TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Comedy Central's 100 Greatest Stand-Ups

Cedric the Entertainer deserves to be on the list. Because you don't listen to someone do stand up doesn't make them bad.

I can't argue with the people on the list, just some of the positions. But people like Wanda Sykes, Cedric, they play to a black audience, but are GREAT. And Dave Chappelle is a hell of a stand-up guy. I just haven't seen THAT much of his work. All that I have seen is hilarious though.

Ripper, if someone is funny only to a certain audience, they're not that funny. I've seen my share of black comedians that made me laugh my ass off (Chappelle, Redd Foxx, Rock, Murphy, Pryor, hell Mario freaking Joyner was a riot back in the day). They play to a black audience, but are funny to those of us that aren't black. Wanda Sykes is not funny.

It's like Jeff Foxworthy and those three other guys that did that redneck equivalent of 'the kings of comedy' that's on Comedy Central all the time. They're target audience is rednecks from the south (which I'm not). And they cracked the good ol' boys up, but not me. I'd put Wanda and Cedric in that category, too: funny to their target audience, but not funny enough to be in the top 100.

Ripper, if someone is funny only to a certain audience, they're not that funny. I've seen my share of black comedians that made me laugh my ass off (Chappelle, Redd Foxx, Rock, Murphy, Pryor, hell Mario freaking Joyner was a riot back in the day). They play to a black audience, but are funny to those of us that aren't black. Wanda Sykes is not funny.

It's like Jeff Foxworthy and those three other guys that did that redneck equivalent of 'the kings of comedy' that's on Comedy Central all the time. They're target audience is rednecks from the south (which I'm not). And they cracked the good ol' boys up, but not me. I'd put Wanda and Cedric in that category, too: funny to their target audience, but not funny enough to be in the top 100.

When I say play to a certain audience, I mean the means to see them is usually shit, honestly, white people aren't watching. When you watch cedric do literally hours of stand-up on Comic View on BET, I am going to go out on a limb and say not many people saw that. Probably Kings of Comedy and Def Jam(to some of you).

I can say this because with the ages around here, most of these guys were 9-10 when he was Comic View and I doubt they were watching.

When I see people say Cedric is funny at standup when I know they probably have only gotten to see him do it one or two times, I can say because he has been playing to a different audience.

And seriously, George Carlin isn't considered a comic genius to alot of black people who have watched his HBO specials, but that doesn't make him a bad comedian.

Wanda Sykes, I can see..but Cedric is a great standup comedian. I am still shocked I haven't seen people question Bernie yet.

I can't argue with the people on the list, just some of the positions. But people like Wanda Sykes, Cedric, they play to a black audience, but are GREAT.

Hey man, I'm from the streets, but Wanda Sykes is not great. She's fuckin terrible. Cedric is great, though.

I thought the redneck standup guys were great. Especially Bill Hicks...and I'm not a redneck either. Kings of Comedy didn't do much for me. Cedric got some laughs out of me, and so did Bernie when it came to beating up children, but for the most part it didn't get me.

When it comes to Wanda Sykes it's really iffy for me. Sometimes I think she can be funny, but most of the time annoying. Although she cracks me up on Curb Your Enthisiasm.

Guest Dids

Bill Hicks is not a red neck- at least not in the vein of the "Blue Color Comedy Tour".

Moreover- that tour wasn't designed for a rural audience. It was designed for upper class whiteys to laugh at rural jokes.

I can't argue with the people on the list, just some of the positions.  But people like Wanda Sykes, Cedric, they play to a black audience, but are GREAT.

Hey man, I'm from the streets, but Wanda Sykes is not great. She's fuckin terrible. Cedric is great, though.

I think every thing she does now is terrible, but she was a damn funny stand-up comic.

then came pooty-tang which made me question anyones sense of humor and life it self...

Guest MikeSC
He didn't...which is too bad

Freddie Prinze made #49 --- and Lynch didn't even make top 100?

OK, kids, just because a guy died doesn't suddenly make him funnier.

-=Mike