TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

First image from Mortal Kombat Deception!

Favorites by game...

MK:

Sub-Zero

MK II:

Sub-Zero

Baraka

MK3/UMK3/MKT:

Sub-Zero(both, but especially unmasked)

Cyrax

Sektor

Smoke(Robot)

Stryker

Kabal

MK4/MKG:

Reiko

Jarek

Cyrax

Sektor

Kung Lao

MKDA/MKTE:

Cyrax

Frost

Kung Lao

Scorpion

Sektor

Favorite fatalities = Sektor's Compactor in 3 and Kung Lao's verticle slice in II

Favorite stages = Warrior Shrine in 1, Kahn's Arena in II, most of the stages in 3

Favorite Pit = Shao Kahn Tower(Belltower) in 3, The Prison(fan) in 4

WORST fatalities = Jax's stomp in 3, Rain's uppercut in MKT, Quan Chi's neck stretch in DA

Guest Coffey

Hmm, I guess my favorite fatalities would be Sub-Zero's from the original and Shang Tsung's Kintaro morph in the sequel.

My favorite stage from all the games is the Pit 2.

Favorite Fatalities:

- Baraka's Slice 'n' Slide from MKII

- Kung Lao's Vertical Slice from MKII and 3

- Reptile's Acid Hurl from 3 and 4

- Sektor's Trash Kompactor from 3

Worst Fatalities:

- Tanya's Triple Neckbreaker from 4

- Kabal's Scary Face(OF DEATH~!) from 3

- Bo Rai Cho's Belly Flop from DA

- Jax's Jolly Black Giant from 3(worst Fatality EVER, IMO)

Also, Sub-Zero's Spine Rip >>> Scorpion's Toasty.

*looks over thread*

Damn looks like I'm practically the only Johnny Cage mark. His cheap hits (close quarters shadow kick and of course the NUT PUNCH OF DOOM~!) combined with what I though was a perfectly acceptable finisher with the torso rip made him a fun character. Plus the egotistical Friendship of course.

*looks over thread*

Damn looks like I'm practically the only Johnny Cage mark. His cheap hits (close quarters shadow kick and of course the NUT PUNCH OF DOOM~!) combined with what I though was a perfectly acceptable finisher with the torso rip made him a fun character. Plus the egotistical Friendship of course.

Johnny Cage is the man. Him and Scorpion are my favorite MK characters.

I think MK3 had some creative fatalities, but the gore in MKII was the best. It was done lazily in MK3 (Sheeva would get skeletonized but have 2 arms, hands would be dangling in the air from the wrist down attached to nothing, humans would have a cherry center instead of guts or anything).

I think they're horrible. They're like impossibe!

I love Ultras though.

I had a friend in high school who could do the brutalities by hand. Un-freakin'-believable.

Guest Coffey

I did Brutalities all the time at the arcade. Once you knew them, and the exact area to slow down at, they were no harder than pulling off a normal combo.

Johnny Cage's "nut punch" is awful. First off, you can't use it on Mileena or Kitana. Secondly, if it gets blocked (which is always does) then you're stuck in delay for a good three seconds. Enough of a time gap to give you opponent the ability to do a turn-around kick combo for sure.

Assuming we're talking about MK2 anyway.

"I did Brutalities all the time at the arcade. Once you knew them, and the exact area to slow down at, they were no harder than pulling off a normal combo."

MK Trilogy came out in the arcade? ;)

"Johnny Cage's "nut punch" is awful. First off, you can't use it on Mileena or Kitana."

Or Shao Kahn, and I don't think it works on Kintaro, too, but I could be wrong.

"Assuming we're talking about MK2 anyway."

I think it was the same thing basically in MK1. In MKT he didn't have it.

Guest Coffey

It did here. At Galaxy Arcade in it's closing days. I distinctly remember playing as Rain and learning his Brutality by walking to Babbage's down the hall of the mall to look at the strategy guide.

Perhaps it was a home built cabinet, but it definitely looked professional.

No. Only a home release. N64, PSX, Saturn, PC, Game.com.

You can do Brutalities in the 16 bit versions of UMK3.

Besides UMK3's intro Rain is not in any arcade version of MK. Noob is playable in UMK3, but only in the Wavenet UMK3 and he has no finishing moves.

What was the story with Rain? I remember seeing the character in an intro movie to an arcade game but never in the actual game.

Also, weren't there two Khameleons?

That's pretty much it. I think he has a backstory thrown in on MK Trilogy, but basically he was just an extra palette-swap thrown into Trilogy to boast a larger roster. He's a cheap bastard.

Well, there's Chameleon and Khameleon. One is a female ninja that cycles through all the colors (and so, the moves of) all the female ninjas in the game. The other is a male ninja that cycles through the colors (and the moves of) the male ninjas.

To the best of my memory, I think the male, Chameleon, is on the Saturn and Playstation versions, and the female, Khameleon, is on the N64 version.

I think that's right--but basically, yeah, I've fought or played as both versions.

Rain is in the intro to the arcade UMK3 but it's just a joke. Ed Boon is a fan of Prince. Rain is purple...

The attract mode of that game has a few other oddities as well. Like sometimes if you let it sit it will show the match up graphic for Human Smoke vs. Noob Saibot, something that is impossible to see in the actual game.

He is fully playable in the 16 bit UMK3s, MK Advance for GBA and MKT. His backstory is that he is one of Kahn's minions but turns on him when he learns his father used to work for Kitana and Sindel back in the day.

Andrew's description of the C/Khameleons is correct, except Khameleon(the female one) does not cycle through the colors. She is grey. You tell who's moves you have by the color of her name in her lifebar.

Khamelon is presented as a fully developed character. She has an opening bio, a space on the selection screen, an ending and is even mentioned in MKDA.

Chamaleon is really halfassed. He has like no story at all and is just kinda there.

Guest JMA

I really wish they'd go back to the ORIGINAL MK story; a fight to the death style tournament on a mysterious island. They could even add in characters who weren't in the original story (like Baraka and Kitana). There's no need for complex continuity and retcons. Anyway, here are some things I'd like to see (keep in mind I never bothered to play DA):

Fatalities during fights - I always thought this would be cool. Killing an opponent mid-match would own. It would also be realistic.

Longer Fights - A lot of the fights in the MK series end too quickly. One thing that could be done to improve this would be a longer time limit.

Attacking Specific Body Parts - Instead of health meters, there could be models of the body next to each fighter's name. When one body part is hit the part could turn red. Doing enough damage would weaken their attacks and/or speed. Damaging it even more would break the body part and render it useless.

Stats - Obviously some characters should be stronger and faster than others.

Tourament Style Story Mode - I don't think one character should have to beat every fighter. I believe that putting computer controlled opponents against each other tournament style would be much better.

Realistic blood and bruising - A simple punch or kick shouldn't cause blood to gush forth. I think it would be better to have actual bruises appear on an opponent's body and eventually bleed.

All this dang Mortal Kombat talk has got me so nostalgic that I fired up the old Sega Megadrive this morning and played Mortal Kombat I for the first time in *years*.

I'd forgotten how fucking catchy the opening theme is, not to mention how awesome the game has remained after all these years. I've still got the 'blood code' and Sub Zero's upper-cut decapitation fatality imprinted on my brain too, which is a tad frightening.

UYI

I just thought of an idea for an MK game. Instead of lifebars(i hate them with a passion, yet i love fighting games) you could make the opponents fight until one of them was killed.

So You would have to beat your opponent to the point where you could do your fatality on them but, if you tried it too early in the match, it would be reversed.

I just thought of an idea for an MK game. Instead of lifebars(i hate them with a passion, yet i love fighting games) you could make the opponents fight until one of them was killed.

Bushido Blade--PS1.

I'd forgotten how fucking catchy the opening theme is, not to mention how awesome the game has remained after all these years.

Yeah, it's still fun even after all these years. I've never really stopped playing it. Play at least a bit of the old ones once a month. Sometimes I get into a phase where I play them more than newer games. I usually rotate which versions I play just to make it more interesting.

BTW, here's my picks for the best ports of each game.

MK = Genesis/Sega CD

MK II = SNES

MK 3 = PSX

UMK3 = Saturn

MKT = PSX/Saturn

MK4 = PSX

Guest EQ

I didn't like how on N64, we got bootleg in-game cut scene endings for each character in MK4 and PSX got CG movies. I realize it was a hardware limitation, but I was disappointed cause at the time I only had N64 and couldn't get the other version

Have you seen the CG endings? It's not like N64 is missing much. With the exception of Reiko(who's extra ending has caused controversy that's STILL going on) they're pretty much the same. The CGI is poor quality and the animation is really bad.

I HATE how they just took the in game endings and remade them in CG, so like all the awkward movements and poses from them are still there. Some of them look so ridiculous, like Shinnok flapping his arms when he flies. Also the voice acting is funny. I like it when Quan Chi steps on Sub-Zero's chest and he like howls.

It shows him walk up to this throne, sit down, and then Shao Kahn's helmet comes down and sits on his head.

There has been tons and tons of discussion about what that means over the years. Lots of people are obsessed with it and claim it means Reiko is really Shao Kahn. There's countless theories about it.

The Gameboy Color version of MK4 came out later and has a text ending that really seems to hint that it's Kahn. It doesn't say it's him outright, but there's really no one else it could be.

Ed Boon, John Vogel and other developers have insisted that Reiko isn't Kahn though. Ed himself admitted the helmet thing was just a stupid joke they put in to cause controversy and mystery since his original ending(the arcade version has the crappy N64 endings) was so boring. That hasn't stopped the believers though.

It's one of the most controversial and often brought up things in the MK community.

Wether or not Ermac is in MK1 is the other big topic that always causes controversy.

He walks into a portal.

That's it. That is literally the entire ending. He is standing there. A portal opens. He walks in. The portal closes. It fades to the end. It's like seconds long. Very lame.

Reiko was added to MK4 at the very last minute. Like he is the very definition of a rushed character. He wasn't even in the game until beta testing for the second revision, so the game had already been out nationally before he was added to the roster. Him being such an extremely late edition to the cast is why his story is weak and why he has pretty much no ending.

I believe that was his ending for the 64 version as well.

I felt the endings in N64 version were a tad disappointing. I always liked reading what happend to them in the other versions of MK, it would of been great to actually see it happen in 64-bit glory, rather than just have a few seconds dedicated to each character.

Yeah, N64 had the arcade endings.

I like some of the MK4 endings. Quan Chi's is one of my favorites in the series. Very clever swerve.