TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

D!sh network.......

Guest stardust

I'm glad my college provides cable for free in the dorm rooms so I don't have to worry about this crap.

which Is why Im stuck with the combo of a large C-Band dish

C-Band rocks, dude. Even the small dish people will acknowledge that C-Band is better than what they do, but what they do is better for the "average user."

The only real reason that I still have the C Band Dish hooked up is for the Smackdown feed and a couple feeds of shows.

The main problem that I have is that the equipment/dish is 10 years old and falling apart and its nearly impossible to fix it and new equipment is a lot more expensive than stuff for the Directv box.

Oh yeah, the cutoff on the Viacom channels is 3am EST although I dont know the latest. Im getting ready to go browse a sat forum and see what happened durring the "charlie chat".

Statement from Viacom

And heres the info from the Charlie Chat (credit to the site listed)

Summary written by Mark Lamutt. This text is Copyright 2004, DBSTalk.com and Mark Lamutt.

First up, the Viacom negotitions… Failed up to this point. (Charlie’s wearing a nice looking blue shirt tonight)…can’t retransmit stations after midnight tonight by law. Unreasonable demands, extorting higher fees…one higher level Viacon official threatened to pull the superbowl.

Outrageous Demands: over $200,000,000 in additional fees, and $350,000,000 more for lower viewership channels.

Looks like the channels are coming down tonight folks. Sounds like Charlie has thrown in the towel. Totally a violation of the public trust, and viacom has really crossed the line here. Charlie taking a stand. Dish would pay for just CBS, but CBS won’t allow Dish to buy just CBS. Banner – VIACOM REFUSES TO BE REASONABLE

Negotiations will continue, but the channels are coming off at midnight tonight. CBS only coming off for the 15 O&O markets. Charlie lists off the other channels – you all know what they are. Some channels 40% rate increases.

Willing to pay a fair, reasonable fee, but not that much. People smaller than us shouldn’t be paying better rates than we are, as we have more viewers than they do. We’ve always had to pay higher rates, and now they refuse to bring the rates back in line with total number of viewers. The law is very weighted with the big media companies. Viacom wrongly using this weapon against the public trust. But, no contract so the channels come down.

If we were to accept those rates, customers package prices would have to go up, quite a bit.

We now see a banner in the corner of the screen – Recorded 3/8/04…was this recorded earlier tonight? That would be very odd,…

If you’re in a CBS O&O city, you will receive a $1 credit on your bill per month for the loss of CBS. And, you will receive another $1 credit for the loss of the viacom channels in the programming packages. So, up to a $2 credit monthly.

Make your voices heard in this democracy! Call Viacom at 1-212-258-6000 – why can’t you get their channels on Dish Network? Call CBS Television Network at 1-212-975-4321 – why can’t I watch your signal anymore? Call MTV Networks at 1-212-258-8000. Charlie personally wants to hear from you as well – email at CEOofdishnetwork.com

So for people with Dish Network, you will be getting up to $2 back each month for as long as the Viacom channels are off, which starts in a little over 3 hours.

I'm sitting here watching TV, and during commercials SpongeBob comes on and gods "MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!?", and then this message scrolls down the screen saying that Dish Network has threatened to take away the following channels, and then it showed each channel, and then at the end it had the contact information for who to call, and then SpongeBob said goodbye.

That was just weird.

I'm sitting here watching TV, and during commercials SpongeBob comes on and gods "MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!?", and then this message scrolls down the screen saying that Dish Network has threatened to take away the following channels, and then it showed each channel, and then at the end it had the contact information for who to call, and then SpongeBob said goodbye.

That was just weird.

ye the spongebob commercial is hilarious yet disturbing at the same time.......I have D!sh..... :(

MOTHER FUCKER!!!!!!!!

THEY TOOK ALL OF MY CHANNELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe this, just fuck up the ass with a rubber rod. I can't believe they actually went through with this bullshit.

All this means is that I wont be watching any TV except for the news, and wrestling if Spike remains, untill I either get a new service or this is resolved.

This shit shouldn't be legal.

I have a feeling this will be worked out in a week or so. The channels being blacked out are too wide a variety to where it probably affects a lot of age groups and viewers. In our House we have D!sh's everything pak, so hopefully we will get EVERYTHING BACK, soon.

Holy shit...I didn't think it was till next week and figured it'd be solved by then.

FUCK, NO COMEDY CENTRAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Side note, Spike TV is still on for some reason.

DirecTV still loves you, guys. And you haven't lived until you have DirecTiVo. Two tuners so you can record something and watch something else, or watch two things at once by pausing one tuner and switching to the other. Did I mention that even the earliest model has 30 hours of Perfect Quality, since it saves the actual signal and doesn't have to compress it into MPEG?

DirecTV still loves you, guys. And you haven't lived until you have DirecTiVo. Two tuners so you can record something and watch something else, or watch two things at once by pausing one tuner and switching to the other. Did I mention that even the earliest model has 30 hours of Perfect Quality, since it saves the actual signal and doesn't have to compress it into MPEG?

How much does all of that cost?

How much does all of that cost?

DirecTiVo boxes are (or at least were) going to be cheaper than the regular TiVo, since the reason those are so expensive is because of the encoding technology. DirecTiVo's don't need to encode, so they're cheaper by not including it.

DTV is currently running a $99 "Like it or your money back" deal.

http://www.directv.com/directvdvr/dvr_lp/index.htm

The downside is all the legalese about subscribing for a year and whatnot. It's sweet, sweet sex though. If you find a better way to get it, do so. I think DTiVo is carried in electronics stores (I bought mine there), but I just haven't checked lately. I do think that you do pay an itty bitty extra fee to run the second tuner, but not total "second box" price

How much would a DirectTV bill be, if I wanted All the premium channels.......(HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, The Movie Channel, Starz, Encore, Action, Myster, Love, Western WAM......etc....) ?

You could get more from Comcast for probably less including highspeed internet and no contract but.... that is your decision.

You could get more from Comcast for probably less including highspeed internet and no contract but.... that is your decision.

I can't get Comcast though

The advantage I've seen to Comcast when it comes to the premiums is that the Encore group are part of a Plus package. At least, they are here. It's really hard to talk or grade Comcast as a group as the Comcast in Philly isn't the same Comcast in Seattle which isn't the same Comcast in San Fran

Here's the pricing of the premium stations:

1st premium $12/mo.

2nd premium $11/mo.

3rd premium $10/mo.

4th premium $8/mo.

5th premium $7/mo.

The packages are lined up like this:

HBO Group (HBO/HBO2/HBO Family/etc)

Starz/Encore group (Encore, Starz, Action, Romance, WAM, etc)

Cinemax (Cinemax and MoreMax)

Showtime group (Showtime, Showtime Too, Showtime Showcase, Showtime Extreme, Movie Channel, FLIX, Sundance)

It used to be that Cinemax & HBO were a package together, but they've split up, which makes Cinemax a lot less of a good deal than it used to be.

Those extra $-per-month charges are on top of your monthly package bill, and you can compare the packages and what channels they include all here The Premiere package includes all the movie stations as well as a bunch of sports shit you'll probably never watch, but costs an unholy $90 a month. Sweet jeebus.

Here we just have Total Choice Plus with HBO on top of it (although it'll go as soon as the Sopranos season is over)

well here we have the D!sh everything pack, for $98 per month. It is basically the same thing as that Comcast rate for everything, except I think D!sh has a few more networks then Comcast.

And the DTV price for everything is about the same.

It's up to you, but I'd go DTV. The DTivo is great. When you buy a PPV, it asks you after you buy it if you want it recorded. This is how I've enjoyed the last three WrestleManias over and over until the DVD comes out and replaces it. B-)

Comcast is lazy when it comes to moving into new locations, they said they would be in my area SIX YEARS AGO and still haven't made it.

DTV doesn't know where their equipment is even at and NOW I might have to be stuck with one of these???

Screw that, I'd rather have no channels than buy a dish from a company that doesn't even know where the hell their dish is even AT.

DISH will get this solved sooner rather than later and you can bet Viacom will hit up Comcast and DTV next time the contract runs out.

Comcast is lazy when it comes to moving into new locations, they said they would be in my area SIX YEARS AGO and still haven't made it.

I guess I shouldn't get optimistic about VOD or Comcast-leased DVRs appearing in my area soon after all, then. =/

DTV doesn't know where their equipment is even at and NOW I might have to be stuck with one of these???

Uh, what?

Screw that, I'd rather have no channels than buy a dish from a company that doesn't even know where the hell their dish is even AT.

What are you talking about?

Here's a quickie list.

DISH

SHO - 7 (including HD)

FLIX - 1

TMC - 2

HBO - 8 (including HD)

MAX - 5

Starz/Encore - 8

Comcast

TMC 4

FLIX 1

SHO - 12 (including HD channel)

MAX - 7 (including HD channel)

HBO -12 (including HD channel)

Starz/Encore - 16 (including Starz HD)

DirecTV

HBO - 7

Starz/Encore - 12

SHO - 5

TMC - 2

FLIX - 1

MAX - 3

Edit : I didn't include Sundance as a SHO channel because it may/may not be part of the SHO package.

Whoa, 12 HBOs? Now is that because COmcast offers an East/West for each HBO, or is it 12 seperate HBO channels each one having east/west?