15 members have voted

1. 1. Best Album by Ryan Adams

• Heartbreaker
    • Gold
    • Demolition
    • Love is Hell Part 1
    • Love is Hell Part 2
    • Rock N' Roll Reverse

So basically, he only put out one good album, really?

I also got Rock N Roll Reverse today. I like it quite a bit. It's a huge change from Heartbreaker, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Yes.

Eh, Gold's not that bad. I gave it a pity vote. Heartbreaker gets my vote because of the Gram Parsons feel of it all.

from what I hear, Ryan put out "Rock and Roll" to spite his record label, who said "Love is Hell" was 'too dark'. So he had to put out RnR in a month, even though he didn't want to do it.

But yeah, Heartbreaker...great album.

How did I not see this earlier? Heartbreaker is, far and away, his best album to date. Not just musically speaking, but vocal-wise as well. On a few of the more tender songs, he actually sounds on the verge of a breakdown (Come Pick Me Up, In My Time of Need)...and I'll admit, lloR N kcoR was pure shite. What? is absolutely right...after Lost Highway heard Love is Hell, they refused to release it, calling it "too dark" and "not what he was capable of". So, to spite them and give them the record they wanted, he recorded lloR n kcoR in a close to three-week span.

Rock N' Roll is just kinda "there". Its music. I can't summerize it any differently. It just overwhelms me with indifference.

Yes.

I always think of Pneumonia , the final Whiskeytown album, as a companion piece to Heartbreaker . The album was essentially a solo effort in all but title and is of similar high quality. All the deserved acclaim he got with Heartbreaker seemed to make his head swell and ever since his songwriting has gone completely down the tube as he seems more concerned with being a 'rock'n'roll star' than writing any decent songs anymore. Strangers Almanac and Faithless Street by Whiskeytown are superior to anything he's done post-Heartbreaker.

Love Is Hell, Pt. 2 is on par with Heartbreaker in terms of awesomeness. I suggest you all hear it.

Love is Hell, Part II was a good album, I'll give you that. But it's only eight songs long. You can't really compare it to Heartbreaker, as Heartbreaker is nearly twice as long. While Heartbreaker has it's weak moments (Amy), it still has more songs on it that are, to sum it up, awesome. Love is Hell, Part II, has "I See Monsters" and not too many other fantastic songs.

The pathetic late 80's U2 ballad fanboy in my loves "So Alive" from the Rock N'Roll album.

Just thought I'd share that.

Rock N' Roll is just kinda "there". Its music. I can't summerize it any differently. It just overwhelms me with indifference.

I take this back. My girlfriend has been listening to it constantly in her car. Its grown on me. Definately more enjoyable than Gold but not as much as the Gram Parsons-ish Heartbreaker.

"Note to Self: Don't Die" is a nice little grunge number, but the rest of the album doesn't really stand out to me. It's basically an album full of background music. It's really hard for me to grasp that Rock N' Roll is an album by the same guy who released great CDs with Whiskeytown, as well as the pure genius that was his first solo album. It boggles my mind. The Gram Parsons comparisons stop after Heartbreaker, I've noticed.

"Note to Self: Don't Die" is a nice little grunge number, but the rest of the album doesn't really stand out to me. It's basically an album full of background music. It's really hard for me to grasp that Rock N' Roll is an album by the same guy who released great CDs with Whiskeytown, as well as the pure genius that was his first solo album. It boggles my mind. The Gram Parsons comparisons stop after Heartbreaker, I've noticed.

Rock N' Roll is like 80's-ish U2 pop. You can hear the synthesizers and shit. Thats cool to me.