TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

*Another* Benoit Question

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

The general understanding is that Benoit moved to RAW as HHH wanted Benoit to be someone that could set an example of the new wrestling style being promoted within the company. Fair enough.

Now storyline wise WWE explained this as Benoit / Austin finding a legal loophole or whatever and Benoit, as winner of the Royal Rumble, could choose which title to get a shot at. He wanted the WWE Title - so fair enough.

However, if he does NOT win at WMXX, surely he must go back to SmackDown! - he is still a SmackDown! wrestler, right? Once he has burnt his title shot, thats should be it.

Unless, of course he wins (is this even likely with the Triple threat?).

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
The general understanding is that Benoit moved to RAW as HHH wanted Benoit to be someone that could set an example of the new wrestling style being promoted within the company. Fair enough.

Now storyline wise WWE explained this as Benoit / Austin finding a legal loophole or whatever and Benoit, as winner of the Royal Rumble, could choose which title to get a shot at. He wanted the WWE Title - so fair enough.

However, if he does NOT win at WMXX, surely he must go back to SmackDown! - he is still a SmackDown! wrestler, right? Once he has burnt his title shot, thats should be it.

Unless, of course he wins (is this even likely with the Triple threat?).

If Heyman doesn't want him anymore, he's on RAW.

Guest Frank Grimes

The way they've been talking on the shows, it appears that the "loophole" Benoit used to fight for the Raw title moved him to Raw full-time.

Speaking of Benoit, I'm shocked we haven't talked more about Benoit Vs HBK for Raw this Monday. I hope it gets a good 30 minutes. It's been a dream match of mine for years.

Speaking of Benoit, I'm shocked we haven't talked more about Benoit Vs HBK for Raw this Monday. I hope it gets a good 30 minutes. It's been a dream match of mine for years.

20-30 minutes with a clean win for Benoit to end the show would be s/marktastic. :D

We'll end up getting 10 minutes of decent match with another 10 minutes of clusterfuck finish and a killed crowd. Again.

Giving away that match on free TV this Monday would seem to cast a shadow of doubt over the possibility that they'll have a Benoit-Michaels match at Backlash, which was a popular theory being thrown around.

I got a weird feelin that HHH will somehow show up at the end of the mathc and do something to ruin it. :gas: to HHH

Kayfabe wise, Triple H will probably cost both men the victory, thus he can have Benoit and HBK kill each other over who gets to go after Triple H's title, while Triple H of course sits there and giggles like a schoolgirl.

Benoit is listed on the RAW Superstars page, so I'm pretty sure he's RAW talent. Plus, we all know he'll be wrestling a Raw PPV in April.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

20-30 minutes with a clean win for Benoit to end the show would be s/marktastic. :D

We'll end up getting 10 minutes of decent match with another 10 minutes of clusterfuck finish and a killed crowd. Again.

It can't be a clean win either way, you dolt. You don't have one guy beat the other guy clean to hype a bigger match. You have to give the fans enough to make them want more, but not make one guy look weaker than the other to build suspense.

And if anyone jobs it should Benoit, since he's getting the title, and it builds to a very logical Backlash feud (I beat you one on one before, and now you're the Champ so I can do it again), AND it makes Benoit look like an underdog, and the underdog pulling it off when it counts is a classic story.

It can't be a clean win either way, you dolt. You don't have one guy beat the other guy clean to hype a bigger match. You have to give the fans enough to make them want more, but not make one guy look weaker than the other to build suspense.

And if anyone jobs it should Benoit, since he's getting the title, and it builds to a very logical Backlash feud (I beat you one on one before, and now you're the Champ so I can do it again), AND it makes Benoit look like an underdog, and the underdog pulling it off when it counts is a classic story.

Also, if it's the Main Event match, then the crowd will most likely ALREADY be dead, as Orton would've already killed them.

Haven't you seen Raw the past few months?

I think it WILL be a damned good match, and have the obligatory Nitro-ish overbooked screwjob finish. It's too obvious.

If Benoit loses to HBK on RAW and pins HHH at WM in a 3 way, then his win will be incredibly devalued as his goal to "be the best" will not have been accomplished at "the grandest stage of them all".

I doubt HHH will let Benoit and HBK go longer than any match he and HBK have gone, or anywhere close to.

As for Benoit on RAW or Smackdown, it depends on which contract they are talking about. If it's a Smackdown contract, he's on RAW for good. If it's the Royal Rumble contract, he's only there until the contract expires (which would be WM). I don't believe they have specified which.

HBK needs to turn heel in order for the feud with Benoit to work.

And I mean a full-blown, pompous ass heel. Not bad-guy-you-love-to-cheer heel.

Guest Coffey

I thought it was supposed to turn into a ladder match sometime between now & Wrestlemania XX. So, perhaps a ladder will be used this coming Monday to foreshadow the forthcoming gimmick match?

Or has that plan/idea been changed/scrapped?

The general understanding is that Benoit moved to RAW as HHH wanted Benoit to be someone that could set an example of the new wrestling style being promoted within the company.  Fair enough.

I thought it was because HHH needed someone to make him look good at WM, while not being able to greatly overshadow him (in HHH's eyes) at the same time. Cena was the other guy rumored to win the RR and jump to Raw to face HHH.

Hmmm, I wonder why they chose Benoit instead?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
If Benoit loses to HBK on RAW and pins HHH at WM in a 3 way, then his win will be incredibly devalued as his goal to "be the best" will not have been accomplished at "the grandest stage of them all".

I doubt HHH will let Benoit and HBK go longer than any match he and HBK have gone, or anywhere close to.

As for Benoit on RAW or Smackdown, it depends on which contract they are talking about. If it's a Smackdown contract, he's on RAW for good. If it's the Royal Rumble contract, he's only there until the contract expires (which would be WM). I don't believe they have specified which.

No.

Guest Brian

If Benoit's winnig at Mania, one could put him over in a shady manner if HBK comes out of Mania as the vengeful heel following a Triple H pin or him costing the match. My feeling is, keep Benoit as strong as possible until he takes the title, and then you can give him a little vulnerability, but not too much. HBK can play it off and be completely pompous about it.

Hopefully they chose Benoit because they realize Cena needs more time. But then again they're coming out with that completely premature DVD release.

No.

Well, I said 3 things there, you have to be more specific.

If "no" for Benoit losing to HBK takes away from his Mania win, I'm right. It puts doubt on his title win. Do we want to have the winner of the main event at the supposedly biggest show of all time not be the true winner? Do we top off Benoits "17 year quest" with a "Yeah, but..."? That's retarded.

If you're saying "no" for HHH not wanting Benoit to upstage him in a match with HBK, are we thinking about the same HHH here?

And the contract thing, well, they haven't specified so, you can't be disagreeing with that.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

No.

Well, I said 3 things there, you have to be more specific.

No.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Ok, so you're just an idiot.  Gotcha.

Isn't this what the mods were designed to stop?

No?

Why should I bother arguing with you, Rudo? You've got your mind made up, already. You're a brickwall, and I'm sick of it. I'm sick of half of this folder psychoanalysing every single damn segment of every show, while simultaniously decrying the product. Who thinks about what this meaningless RAW match will mean to Benoit's ULTIMATE JOURNEY? Get laid, dude.

Why should I bother arguing with you, Rudo?

Why one should argue with me? Well, I tend to actually read what people say before I post, I have a pretty good mind for wrestling, I've seen a variety of different styles, workers, and promotions that compose my "experience" in the field, my writing style -at least I think- is easy to read and accomodating, as long as you respond respectively I tend to do the same, and I like to think that I am fairly open-minded and can see things objectively; though whenever my bias may effect me, I'll let you know where I stand on things. I like to promote intelligent discussion. Why *you* should argue with me? I have no idea.

You've got your mind made up, already. You're a brickwall, and I'm sick of it.

Why would I post if I was undecided? Why bother making statements that I am unsure of? And if my mind is made up already, then what is yours? If I am a brickwall because of it, then what are you? We have two different perspectives, we each think ours is the right one, we come on here to prove which is by sharing our reasoning. I, at least, am willing to discuss and share. You, not so much.

I'm sick of half of this folder psychoanalysing every single damn segment of every show, while simultaniously decrying the product.

I actually like that about this folder. The little things are very important, the details show how much effort is being put in; how believable the story is. Great works of art are great because of the details. It shows dedication. If the fans are willing to put in the time and effort in looking at the details, shouldn't the company be as well? I guess not... Hence, the poor product.

Who thinks about what this meaningless RAW match will mean to Benoit's ULTIMATE JOURNEY?

Well there's your problem, no match is meaningless. At least, no match *should* be meaningless. The Journey is what matters most.

Get laid, dude.

Aw Zsaszy, I didn't know you cared so much. But, we're so far away from each other, I just don't think it would work out.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

I'd just like to point out that you came in here with the asinine opinion that a job by Benoit to HBK on a RAW to build to 'Mania would somehow tarnish Benoit's "ultimate destiny" or whatever the fuck smark wet-dream scenario it is this week ( Despite saying the exact same thing about Benoit moving to Raw in the first place).

No it won't. If anything it'll build to a logical, entertaining feud with HBK at Backlash for the belt, and it'll paint Benoit as an underdog going into the main event. But this is all just to detestable to this dream scenario you've cooked up.

Listen, I don't care. I don't. I'm not going to waste my time talking to a brick wall over PRO WRESTLING, just because he'd be a little peeved if his guy got beat. What a joke.

I'd just like to point out that you came in here with the asinine opinion that a job by Benoit to HBK on a RAW to build to 'Mania would somehow tarnish Benoit's "ultimate destiny" or whatever the fuck smark wet-dream scenario it is this week

Benoit said he moved to RAW to be the best. If Benoit gets beaten by HBK on RAW and then beats HHH at Mania for the title, he technically shouldn't be happy with the win, since HBK got the better of him and that his title win doesn't represent that. Quite legitimate.

( Despite saying the exact same thing about Benoit moving to Raw in the first place).

Oh, I still think that. I just thought bringing that up would open up a can of worms that's not really necessary in this topic. Besides, people would have problems with me if I said THAT, it's a lose/lose situation.

No it won't.

Sure it will. Benoit has worked, supposedly, 17 years to this one goal and it's now questionable since he didn't beat HBK.

If anything it'll build to a logical, entertaining feud with HBK at Backlash for the belt, and it'll paint Benoit as an underdog going into the main event.

Benoit has already been painted as the underdog. Getting punked out by HBK and HHH will do that to you. Logic would dictate that Benoit would not be happy with his title win at Mania. As for entertaining, there are many ways to accomplish that. Having Benoit lose isn't the best way.

But this is all just to detestable to this dream scenario you've cooked up.

Yes, my high expectations are a problem here. DAMN my logic.

Listen, I don't care. I don't. I'm not going to waste my time talking to a brick wall over PRO WRESTLING, just because he'd be a little peeved if his guy got beat. What a joke.

You already have. So what does that make you?

Guest Brian

I'm in total agreement with RRR. Benoit nees to go right after HBK. They need to build up this feud as HBK, the jealous former superstar, vs. Benoit, who is trying to prove himself. They need to get him over as strong as possible. This is definately about the journey; this is about Benoit working hard for seventeen years, sweating his ass off in a basement in Calgary and sleeping without heat as he hardens up his personality; this is about going to Mexico and Japan to prove that he can hang with the best; this is about still wanting to be the best and coming to North America to define himself; this is about being in WCW and getting the short-end, but always perservering; this is about taking pride over the WCW title; about coming into the WWE with a full head of steam, getting shoved down the card, and working his way back up. This is about being one of the greatest of his generations. This is about pain and sacrifice. And this title reign is about proving that Benoit didn't do all these things in vain.

He has to beat Michaels on RAW. He has to pin HHH at Mania. He needs to go over Michaels again, to prove himself.