TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

Brock the football player

I think he'll have to spend a year or two in the Arena league to get a feel for football again before he'd really be ready for the NFL

Dama, it was a JOKE.

The line from "Foley is Good" was this:

"A visit to 'Foley's Gym' confirmed this. Sure, I was benching somewhere around 430 (or quarter to five in the evening), but the results weren't all that impressive."

He was talking about time when he made the joke. Not how much weight he could lift.

Jeez jump on my case.

I haven't read the book in a few years and I just remember the number 430 coming from the book.

I'm pretty sure Mick Foley can legitimately bench a bunch of weight. I maxed out around 220 in High School and I've got guys on my Rugby team that can get up 280 easily.

One of the top rated RBs, Kevin Jones, ran a 4.6. Heck, USC WR Mike Williams supposedly can't go faster than 4.7 (source is Pete Prisco, though).

I think the numbers are excellent. If he can do that without a lot of prep, he'll impress a lot of scouts once he improves on those scores.

Dama, it was a JOKE.

The line from "Foley is Good" was this:

"A visit to 'Foley's Gym' confirmed this. Sure, I was benching somewhere around 430 (or quarter to five in the evening), but the results weren't all that impressive."

He was talking about time when he made the joke. Not how much weight he could lift.

Jeez jump on my case.

I haven't read the book in a few years and I just remember the number 430 coming from the book.

I'm pretty sure Mick Foley can legitimately bench a bunch of weight. I maxed out around 220 in High School and I've got guys on my Rugby team that can get up 280 easily.

Mick Foley has said that one of the things he's proud of is the fact that he can lift the same amount of weight now as he could when he was a 200 lb 17 year old kid, which probably wasn't that much to begin with.

I'm interested to see how Brock does, because in most cases football players can't be successful unless they've had some experience in the College/Minor level, and excelled too. Minor being NFL Europe, CFL, etc.

I remember an interview with Brock on "Piledriver," the wrestling radio show, where someone asked Brock what he could bench, and he said, "Whatever I want," and then laughed. He followed that up by answering, "Actually, I can bench almost 600 pounds."

I think he could be a quality MLB. He has the size and speed (a 4.6 40 on defense, outside of the secondary, is terrific). Coming from an amateur wrestling background, he must have very good lateral quickness.

If you stick him in an organization like the Eagles, where the safeties call the defensive schemes as opposed to the MLB and just let him go out there to find the ball and tackle there is real potential IMO.

For reference, top MLB Jonathan Vilma is 6 ft. 233 lbs and runs a 4.54 40.

Guest SP-1
Anyway, those are awfully good measureables. The 40's surprising to me, I didn't take him for the real quick on his feet type.

During the Thanksgiving Smackdown from Columbia, SC the year before last, I was sitting in prime position to see Brock make his run through the crowd before F-5'ing The Big Show.

He freaking flew down the 'aisle' that security made in the crowd for him. I remember being somewhat amazed at how fast he was for a dude his size.

Guest MikeSC
Anyway, those are awfully good measureables.  The 40's surprising to me, I didn't take him for the real quick on his feet type.

During the Thanksgiving Smackdown from Columbia, SC the year before last, I was sitting in prime position to see Brock make his run through the crowd before F-5'ing The Big Show.

He freaking flew down the 'aisle' that security made in the crowd for him. I remember being somewhat amazed at how fast he was for a dude his size.

You're from Columbia, SC?

Hey, I'm right friggin' there.

Groovy.

-=Mike

I really don't think the question ever was whether he was athletic enough or not...

It's more that he hasn't even played at the college level.

If he'd have chosen Football over amateur wrestling...he may have been a decent football player. Stranger things have happened.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

Anthony Mundine made a successful progression from Professional Football to Professional Boxing, so I'll give him credit for that, even if he is a wanker.

DE would be the only position that I could see he playing without the experience, and people would just run right at his ass all day, because I am guessing he would be one of the "Rush the QB every play" type of player.

People really underestermate how much thinking andknowing the game is involved in playing football. LB, OL, RB, DT, QB...those are 5 positions you just aren't going to step in and play. You can get a guy to just cover a receiver, you can get a guy to just run routes. but there is so much shit involved in being in those 5 positions, no new guy is going to just come in and be successful there.

Guest SP-1
Anyway, those are awfully good measureables.  The 40's surprising to me, I didn't take him for the real quick on his feet type.

You're from Columbia, SC?

Hey, I'm right friggin' there.

Groovy.

-=Mike

Aye. I'm 10 minutes from downtown. At school, anyway. During Summer and Christmas, I'm in Charleston.

This first year might be interesting to watch Brock. But in a few years, when he's had time to get the material in his head, he might turn out to be a force to be reckoned with.

Maybe.

Don't be surprised to see Brock picked up by a team just for the story behind it. It's good advertising.

Anthony Mundine made a successful progression from Professional Football to Professional Boxing, so I'll give him credit for that, even if he is a wanker.

I doubt many people here would know who he is, but a correct comparison nonetheless.

Guest Diddy

I think that Defensive End would be a great fit for Brock. As you mentioned he's quicker than you expected and trying to improve. If he does so perhaps even outside line-backer would be a good spot for him :cheers:

If it doesn't work out and he went to the Arena League he'd be the most talked about player in there most likely. If he was any good at all in the AFL he'd probably get another shot at the NFL. Is he planning on just entering the league as a Free Agent or is he draft eligible?

DE would be the only position that I could see he playing without the experience, and people would just run right at his ass all day, because I am guessing he would be one of the "Rush the QB every play" type of player.

People really underestermate how much thinking andknowing the game is involved in playing football. LB, OL, RB, DT, QB...those are 5 positions you just aren't going to step in and play. You can get a guy to just cover a receiver, you can get a guy to just run routes. but there is so much shit involved in being in those 5 positions, no new guy is going to just come in and be successful there.

Not to nitpick, but I'd say more thinking is involved in running those routes than being a RB. I've heard many a times that the easiest position to learn and hardest to play was running back. I'd have to agree.

Guest Choken One

he wants to go in as a free agent...he wouldn't get picked up in the draft..He's trying to impress enough people to get invited to a camp...I'm sure he'll make a camp just because of his rawness and size is a worthy curiosity to check out...

Kinda like how a College Coach will always be willing to go to a deep unknown country to see a 7'2 375 Center...same thing here...a 6'3 295 beast with mad speed and strength is a worthy curiosity.

People really underestermate how much thinking andknowing the game is involved in playing football.  LB, OL, RB, DT, QB...those are 5 positions you just aren't going to step in and play.  You can get a guy to just cover a receiver, you can get a guy to just run routes.  but there is so much shit involved in being in those 5 positions, no new guy is going to just come in and be successful there.

Not to nitpick, but I'd say more thinking is involved in running those routes than being a RB. I've heard many a times that the easiest position to learn and hardest to play was running back. I'd have to agree.

I don't know. An RB needs to be able to block and pick up blitzes, right? Picking up a blitz from Bellichek or Johnson seems pretty tough to me.

Guest Redhawk

Brock Lesnar is bigger than Goldberg and Droz, both of whom played DT in the NFL. That's where I'd see him playing, as a DT or DE. He seems almost too big for a LB, although he is smaller than Levon Kirkland.

But the fact the he hasn't played since high school worries me.

And I don't want to be a party pooper but...has he been tested for steroids yet?

Guest Choken One

i doubt Brock would even THINK of going to the NFL camps...knowing he would be tested...which means dispite everyone's convictions...Brock isn't juiced.

Guest Brian

Or he's on something that they can't test for. Or he's been off it long enough where he can be tested without problem.

Choken One, I agree, Brock isn't on steroids.

He's free of any acne, popping veins, and just by looking at his chest, you can tell.

It's just something that amateur/ex-amateur wrestlers hardly ever do.

Just for Haha's, some team should pick him up and make him a safety and let him go around and knock the shit out of people.

While it wouldn't be funny, he could be like a Forrest Gump.

Or the Waterboy.

Just for Haha's, some team should pick him up and make him a safety and let him go around and knock the shit out of people.

While it wouldn't be funny, he could be like a Forrest Gump.

Or the Waterboy.

Forrest Gump was far superior to The Waterboy, for obvious reasons.

So am I talking about the films or the characters?

Guest Choken One
Choken One, I agree, Brock isn't on steroids.

He's free of any acne, popping veins, and just by looking at his chest, you can tell.

It's just something that amateur/ex-amateur wrestlers hardly ever do.

Yeah...Look at that Angle kid.

No Roids on him baby.

But yeah...Brock was big in HS, College and WWE...why do some people refuse to believe Brock got that way NATURALLY?

It's because those people are usually too fat and lazy to make the effort to be in that shape and decide to chalk it up to "he must be on roids, hand me another saugage pizza"...

Guest Redhawk

Other teams wouldn't just "run at his ass all day," because I'm sure Brock's team would put their best run-stuffing OLB on his side to compensate.

Choken One, while I agree with your sentiments on Brock Lesnar to the fullest extent, I hope that you're not implying that Kurt Angle is jacked.

Guest Nater

They could do a Confidential special on Kurt called "Pimpledential".

make sense?? :bonk: