agree. Fuck that cheesy piece of crap.

Fighting him almost made me break a controller. I haven't gotten that pissed at a game in a long time. I just returned it (I'd rented it)

*hyped*

I rented Deadly Alliance the other day. Never played it before. It's actually pretty cool. I like that each character has three fighting styles. My only gripe was that they left out Smoke. He was always my favourite of the ninjas. :P