TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Jack Black Vs. King Kong

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20
Envy star Jack Black has been in cast alongside Naomi Watts in Peter Jackson's remake of King Kong. Black will play Carl Denham, an adventurer filmmaker who is trying to make a name for himself in 1930s New York. Robert Armstrong played the role in the 1933 original.

Watts is playing Ann Darrow, an American actress who makes a living performing in Broadway song and dance shows. The project, which will shoot in Jackson's native New Zealand, is set up at Universal Pictures.

"I've been wanting to work with Jack Black ever since I saw him in High Fidelity," said Jackson, who is also writing the remake along with his "Lord of the Rings" co-screenwriters Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens. "He's a smart and versatile actor blessed with an abundance of energy and charm and I'm absolutely thrilled that he is joining us on 'Kong."'

Guest El Satanico

Wow...talk about surprise casting. This is totally out of left field.

So, does this mean he's trying his hand at serious acting? Can't see Naomi Watts signing on for a comedic take on King King, now that she's a hot actress in Hollywood and can probably pick and choose.

But can JB do serious acting? In all the movies he's been in, he's been a comedy character of sorts. I'm sitting here in a Tenacious D shirt right now, but I have very little faith in his being able to pull off this role.

Guest El Satanico

Well Peter Jackson must've saw something in him when he read for the part. Guess we just got to trust in Peter Jackson.

I'm guessing that King Kong will be captured by Americans and brought to New York, where he will climb a tall building and fall to his doom.

Seriously, how many different versions of what was posted above do we need?

Guest Astro

King Kong Fun Facts:

Merian Cooper considered using a real gorilla fighting a kimodo dragon (for the Kong vs Dino scene)

For this film, Kong at Yankee Stadium was the original intention, later changed to the theater.

Both Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack had been wrestlers, and they acted out the fighting moves for the battle between the T Rex and Kong in the effects studio, before the animators shot the scene.

Both Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack had been wrestlers, and they acted out the fighting moves for the battle between the T Rex and Kong in the effects studio, before the animators shot the scene.

LIONTAMER ON THE T-REX!!

OH MY GOD! THAT TYRANOSAURAS IS BEING BROKEN IN HALF!!

I'm guessing that King Kong will be captured by Americans and brought to New York, where he will climb a tall building and fall to his doom.

Yeah, well we also thought that Godzilla would be a dragon/T-Rex lizard thing that would trash NYC, and we know how that one turned out.

Guest El Satanico

He still can't go insane with his act like he usually does. He'll have to show some restraint.

Guest Vitamin X

I hope this doesn't turn out as bad as the 2000 Godzilla remake with Matthew Broderick...

JB doesn't play the same character in each movie guys. Yes, he can act, and he was once part of Tim Robbins' "The Actors Gang". Jim Carrey did serious acting fine in Truman Show, and Robin Williams was great in Dead Poets. They were both alot wilder and crazier than JB is. Can't we give this news a couple days before we all start badmouthing it.

Jack Black is just playing the Carl Denham role, which hardly requires a huge amount of serious acting. Nor is he the romance lead. That would be Adrien Brody....which I have to admit sounds a lot goofier than Jack Black.

If Jim Carrey comes out with a Mothra movie, though, you will have a hard time convincing me this isn't all one big joke Black, Brodrick and him came up with on the set of Cable Guy.

If Jim Carrey comes out with a Mothra movie, though, you will have a hard time convincing me this isn't all one big joke Black, Brodrick and him came up with on the set of Cable Guy.

If Jim Carrey was in a new mothra.... I'd mark out like a mother-bitch