TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Just John

Best/Worst NWO era ppv

I haven't seen GAB 98, but the card doesn't look too bad. You've got Saturn/Kanyon, Eddie/Chavo, Jericho/Malenko, and Booker/Benoit, all going 10-15 minutes. There's also worthless stuff like Juvi/Reese, Goldberg/Konnan, and Sting/Giant (with a cigarette). Maybe not great, but it can't be as bad as some of the shows mentioned.

Spring Stampede 98 doesn't look too good. The only matches that look good are DDP/Raven (no dq), Booker/Benoit and Chavo/Ultimo. Then, there's garbage like Luger and Rick Steiner vs. Buff and Scott Steiner. Also there's Giant and Piper vs. Hogan and Nash in a "bat on a pole match." The rest looked pretty average, except for Psychosis' first and last WCW ppv win.

Not to divert the topic, but did Psychosis ever win any other matches in WCW? Even all of the tag matches I can remember had him on the losing side.

Not to divert the topic, but did Psychosis ever win any other matches in WCW? Even all of the tag matches I can remember had him on the losing side.

He nearly always beat Kidman(Flock version).Here's my take on how the Cruiserweights were ranked by WCW in 97/98.After La Parka you get to guys like El Dandy and Damien who never won against anyobdy.

Rey Misterio Jr.

Chris Jericho

Eddie Guerrero(in Early 98 he was jobbed out though)

Dean Malenko

Ultimo Dragon

Juventud Guerrera

Psychosis

Chavo Guerrero Jr.(in 98 he was getting a good push)

Kidman

La Parka

I don't know if I agree with your placement of Kidman. Sure, he was a jobber for most of that time, but at the end of 98 he was getting a god push by CW standards. He beat Disco, Juvi twice, Rey and Juvi in a 3-way, and Eddie in the span of 3 ppv's.

On another completely unrelated note, that list reminded me of Chris Jericho doing the announcing for the cruiser battle royal at Slamboree. "Next is Johnny Singer... Swinger? Whatever, he has no chance of winning."

After watching my Bash at the Beach 98 tape the other day, I definitely give it a nomination for one of the worst nWo era PPVs.

And as for Psychosis, he did get a PPV win at Spring Stampede 98 over La Parka.

You're absolutely right, but my question was if he ever won any matches besides that one.

Also, to stay on the real topic, I have another nom for worst.

WW3 1998. I was looking through some old results, and I remembered that I actually watched this horrible show. It contained:

- Glacier (post injury) vs. Wrath (after excessive roid use)

- Stevie Ray vs. Konnan

- Cat/Sonny Oono vs. Saturn/Kaz

- Steiner monthly no contest

- Unexciting battle royal dominated by Nash

You're absolutely right, but my question was if he ever won any matches besides that one.

My apologies, then. I must've read your question incorrectly.

- Steiner monthly no contest

What the hell was up with that shit? They broke up in February of 1998 at SuperBrawl, and had all of one actual match to show for that (Halloween Havoc 1998)

Why did they keep going with the no-contest thing?

I also have to nominate Bash at the Beach 98 for worst, if I hadn't already.

After they broke up, they had a couple tag matches against each other, and then Rick suffered some injury which put the feud in deep freeze. That's why it took so long, but I have no idea on the repeated no contests. The first was at Road Wild (where Scott pretended to be injured), then Fall Brawl (where Buff pretended to re-injure his neck). They had a 5-minute match at Halloween Havoc that Rick won. Then another no contest at WW3 that degenerated into and NWO/Goldberg brawl.

As far as I know, they stayed away from each other after that until they reunited in 99.

After they broke up, they had a couple tag matches against each other, and then Rick suffered some injury which put the feud in deep freeze. That's why it took so long, but I have no idea on the repeated no contests. The first was at Road Wild (where Scott pretended to be injured), then Fall Brawl (where Buff pretended to re-injure his neck). They had a 5-minute match at Halloween Havoc that Rick won. Then another no contest at WW3 that degenerated into and NWO/Goldberg brawl.

An injury put the whole thing on hold?

Figures.

You also left off one match, the tag match between Rick/Buff and Scott/Giant where Buff ran off, left Rick behind, and Rick ended up winning the match.

This was also the match where the Giant did a missile dropkick off the top rope, or at least tried it.

I think that's about all of them though.

Few tag matches (ones you mentioned)

Road Wild (I don't think that match even got started)

Fall Brawl

Two matches at Halloween Havoc

World War 3

I think World War 3 was the last one, or at least if I remember that correctly. Might have to look up the history on it, though.

Didn't they reunite at Great American Bash 1999 when, I think it was either Tank Abbott, or Scott Steiner who let loose a bunch of rottweilers on Sting?

An injury put the whole thing on hold?

I can't think of anything else. I remember Brian Adams jumped Rick with a bat and Rick disappeared for a couple months. When he came back, he wanted to fight Scott.

I know they reunited before that because Scott and Rick helped each other at Slamboree 99 (a terrible show).

I do remember that tag match at HH. The Giant did in fact do a missile dropkick. Also, Buff ran out during the singles match dressed as Bill Clinton (to which Tony Schiavone yelled "It's Bill Clinton!" in a serious tone). The NWO ref tried to cost Rick the match, but somehow Rick still won.

I know they reunited before that because Scott and Rick helped each other at Slamboree 99 (a terrible show).

Oh yeah, now I remember it.. the memory of that dog attack on Sting was what prompted that question. I obviously had my PPVs mixed up there.

I bought Slamboree 99 the night it happened. That Flair/Piper match was just awful. It's no wonder WCW started going down the tubes around that time. PPVs like Slamboree 99 and Great American Bash 99 helped send things downward.

Rick beat someone (I think it was Booker T) for the TV title, then helped Scott in his US Title match later in the night against Buff Bagwell.

I do remember that tag match at HH. The Giant did in fact do a missile dropkick. Also, Buff ran out during the singles match dressed as Bill Clinton (to which Tony Schiavone yelled "It's Bill Clinton!" in a serious tone). The NWO ref tried to cost Rick the match, but somehow Rick still won.

I remember this, too.

That was one crazy missile dropkick by the Giant. Just crazy. Watching a guy 7'2 and over 500 lbs doing a missile dropkick is both crazy and awesome. IIRC, The Giant ended up hitting Scott Steiner with that dropkick.

Buff ran out in the Clinton mask in the singles match, as you pointed out, he also hit the referee with the slapjack, then Scott tried to pin Rick and Buff counted with the ref's arm as he was knocked out. This happened several times, and Rick kicked out.

Rick hit Buff, Buff played hurt, then Rick hit Scott with a Steiner-Bulldog off the top-rope, then another referee come out, counted the fall and Rick won.

I have the chopped-up commercial version of this PPV that is missing several matches. The storyline heading in was a bit fuzzy to me.

Thanks for refreshing me on those events, even though it was painful.

I don't know why they butchered the VHS release. They cut Saturn/Lodi, Finley/Wright, and Wrath/Meng (which they actually mentioned later in the show). I don't think anyone misses those matches, but I always wondered why WCW cut some of their matches. Keep in mind, they did it to other shows too.

Yeah, I know....

They mention the Wrath/Meng match, and it's not even on the tape.

First time I heard that, when I watched that PPV for the first time, I was wondering where the hell the match was on the tape.

I think they butchered it because the show ran over time, the night it aired. I could be wrong.

Best is definately Souled Out 98. It's a wonder how overlooked this show is (by everyone except us, that is). I mean, that card could have been a Thunder, if you think about it. If i remember correctly there was close to zero build up to this one.