TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DCMaximo

David Sammartino

Someone once told me that David Sammartino wrestled for WCW in the late 90's, essentially on Saturday Night or the lesser shows. I checked the archives on ddtdigest.com and it seems he had a cruiser match or two, which surprised me as he was quite chunky in his WWF days. My question is: what happened to him? He came from a big name family and WCW could have made something of him. Even one match on Nitro would have been interesting. How long was he there for?

Guest DR PHIL

I do remember him having a match on nitro with dean malenko.

He was ripped but a short guy, looked pretty cruiserweight level to me.

And they did mention his family name but he jobbed soundly to dean.

He must've been pretty old by then though, right? He was on Wrestlemania I if I recall correctly, although I don't know his age at the time. Granted, I know quite a few of WCW's uppercard was wrestling at or around the time of Wrestlemania I, however they had already been established, rather than pushing an old guy (for example, why Rico isn't being pushed now).

Just to clarify what Dr Phil said, I've found this on ddtdigest.com from 1996

"The Man of 1,000 Holds" Dean Malenko pinned David Sammartino with a double underhook rollover.

The finish was a totally blown spot. Sammartino's right shoulder wasn't anywhere near the mat when the referee started counting.

Malenko retains the World Cruiserweight Title.

David Sammartino has lost a lot of weight and is really cut. He is now in the Cruiserweight division.

Referring to David Sammartino's time in wrestling as a "career" is a stretch. You have to have either 1.talen or 2. money to show that you had a career, don't you?