TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lightning Flik

MVP Baseball 2004

I'm in sore need of a sporting game, as I don't have one anymore (I gave my Madden 2004 up for a credit at Microplay). I've suddenly come into a "baseball frenzy" and desperately want to get a new game. Since I have the clams and to cleanse my baseball needs, I figured I'd pick up a baseball game.

I've heard a lot of good things about MVP, from online websites and that. However, I'd like your opinion. I'm going tomorrow to Microplay (I was planning on going today, but I'm ending up near Microplay again tomorrow, so I figured, might as well wait), so I thought I'd ask for your opinions.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

the're all coming out now. Sega, EA, and the shitty one, I forgot what it's called. Maybe rent first.

the're all coming out now. Sega, EA, and the shitty one, I forgot what it's called. Maybe rent first.

Well, I don't want to rent, becuase if I do, I'm spending $20. ($10 for a week rental becuase I like to make sure I get my value's worth, then $3 there via bus, $3 back to go and to get back).

Hence, I'd rather just buy one of the baseball games.

I dont know what console you have, But MVP is the only "real" Baseball game for the Gamecube. Theres also slugfest but that doesn't count.

Im an ASB fan and Im pissed they didn't put a game out for the Cube, but then again I bought ASB 2004 last year and it was ok, but not as good as some of the N64 incarnations.

Well, I just finished my first year in MVP baseball and I like it, outisde a few quirks. My Astros came from the wild card and beat the Red Sox in 6 with Roger Clemens pitching a complete game 4 hitter in Fenway on 3 days rest (oh I love irony). I then let Craig Biggio go and traded some players around (Richard Hidalgo, Brad Ausmus, and Octavio Dotel among others) for some prospects and cap rook as well as getting Mark Kotsay to play center and Mike Leiberthal to catch, with Jason Lane playing RF for the departed Richard Hidalgo. Plus, as an added bonus, Roger decided to come back for another year! Although since Bagwell is getting a bit older I might consider trading him for Delgado if he gets put back on the market.

The control scheme is good, although it takes a couple exhibitions to get used to it. The only bad part is that the computer sometimes takes you to the wrong fielder to make a play, and the computer controlled players will do something screwy (such as backing up a throw or covering a base rather than making a play on the ball). Also, unless you learn to hit the cutoff man QUICKLY, get ready to give up a lot of triples and inside the park homers. That and the computers' annoying tendency to make leaping grabs for hits they have no business getting to are the only real problems. Yes players sometimes get upset but as long as you keep winning the team chemistry usually just gets better so it's not a huge problem. All in all it's a fun game and you can get some amazing numbers (I had Jeff Kent, Jeff Bagwell, Richard Hidalgo, and Morgan Ensberg all with over 40 HRs) if you get the timing for most fastballs down.

Has anyone else had a problem with the Fenway bug? Everytime someone hits it into the corner at the end of the monster, your CF gets stuck and usually won't get to the ball until the runner gets to 3rd or if they're fast an iside the park HR. I got swept by Toronto during the first month of my season due in part to this crap, who the hell do they have testing?

well EA doesn't really test. That's why the're games always come out first :ph34r:

I forgot about All Star. Here's my personal sliding scale

Sega/ESPN/World Series/whatever the fuck the're calling it now

MVP

All Star

Baseball Stars for Neo Geo

That nintendo game with the cyborg baseball players where you could buy parts for them

MLB

Guest cpac

I am in love with MVP baseball. The best part about the game are the sliders. You have a problem with a certain aspect of the game, just change it. Like the previous stated it is very easy to get doubles and triples in the game. All you have to do is increase the outfielders running speed and it cuts that down. I haven't noticed any of the fielding quirks. All you have to do is press the a button to get the closest fielder besides you to the ball.

Well, I purchased MVP.

Gotta say I'm liking the micro managing aspect. Quite fun.

My Edmonton Trappers are dominating the PCL though. With hitter Edward James (CF, #91) hitting 18 RBIs, 3HR in six games down in the minors, he's just smoking teams along. He's pretty much single handly winning my games down there, as my team is 6-0 because of him.

My Montreal Expos aren't doing half bad either. I'm doing pretty well. I'm 5-0 and doing very well batting wise. Hopefully I can keep it up.

Guest OctoberBlood

The game is brilliant, and by far the best console baseball game I've ever played. I am in love. There is nothing wrong with it on my half, because the Sliders make it near perfect. I don't see a load of triples or inside the parkers because of that. I'm alittle after the All Star break in my franchise, and it's been great. I'm just testnig it right now though, waiting for opening day rosters or something better updated. Then I'll run a real franchise.

Had a game against the Mets with Leiter as the starter. My first true test and I just about hacked it.

I won the game 3-2, but I really played stupidily as I made a mound visit because Livan Hernadez was pitching kinda poorly, yes, I know, that's me, but still, I coughed up 2 and my health was down to 89% after 2 innings.

Problem was the bastard took it negatively and dropped to 79% and made me have to yank him early, stick in a reliever in the sixth.

Needless to say the only reason why I won the game was Batista was kind enough to chalk one up.

And needless to say right after I mention James was my Trappers All-Star, the bastard only hits 1-4 last game against the 51s. I still won that game 6-2, but I kinda don't think the Trappers can win without him.

Oh well, I picked up Werth for the Trappers, so I think they'll have some solid hitting now.

players sometimes get upset but as long as you keep winning the team chemistry usually just gets better so it's not a huge problem.

They actually put team chemestry in the game?

players sometimes get upset but as long as you keep winning the team chemistry usually just gets better so it's not a huge problem.

They actually put team chemestry in the game?

Yeah, but it's not that big a deal. Each player has a happiness meter determined on things like contract, money, playing time, etc. If they're not happy you get emails saying they want so and so (usually more money or more playing time) and that they're starting to disrupt the clubhouse. All this contributes to a "Team Chemistry" meter on your main screen. I haven't noticed much difference in a high chemistry rating and a low rating, but there supposedly is. Usually if your team is winning the chemistry remains high anyway so I just let the players chill and deal with them in the offseason.

Guest OctoberBlood

The points/Contracts system is really crappy. Everyone besides one or two players on my team had 1 year contracts and after the season I had no money. That kills the game.

Guest cpac

Why would the person buy the game used for 40 dollars and 5 dollars for shipping and handling. You can get the game brand new for like 52. Wow you save 7 whole bucks and have to wait to get it. I'll pass. Anyhow I got a ten dollar rebate for my game and coconuts.

Guest OctoberBlood
Why would the person buy the game used for 40 dollars and 5 dollars for shipping and handling. You can get the game brand new for like 52. Wow you save 7 whole bucks and have to wait to get it. I'll pass. Anyhow I got a ten dollar rebate for my game and coconuts.

Uh, Wow kiddo.. then don't buy it. I am not selling a brand new game for more than 15 less than what I paid. If no one buys it, then cool .. fine with me, I'll keep it. But if I can get almost all my money back, then I'm gonna give it a try.

Guest cpac

Thats great. I just think anyone who pays 5 dollars less for a used game is an idiot.

I've actually got the game for the Xbox, and it doesn't look like it's just my system or disc. Many are complaining about the same problem on the Gamefaq boards. None of my other games have this problem.

Guest OctoberBlood
Thats great.  I just think anyone who pays 5 dollars less for a used game is an idiot.

There is absolutely nothing different than my game and the one you buy at the store. It's basicly brand new. Only thing is.. ohh, it's not wrapped in plastic with hard to get off tape~!`1 :ph34r:

My game is tapeless! That's worth an extra 10 bucks right there.

I'm not doing too bad with my Montreal Expos.

My only bitch is chemistry. I've got almost everyone on my team complaining (especially Orlando Cabrea) about pay, and they then turn around and are bitching about how awful it is.

Then, I have people bitching about playing time, since playing time for them sucks ass. Man, I've got so many players complaining about playing time. I don't understand why Cabrea is bitching about his playing time, since he's been playing nonstop besides a freaking injury. Nick Johnson was doing the same, but the guy was freaking injuried and I wasn't about to play him.

I'm getting to the point where I want to trade half of my freaking team. Ugh... Thankfully, I built some created players (no, they aren't godly, beside Chris Morris) and sent their asses to the minors. I'll probably have to call up every single minors player I've got because dammit, everyone's just bitching.

I'm loving every freaking minute of the game.

dude you're the Expos. Cabrera would rather die than waste his prime years in Puerto Rico.

and why in the name of god would you buy a new game over a used game? Did you get a baseball card or something?

dude you're the Expos. Cabrera would rather die than waste his prime years in Puerto Rico.

and why in the name of god would you buy a new game over a used game? Did you get a baseball card or something?

I would trade Cabrera's ass in a moment if I knew I could get his production back in like three-way deal trade (I've got my rookie Edward James, but I'm letting him make some better stats down with my Godly Trappers team, besides, James would replace Everett and too many trades).

Hell, I'll probably offer his ass up at the trade deadline since Mateo was doing quite well before I got Cabrera back. Although, he wouldn't hit as many HRs... So there's always a downside.

But it's not just Cabrera, I've got Biddle on my ass becuase he isn't getting paid enough. I've got Everett, and practically everyone on my team, from the AA to MLB harping on my ass besides the three-four people I created (because I actually paid them good)

I bought it new for a deal. Like about the price of a used. Hence, why I bought new.

Oh and here's the NL East:

Expos -> 20-7

Marlins -> 15-11

Braves -> 12-13

Philles -> 10-15

Mets -> 10-16

So I think my Expos are much better than you give credit for. Although I've got 133 RS and only 54 RA, that's not realistic of how I've played. When my team gets its bats going, I win huge; when the bats are cold, I struggle to win.

My record would be closer to 14-13 if I didn't pitch like greatness.

Guest OctoberBlood

Exactly. No difference.

Someon bidded on my game as well. So I'm happy. Should have my video card money soon, then I'll acquire MVP for the PC. :D

I nabbed it today, and am very impressed by the Dynasty mode. First off, it's 120 friggin' years long! I also think the ability to play AAA and AA games is pretty neat; you can actually see how a prospect plays before bringing him up instead of relying on stats. I also like the option that you can either play, sim, or Manage a game. Pitching is pretty easy to grasp, but hitting is pretty tough, but not to the point where it feels like the CPU is being cheap.

My bro and I are just starting a Dynasty with the SAWX~! Our collective lack of hitting ability resulted in a 3-1 loss.

One more point: I like how Freddy Sanchez is back in Pawtucket. It's like EA took pity on Boston for that trade last year and decided to strike it from virtual memory.

"One more point: I like how Freddy Sanchez is back in Pawtucket. It's like EA took pity on Boston for that trade last year and decided to strike it from virtual memory."

LMAO

amen brother!!

Well, I gotta say, that if I had my fifth PS2 that I've owned has gone up and broke a whole week ago (stupid fucking piece of shitty Sony products), I now can't play MVP.

However, I might as well ask something fun:

How you guys doing in your dynasty's so far? Good, special? Anything extra ordinary? Really bad? SPILL~!

Guest OctoberBlood

Dude, wtf are you doing to your systems? I've had one PS2 for about 4 years. No problems, just had to clean it once.