TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Just John

Best/Worst NWO era ppv

Simple question. What is the best or worst WCW ppv during the NWO era?

I defined NWO era as their formation at BATB 96 to Hall turning on Nash at Slamboree 98, but I'm lenient. I don't think anything post 98 would get many votes anyway.

My votes:

BEST

Uncensored 97

- Awesome opener: Eddie vs. Dean (No dq)

- Good cruiser action (Ultimo/Psychosis, Mysterio/Iaukea)

- Glacier vs. Mortis was surprisingly good

- Replay of the wrestlecraptacular Steiner car crash

- Unintentional comedy of Dusty Rhodes

- Fun main event

- Mark out moment with Sting returning

Halloween Havoc 97

- First 3 matches are as good as any string of matches I've seen (Ultimo/Nagata, Jericho/Gedo, Mysterio/Eddie)

- Flair vs. Hennig

- DDP vs. Savage (Last man standing)

- Decent main event considering who was involved

- Unintentionally hilarious ending

Worst:

WW3 96

- Outside of Ultimo vs Rey, this show had nothing.

- Jericho vs. Nick Patrick

- 2 boring tag matches

- Unexciting ME

BEST:

Superbrawl VIII

-Booker T vs Rick Martel, then Saturn...both excellent matches

-La Parka and Disco

-The match where Juvi loses the mask (a great match too)

-DDP vs Benoit (****+)

-Steiners FINALLY split

-Sting beats Hogan semi-convincingly

BEST:

Souled out 98

-great opening 8 man tag match and the after match stuff is cool.

-probably the last Steiner Screwdriver on WCW tv.

-Martel/Booker

-Raven/Benoit

-Jericho/Mysterio is ok when you consider the state of Mysterio's knee

-Nash/Giant isn't that bad.

-Bret and Flair have a match which should have been the main event.

Best:

1. Souled Out 98

2. Halloween Havoc 97

3. Superbrawl 98/Uncensored 97

Worst:

Road Wild 98 - Jay Leno main events and Goldberg gets put over the entire upper mid card.

Fall Brawl 98 - Uhhh Wargames and Warrior.

And the worst is:

Wiorld War 3 1998

I too have to vote Souled Out 98 for the best.

Not the worst, but excluding a great Raven / Jericho match and Goldberg's best match ever against DDP, Halloween Havoc 98 was fucking horrible.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Worst Blow-Off Wise:

Starrcade 97: Everything they should've done they fucked up. BIG TIME. I think the heels won every match but one before the main event, and even that was fucked up.

Halloween Havoc 98: Can someone say "Worst Dream Matches Ever"? Warrior/Hogan II Sucked, Sting/Bret was slow and boring, Nash/Hall sucked. Goldberg/DDP was the only match of the hyped 4 that was worth anything.

Fall Brawl 98: For the fact it produced the WORST WAR GAMES EVER, and the best match involved Silver King. Plus Bulldogs injury.

Best:

Halloween Havoc 97: Good show from top to bottom, and a minimal of crap.

nWo Souled Out: Sure, it ended up being stupid, but the idea was pretty cool when it happend and that gets points.

The thing that annoyed me about Starrcade 97 was the fact that they did rematches of about 90% of those matches in the month of January on Nitro and Thunder.2 Of the matches(Buff/Luger and Sting/Hogan) were on the Nitro the night after.

Fall Brawl 96 and 97 are both pretty damn good shows. The other good ones are shows people already mentioned.

And there is a LOT of crap.

Slamboree 97 (Benoit jobs to Meng, nWo vs. Piper, Flair and Greene)

All the WW3's apparently suck, but the only one I've seen in 1997.

How about Road Wild 98? Jay Leno in the main event?

BEST: Souled Out 1998. Like most people have said

WORST: Fall Brawl 1998

The Dancing Fools vs. British Bulldog & Jim Neidhart: Buldog injures his back

Chris Jericho vs. Fake Goldberg

Norman Smiley vs. Ernest Miller

Scott Steiner vs. Rick Steiner: Match called off because Buff fakes a neck injury

Juventud Guerrera vs. Silver King

Raven vs. Saturn: The Flock breaks up

Dean Malenko vs. Curt Hennig: Bullshit DQ ending, which features Hennig & Rude destroying Arn Anderson. Keep in mind that many people ordered this show just to see Ric Flair's return, and they held it off to the next night instead.

Scott Hall vs. Konnan: Hall is distracted by alcohol.

'Wargames': Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart & Stevie Ray vs. DDP, Roddy Piper & Ultimate Warrior vs. Kevin Nash, Sting & Lex Luger: Winner gets a shot at Goldberg, even though they are in teams. Warrior knocks everyone out with the mysterious smoke of DOOM, then DDP gets a quick win on Stevie Ray.

Terrible terrible show.

I thought Bulldog injured his back when he took a Scorpion Deathdrop on the trap door that Warrior used?

Nope.

It was an Alex Wright back bodydrop onto the trapdoor.

The PPV wasn't that bad, IMO. Aside from that lackluster main event and such crap like McMichael / Brian Adams, it featured a very excellent Jericho / Juventud match along with some nice Mysterio / Psichosis action. A very good Triple Threat between Raven, Saturn, and Kanyon. And a Battle Royal near the end just for the heck of it.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Just for the heck of it, this is MY Worst WCW PPV Ever: Great American Bash 99. I seriously can't think of a single match above **, plus the fact about 7 matches barely would make me watch Nitro and not a $30 PPV. Savage vs. Nash storyline was horrible, and included feces I think...and no, Russo wasn't in WCW yet.

I think the only good match was a Tag Title Match with Benoit/Partner vs. DDP/KAnyon or something. I haven't watched the show in months to care and remember.

How about Bash at the Beach from the month before, with Dennis Rodman in the main event? I know Rodman at least had one move, but still.... they're on about the same level.

Another one to mention: Starrcade 98

Just for the heck of it, this is MY Worst WCW PPV Ever: Great American Bash 99. I seriously can't think of a single match above **, plus the fact about 7 matches barely would make me watch Nitro and not a $30 PPV. Savage vs. Nash storyline was horrible, and included feces I think...and no, Russo wasn't in WCW yet.

I think the only good match was a Tag Title Match with Benoit/Partner vs. DDP/KAnyon or something. I haven't watched the show in months to care and remember.

And instead of Scott Norton vs. The Cat we had Horace Hogan as a replacement.

The WORST:

I thought Uncensored 1998 was pure ass. There was pretty much nothing redeeming about the event. When your main event just abruptly ends (Hogan-Savage in the cage) after a completely pointless and horrible 20 minute match, that says alot about the show. Hall and Sting for WCW title was just there, it didn't really entertain me and there was nothing notable about it other than Hall finally got his World War 3 shot. The triple threat match between Raven, DDP and benoit was the only match that was watchable, but watching it now it just doesen't seem as good as it was back then. Everything else was filler and nothing that you couldn't see for free on Nitro back then.

The BEST:

I thought Halloween Havoc from 1998 was probably my favorite event that I saw live. DDP-Goldberg was an entertaining match, Hogan-Warrior was pure comedy (hey we almost saw Warrior set on FIRE!) and the rest of the undercard was tolerable. And seeing as this was during WCW's crumbling period I didn't expect this show to be any good, but it was.

Another one to mention: Starrcade 98

Yeah, that was pretty awful, although the Triple Threat CW match was pretty good followed by an improptu Kidman / Guerrero match. Everything else was terrible although seeing Goldberg get fucked out of the WCW title was the greatest thing to see happen for me as a former WCW fan. :D

Yeah, but that was pretty awful, although the Triple Threat CW match was pretty good followed by an improptu Kidman / Guerrero match. Everything else was terrible although seeing Goldberg get fucked out of the WCW title was the greatest thing to see happen for me as a former WCW fan. :D

I was mentioning Starrcade 98 as one of the "worst" nWo era PPVs. Sorry for the lack of specification.

I agree, the Triangle Cruiserweight match, and the impromptu match after was great stuff.

After that, it all slides downhill faster than Beavis getting pushed down the hill in the tire.

Weren't a few people pulled from that card for some reason?

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
The BEST:

I thought Halloween Havoc from 1998 was probably my favorite event that I saw live. DDP-Goldberg was an entertaining match, Hogan-Warrior was pure comedy (hey we almost saw Warrior set on FIRE!) and the rest of the undercard was tolerable. And seeing as this was during WCW's crumbling period I didn't expect this show to be any good, but it was.

Well then when people list it as one of the worst 5 or 10 WCW PPV's of all time, I can say "hey, the PPV ruled! Hogan/Warrior put on a shitty 15:00 suckfest and we almost saw Warrior set on fire!"

I felt Starrcade 97 overall wasn't so bad (3 good matches, 1 decent, 1 okay) and was a hell of a lot better than 98.

Guest Askewniverse
I felt Starrcade 97 overall wasn't so bad (3 good matches, 1 decent, 1 okay) and was a hell of a lot better than 98.

Which matches did you think were the 3 good matches, 1 decent match, and 1 okay match?

Good:

Malenko / Guerrero

Benoit / Saturn

Page / Hennig

Decent:

Hogan / Sting - The finish really took it down some notches

Okay:

Bagwell over Luger nuff said. :D

The PPV wasn't that bad, IMO. Aside from that lackluster main event and such crap like McMichael / Brian Adams, it featured a very excellent Jericho / Juventud match along with some nice Mysterio / Psichosis action. A very good Triple Threat between Raven, Saturn, and Kanyon. And a Battle Royal near the end just for the heck of it.

For whatever the reason, Rey & Psy were *not* feeling it on that occasion. Definetely the worst, most boring match I've seen those two have.

Really wicked finish though.

Am I the only big time Roddy Piper mark here that absolutely ate up everything involving him and Hogan from WW3 '96 to Starrcade of that same year? I *loved* that shit. I also really enjoyed their Age in the Cage match at Halloween Havoc as well.

WCW was selling shit and I was buying.

UYI

Guest Askewniverse
Good:

Malenko / Guerrero

Benoit / Saturn

Page / Hennig

Decent:

Hogan / Sting - The finish really took it down some notches

Okay:

Bagwell over Luger nuff said.  :D

Deon, care to explain why you thought those matches were good, decent, and okay? Maybe I'm too cynical, but I didn't like any of the matches that you mentioned. Personally, I thought Starrcade 1997 sucked.

Guerrero-Malenko was extremely disappointing. The match was rather boring due to the stalling and restholds. I'd say the match was "okay" at best.

Saturn-Benoit was pretty bad for a Benoit match. Saturn relied on a lot of restholds which never went anywhere. Add in the constant interference by The Flock and you've got one of Benoit's worst PPV matches.

DDP-Hennig was another boring match. Page and Hennig seemed to be phoning it in, as the match never really clicked. The crowd was pretty much dead during the match. The crowd's only real reaction came when Page won the match.

Sting-Hogan was awful. Not that I was expecting a classic, but the match was far worse than I thought it would be. For no logical reason, Hogan dominated the match. With the way that the match was built-up, there's no way that Hogan should have gotten in that much offense, let alone dominate the match. To make matters worse, Hogan basically got a clean win over Sting. The whole "fast count" angle was one of WCW's worst ideas. In my opinion, the angle killed Sting's mystique. This match should have cemented Sting as WCW's top face and finally brought the NWO angle to an end. Neither of those things happened. In my opinion, this match was the beginning of the end for WCW.

I honestly don't understand how you can say Bagwell-Luger was okay. Bagwell's offense for the match consisted of kicks and chinlocks.

When your main event just abruptly ends (Hogan-Savage in the cage) after a completely pointless and horrible 20 minute match, that says alot about the show.

That brings up this question: How exactly was the Savage/Hogan cage match supposed to end? I know the match sucked, but the ending never really made sense.

Can someone explain this?