TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

Brock Lesnar quits WWE after Mania!

I'm gonna be honest....it sucks that Lesnar is leaving....but nothing, nothing can make me stop watching wrestling. At least until it isn't on TV. If Owen died and the company could get through it, they can now.

Fox Sports News has picked up the story

"WWE superstar Brock Lesnar could be leaving the world of professional wrestling to pursue a career in the NFL.

If a report on PWInsider.com is accurate, Lesnar, 26, announced Tuesday night that he was leaving the WWE after this Sunday's Wrestlemania XX in Madison Square Garden.

Lesnar, who at 6 foot 4, 295 pounds certainly has a body for the NFL, was an NCAA champion wrestler at the University of Minnesota.

An Associated Press report in September 2002 said Lesnar turned down tryout offers from the Tampa Bay Bucs and Washington Redskins, opting instead to sign a developmental contract with the WWE. He joined the company shortly after graduating in 2000 and made his debut just after WrestleMania XVIII in 2002.

Coincidentally, Lesnar's match at this year's Wrestlemania is against Goldberg, who played for the Atlanta Falcons briefly and is also expected to leave the company after the match.

The trend of football players entering the professional wrestling world is nothing new. Steve McMichael was a Bears' lineman. The late Brian Pillman once played for the Bengals. Dwayne Johnson, better known as The Rock, was a star at the University of Miami before a back injury cost him a shot at the NFL.

Johnson and Goldberg even became bona fide stars in their new professions (Johnson having since made another transition into legitimate Hollywod action hero).

That's not even including gridiron greats like Lawrence Taylor and Kevin Greene, who made special appearances in the ring.

And these guys did it with no actual wrestling experience, although Johnson's father and grandfather were early WWF legends.

But the reverse -- a wrestler becoming a pro football player despite no experience -- is unheard of.

The football players that have made the transition have two of the basic qualities necessary for a wrestling career: impressive physiques and a high threshold for pain. Those same qualities aren't nearly enough to make the cut in the NFL.

So what makes Lesnar think he can be the first?

Maybe it's the time he spent working out with veteran NFL guard Corbin Lacina in the 2003 off-season. If the report is accurate, then someone is obviously telling Lesnar he has a shot (and remember, this could be the WWE putting one over on all of us before their marquee event.)

Maybe he figures someone will give him the chance to learn on the job. After all, that's what he's done with the WWE and he went straight to the top there.

Which brings up one more question: Why would he want to leave the company that seems intent on making him a star?

According to the original reports, Lesnar has grown tired of the demanding schedule. There's no off-season in the WWE, the only way to get an extended break is to get badly injured or to become a celebrity in another field a la The Rock."

This is devastating for WWE. Brock was the one young guy that they could count on (Cena can't quite back it up in the ring yet). Angle's on the verge of retirement too (and if he's not, it is only a matter of time before he gets hurt again), which will leave Smackdown with Eddy & Cena and practically nobody else.

Honestly, of all the wrestlers in the company, Lesnar is the one they can afford to lose the least right now.

Guest JRE

I'm glad it's all beginning again at WMXX- 'cause if they just kept goin' like things are....they're really really fucked

Guest JRE

Ya know...this big story is kinda makin' me exicted for...THE WRESTLEMANIA PRESS CONFERENCE~!

Guest KJ Brackish

I say good riddance to EXTREMELY bad rubbish. I'm tired of Lesnar's cry baby reactions to everything. Just because he had to wrestle BOB FUCKING HOLLY and has to put taker over! The WWE have done more for this man that any other person that I know. I think they should screw him over (ala Survivor Series 97') at WrestleMania. Good Fucking Bye Porkchop!

DFA

I didn't read any of the last 10 pages, SO:

How Lesnar has been booked lately, frankly, fucking sucks. Ever since Angle came back in June 03, Brock has been booked like an idiot. So, I have no problem with him voicing concerns about his character. But for him to quit...so dumb, so very very dumb.

"WrestleMaina 20 where it all begins again"

Vince, you have no idea.

One, hopefully this dampers the pushes of the majority of the former OVW talent (More specifically: La Resistance, Batista, Jindrak, Cade, Bashams, etc). Give the pushes to the more experienced crew! (RVD, RVD, RVD, Booker, Matt Hardy, and Jericho).

Two, WWE has to be feeling really fucking stupid now to have one of their main events at the biggest show of the year to feature two guys that won't be with the company after that night.

I remember Kurt Angle saying he tried out for the Pittsburgh Steelers after he won the 1996 gold medal and it didn't work out so well for him. But then again, Angle isn't Lesnar's size.

I remember Kurt Angle saying he tried out for the Pittsburgh Steelers after he won the 1996 gold medal and it didn't work out so well for him. But then again, Angle isn't Lesnar's size.

As I had made mention before.

If a team wanted to make a go at selling some more merchandise, they will sign Lesnar. However, I believe that they'll probably sign him as a tackle for defense or running back, if someone does.

Big IF here.

Guest Trivia247

would make the goldberg lesnar match more interesting figuring how its the only time you'll see them wrassle.

then again if both men are going then who will be jobbing?

usually someone when they leave bow out in a quiet squash...

alls Hogan vs Yokozuna where Hogan was never mentioned again after the match.

but with both men going out........... kinda screws that up...

heh wouldn't it be funny that if Brock goes, Goldberg gets a tastier contract settlement and he decides to stay.

Sounds like Joe Gibbs may have found that offensive lineman he was looking for.

"At right tackle, BROCK LESNAR"

He'd be the first offensive lineman with theme music! He'd bring fame to offensive linemen everywhere!

Not to mention they could use him on defense and he could F-5 Donovan McNabb!

Guest thebigjig
Sounds like Joe Gibbs may have found that offensive lineman he was looking for.

"At right tackle, BROCK LESNAR"

He'd be the first offensive lineman with theme music! He'd bring fame to offensive linemen everywhere!

Not to mention they could use him on defense and he could F-5 Donovan McNabb!

now THAT I would love to see

Guest Anglesault
Who would've thought Brock would turn into such a pussy?

WAAAH THEY MADE ME WRESTLE BOB HOLLY THEY'RE MAKING ME LOSE TO UNDERTAKER

Yeah, not like the man has a legitimate point or anything.

would make the goldberg lesnar match more interesting figuring how its the only time you'll see them wrassle.

then again if both men are going then who will be jobbing?

usually someone when they leave bow out in a quiet squash...

alls Hogan vs Yokozuna where Hogan was never mentioned again after the match.

but with both men going out........... kinda screws that up...

heh wouldn't it be funny that if Brock goes, Goldberg gets a tastier contract settlement and he decides to stay.

They'll probably do the Judgment Day '98 deal where Steve Austin beats the shit out of everyone and declares himself the winner.

Guest Trivia247

sooner or later even the series of Matches with the limited amount of Main eventers get tiring...

Brock vs Guerrero, vs angle, vs Big Show, vs Cena, vs Guerrero, vs angle, vs Big Show, vs Cena etc etc etc etc

even if Holly didn't have a snowballs chance in hell in beating Lesnar on paper at least he is a different face.

unless they alternated Brock to the other show it would be the same old rutt

Guest Anglesault
even if Holly didn't have a snowballs chance in hell in beating Lesnar on paper at least he is a different face.

It's still Bob Holly.

I wish they had time to make this a double retirement match. They could have booked it as the ultimate RAW vs. SD match, because in the end when it is all said and done, one of the brands would be losing one of their top guys.

Loser leaves town match.

Austin calls for a Double-DQ.

That would have been great

They can still add that stipulation by making that announcement right as soon as the broadcast begins.

They should do it on Heat, and really build that up the entire show. I'm sure that would even get a few more people to order the show at the last minute.

Actually make the announcement on Smackdown! through the magic of post-production. That would give people the more time to decide if they want to spend the $50.

WM just got a whole lot more interesting, my friends. I am getting a SurvivorSeries '97 vibe in that they probably won't make an announcement of Goldberg's and Brock's departure until the night of the show like Bret. Screwjob? Naw. But I guess we know what will go on last on Sunday don't we?

Gotta agree with Anglesault...it is still Bob Holly.

Guest KJ Brackish

He doesn't have a legitamate point. I've had to wrestle people who were in the bowels of the wrestling world, and I didn't complain. He's even getting a BIG FAT PAYCHECK for doing so. What a little puss! If I got paid to go to a different country (at their expense mind you) and wrestle a dumb ass (job or no-job)....... I'd be kissing the ground that Vince walks on. Not acting like a cry baby dumb shit. I blame it all on the SSP from last year. It fucked his brain up.

DFA

Guest Askewniverse
Fox Sports News has picked up the story

This is starting to sound more and more like a ploy to get some extra PPV buys.