TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

The official Dawn of the Dead 1979/2004 thread

Figured since both are happening soon I'd just lop it into one thread.

DEFINATLY picking up the DVD, it's my favorite horror movie and looks to have good extras:

-Commentary by director George A. Romero and Special Effects Creator Tom Savini

-Theatrical Trailers, TV & Radio Spots, and Poster Galleries

-Exclusive Preview of the Upcoming DAWN OF THE DEAD Comic Book from IDW Publisher

-4 Page Collector's Booklet with all-new liner notes

And although my first idea was to pass on the remake, I think I'm going to go see it. Worst case senerio it's a bad zombie movie, but I'm going to give it a shot.

thoughts?

Guest FrigidSoul

I saw the preview for it, is it a remake? If so I would love to see zombies in a shopping mall with new technology.

Deffinately gotta grab the DVD too

I'm actually somewhat anticipating the remake. I don't like remakes in general, but I'd like to see this one.

I'm one of the few who actually LIKES the new "zombies that run fast" philosophy that's currently in flavor.

Guest wrestlingbs

While I'm somewhat skeptical about horror movies (How about the critics who said Cabin Fever would revolutionize the genre?), the trailer for this looks amazing, especially

The shot of the bus loaded with survivors in a SEA of zombies!

is the DVD the 3 disc edition?

no, not yet, just a single disc one to coincide with the release of the Remake.

i'm still ponderin if i should pick it up or wait for the 2-3 disc edition. I just love the damn movie so much, i don't think i can wait!

of course i'll watch the remake, seems pretty decent by the trailer, and the zombies look like real corpses walking this time, not just the blueish make-up that the original had (not that there was anything wrong with it).

anyway, here's the first review of the DVD if you want to know a bit more:

Dawn of the Dead - DVD Review

Guest El Satanico

Anyone who buys the single discer is a fool. The 2 or 3 disc version is being released a few months later.

Don't support this blatant attempt to screw fans by buying the single disc.

I signed up for some street team stuff to promote the movie and they sent a disc with the first 8 minutes and the trailer.

The 8 minutes I saw were pretty friggin cool....very, very gory.

Guest Mosaicv2

I still have to say the 1979 version will always be the best... inspite what people have to say... & I will remember the biker scene forever... "You just got fuck!... BIG TIME!"

The 8 minutes I saw were pretty friggin cool....very, very gory.

gory as in the original movie gory with guts and stuff or just bloody just like any movie today?

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

On Monday, March 15, in a first-ever motion picture and television event, USA will debut-in its complete, uncut entirety-the intense opening 10-minute sequence from Universal Pictures' upcoming zombie horror film Dawn of the Dead. The heart-pounding footage, which immerses viewers nearly immediately into a surreal, terrifying world under siege by zombies, will be shown between 10:00 p.m. and 10:30 p.m., near the end of USA's telecast of Final Destination, which begins at 8:00 p.m. Eastern/Pacific (check local listings) on Monday, March 15.

This first-time-ever telecast will allow viewers to watch a full, uncut sequence from the film five days before it hits theaters. USA Networks and Universal Pictures strongly caution that the footage contains graphic violence and language consistent with the film's R rating and recommend that viewers exercise discretion before tuning in.

"'Dawn of the Dead' is so good it's combustible," commented Adam Fogelson, president of marketing for Universal Pictures. "It gets your adrenaline going and keeps it there. You'll scream, laugh, hide your eyes and cheer. We wanted to find a way to give people a real taste of that before the film comes out. Showing the first 10 minutes of 'Dawn of the Dead' unedited, exactly as it exists in the movie, speaks for itself. This material is intended for mature audiences, so the responsible place to air it is after 10 p.m. on USA, a cable network, with plenty of warning about its content."

"This unprecedented telecast is exactly the kind of creative collaboration we love to offer our partners," said Michele Ganeless, executive vice president and general manager of USA Network. "It's a promotional win/win for everybody -- USA gets unique content while Universal gains tremendous exposure for its film."

Dawn of the Dead opens nationwide in theaters on Friday, March 19, 2004. The film has received an MPAA rating of R for pervasive strong horror violence and gore, language and sexuality.

Sarah Polley, Ving Rhames, Jake Weber and Mekhi Phifer head an ensemble cast in a re-envisioning of George Romero's apocalyptic horror classic. An unexplained plague has decimated the world's population and yet ... the dead aren't dying. They've become zombies, stalking endlessly in a constant quest to feed on the flesh and blood of the few remaining living.

A ragtag group of desperate survivors in a Wisconsin town seek refuge in a large indoor mall, where they must learn not only to protect themselves from the ever-increasing zombie horde, but also to co-exist with each other as a last bastion of humanity. Sealed off from the rest of what used to be the world, the group uses every available resource (both within and without) in their against-all-odds fight to remain alive and human.

I was initially against it. Dawn is my favorite horror movie of all time. I don't want them to butcher it and when poeple hear "Dawn of The Dead" think about some crappy remake. But I've eventually warmed up to the idea of the remake and want to give it a fair show.

Like I said, worst case situation, it's another bad zombie movie

Personally, I could care less about what people think when they hear the name of the movie. I only care about what I think.

Even Romero has gone on record to say that making a remake doesn't "ruin" the original, and if anything it creates a desire to see the original if a person hasn't already.

*raises hand*

Dawn 1979 is better.

I don't need to see this movie to know that cause this is not a remake of the original.

I'm going to treat this film like it's not a remake or anything, just lazy Hollywood unable to come up with a real name for a film that has nothing to do with the original.

And in the words of Jay Sherman:

"If the movie is a remake of a classic? RENT the classic!"

You have good points, 2GOLD, but I find no reason to shit on a remake [before I see it, even] for no other reason that it being a remake. I'm waiting to see it before I judge it.

Why didn't they just call it Eve of the Dead, or Morning of the Damned, or Dawn of the Zombies?

Answer: They wanted to get people who go "Oh, I remember Dawn of the Dead" but who aren't the hardcore followers of the original.

I have no problem with this film. It's not a remake, it's lazy naming.

The minute I saw Wisconsin, I dismissed it as a remake.

I mean come on....WISCONSIN? Who the hell bases a horror film in Wisconsin?

Why didn't they just call it Eve of the Dead, or Morning of the Damned, or Dawn of the Zombies?

Answer: They wanted to get people who go "Oh, I remember Dawn of the Dead" but who aren't the hardcore followers of the original.

I have no problem with this film. It's not a remake, it's lazy naming.

The minute I saw Wisconsin, I dismissed it as a remake.

I mean come on....WISCONSIN? Who the hell bases a horror film in Wisconsin?

Ahem...

Hollywood does.

Guest Dynamite Kido

Guys, just a thought here. Trust me, I had the same offended "Fuck them for remaking my Dawn of the Dead!!!" That most of you had but take this into consideration. George Romero wants to make the fourth and final movie to the "Dead" series, that has been said several times over. But he hasn't been able to get the funding to do it. Has anyone here thought that if the remake of his original "Dawn of the Dead" is a huge success that he would be able to get that funding to create the final film? I have, and I think it's a good possibility. I will go see the remake and take it for what it is(knowing it will NEVER top the original), and maybe even enjoying it. Plus, at least I'll have in the back of my head that I am possibly helping George's cause, and make no mistake, to hardcore horror fans it's the cause.

Guys, just a thought here.  Trust me, I had the same offended "Fuck them for remaking my Dawn of the Dead!!!"  That most of you had but take this into consideration.  George Romero wants to make the fourth and final movie to the "Dead" series, that has been said several times over.  But he hasn't been able to get the funding to do it.  Has anyone here thought that if the remake of his original "Dawn of the Dead" is a huge success that he would be able to get that funding to create the final film?  I have, and I think it's a good possibility.  I will go see the remake and take it for what it is(knowing it will NEVER top the original), and maybe even enjoying it.  Plus, at least I'll have in the back of my head that I am possibly helping George's cause, and make no mistake, to hardcore horror fans it's the cause.

Exactly!

If fans show an interest in the reviving zombie genre, regardless of who makes the film, then Romero is all the more likely to get the funding for his project. I mean, can you imagine how insanely good a Romero zombie film would be nowadays considering all of the new filming techniques and FX that are around? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

George "the studios can't tell me what to do" Romero get funding?

The only reason George doesn't get funding is cause he doesn't move on his vision, which is great to have that stance as a director but bad when the studios see you as a bad influence.

I'll get to meet Romero in August but I'm not going to bother asking him about that film. I bet he'll be asked 1000 times over the weekend so I doubt he'll want to be asked again. So I'll ask Savani instead since he'll be there as well.

Plus as Savani once said, "even if we get funding, by the time the movie is finished the zombie crazy will be gone and it'll look like a sad late comer or imitation film"