TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB All-Star Balloting Begins

It's Tuesday...you know the drill. I left Troy Glaus off since he obviously won't be playing the All-Star game now.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

C: JORGE POSADA, New York; Ivan Rodriguez, Detroit; Javy Lopez*, Baltimore

1B: TINO MARTINEZ*, Tampa Bay; Jason Giambi, New York

2B: RON BELLIARD, Cleveland; Alfonso Soriano, Texas

3B: MELVIN MORA, Baltimore; Hank Blalock, Texas

SS: MICHAEL YOUNG, Texas; Miguel Tejada*, Baltimore

OF: MANNY RAMIREZ, Cleveland; VLADIMIR GUERRERO, Anaheim; CARLOS BELTRAN, Kansas City; Jose Guillen, Anaheim; Magglio Ordonez*, Chicago; Lew Ford*, Minnesota; Rondell White, Detroit

Pitchers: KEVIN BROWN, New York; Cliff Lee*, Cleveland; Curt Schilling, Boston; Tim Hudson, Oakland; Kenny Rogers, Texas; Freddy Garcia, Seattle; C.C. Sabathia, Cleveland; Roy Halladay, Toronto; Pedro Martinez, Boston; Mariano Rivera, New York; Joe Nathan, Minnesota; Keith Foulke, Boston

NATIONAL LEAGUE

C: JOHNNY ESTRADA, Atlanta; Mike Piazza, New York

1B: CRAIG WILSON*, Pittsburgh; Jim Thome, Philadelphia; Lyle Overbay, Milwaukee

2B: TODD WALKER*, Chicago; Jeff Kent, Houston

3B: MIKE LOWELL, Florida; Vinny Castilla*, Colorado; Scott Rolen, St. Louis

SS: JACK WILSON, Pittsburgh; Royce Clayton*, Colorado

OF: BARRY BONDS, San Francisco; ADAM Dunn, Cincinnati; BOBBY ABREU*, Philadelphia; Jeromy Burnitz*, Colorado; J.D. Drew*, Atlanta; Luis Gonzalez, Arizona

Pitchers: ROGER CLEMENS, Houston; Carlos Zambrano, Chicago; Brad Penny, Florida; Jake Peavy, San Diego; Matt Clement, Chicago; Livan Hernandez, Montreal; Kerry Wood, Chicago; Tom Glavine*, New York; Ben Sheets*, Milwaukee; Armando Benitez, Florida; Eric Gagne, Los Angeles; Billy Wagner, Philadelphia

1B: TINO MARTINEZ*, Tampa Bay; Jason Giambi, New York

Giambi over Tino. Giambi has the edge in OBP and Slugging.

2B: RON BELLIARD, Cleveland; Alfonso Soriano, Texas

Orlando Hudson for backup. Not only is he hitting better, he is a far superior fielder.

A-Rod deserves a spot when you consider park factors. Plus his OBP is 24 points higher.

3B: MIKE LOWELL, Florida; Vinny Castilla*, Colorado; Scott Rolen, St. Louis

Park Factors again. Beltre over Castilla.

Again not taking park factors into account because I don't expect the players will. The backwards thinking of former players like Joe Morgan, Harold Reynolds, and John Kruk makes me think there are probably plenty of active players who think the same way. Because of that I give batting average and rbi a lot more consideration than they deserve. A-Rod will be on there eventually once the first voting results are out and at that point I'll just be picking reserves and pitchers.

The backwards thinking of former players like Joe Morgan, Harold Reynolds, and John Kruk makes me think there are probably plenty of active players who think the same way.

In fairness, Joe Morgan is more savvy than he usually indicates. He stated in a recent broadcast that he reads Bill James' work and agrees with most of it. With the BBTN crew, I have to believe they are actively encouraged to stir the pot. Besides, I doubt their really looking into OPS or anything of the like. I bet players are more likely to vote for A-Rod over Melvin Mora, regardless of the statistics.

The backwards thinking of former players like Joe Morgan, Harold Reynolds, and John Kruk makes me think there are probably plenty of active players who think the same way.

In fairness, Joe Morgan is more savvy than he usually indicates. He stated in a recent broadcast that he reads Bill James' work and agrees with most of it. With the BBTN crew, I have to believe they are actively encouraged to stir the pot. Besides, I doubt their really looking into OPS or anything of the like. I bet players are more likely to vote for A-Rod over Melvin Mora, regardless of the statistics.

Guest OctoberBlood

Still no Looper love? He's been the best closer, or hell, best relief pitcher in the game so far.

I'd have to look it up but I think with the player voting now they require a certain number of relievers to make the team. Probalby why you got Mike Williams and Lance Carter being chosen as their team's reps last year over Brian Giles and Aubrey Huff respectively. I pick three because you have two to pitch the 8th and 9th and then one left over to pitch in extra innings if necessary.

Honestly hadn't even noticed Looper until you mentioned him because he wasn't even in the Top 10 in the N.L. in saves, not that it's his fault. The N.L. is loaded at closer right now, in fact the N.L. is loaded at a lot of positions. Let's face it save totals get a lot of consideration so Danny Graves will probably end up making the team if he continues to the lead the Majors in that category.

Guest OctoberBlood

Graves may lead the league in saves, but he also leads the league in blown saves.

The guy sucks. Way overrated, and so is that stat. Fuck saves.

Sorry, just severely pissed off right now.

I'd have to look it up but I think with the player voting now they require a certain number of relievers to make the team. Probalby why you got Mike Williams and Lance Carter being chosen as their team's reps last year over Brian Giles and Aubrey Huff respectively. I pick three because you have two to pitch the 8th and 9th and then one left over to pitch in extra innings if necessary.

There's no set rule. Carter was chosen because they needed a pitcher. Mike Williams was the result of some kind of drunken binge.

Honestly hadn't even noticed Looper until you mentioned him because he wasn't even in the Top 10 in the N.L. in saves, not that it's his fault. The N.L. is loaded at closer right now, in fact the N.L. is loaded at a lot of positions. Let's face it save totals get a lot of consideration so Danny Graves will probably end up making the team if he continues to the lead the Majors in that category.

Fuck saves. They should be abolished as an official stat.

New picks for this week.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

C: JORGE POSADA, New York; Ivan Rodriguez, Detroit

1B: TINO MARTINEZ, Tampa Bay; Jason Giambi, New York; Frank Thomas*, Chicago

2B: JUAN URIBE*, Chicago; Alfonso Soriano, Texas

SS: MICHAEL YOUNG, Texas; Carlos Guillen*, Detroit

OF: MANNY RAMRIEZ, Boston; VLADIMIR GUERRERO, Anaheim; JOSE GUILLEN, Anaheim; Magglio Ordonez, Chicago; Carlos Beltran, Kansas City; Rondell White, Detroit; Frank Catalanotto*, Toronto

Pitchers: CURT SCHILLING, Boston; Cliff Lee, Cleveland; Tim Hudson, Oakland; Mark Mulder*, Oakland; Kevin Brown, New York; Kenny Rogers, Texas; C.C. Sabathia, Cleveland; Freddy Garcia, Seattle; Brad Radke*, Minnesota; Mariano Rivera, New York; Joe Nathan, Minnesota; Keith Foulke, Boston

NATIONAL LEAGUE

C: MIKE PIAZZA, New York; Johnny Estrada, Atlanta

1B: CRAIG WILSON, Pittsburgh; Jim Thome, Philadelphia; Lyle Overbay, Milwaukee; Sean Casey*, Cincinnati

2B: JEFF KENT, Houston; Mark Loretta*, San Diego

3B: MIKE LOWELL, Florida; Scott Rolen, St. Louis

SS: JACK WILSON, Pittsburgh; Royce Clayton, Colorado

OF: LANCE BERKMAN, Houston; BARRY BONDS, San Francisco; JEROMY BURNITZ, Colorado; Bobby Abreu, Philadelphia; Adam Dunn, Cincinnati; Pat Burrell*, Philadelphia

Pitchers: ROGER CLEMENS, Houston; Brad Penny, Florida; Carlos Zambrano, Chicago; Tom Glavine, New York; Randy Johnson*, Arizona; Jake Peavy, San Diego; Matt Clement, Chicago; Ben Sheets, Milwaukee; Livan Hernandez, Montreal; Armando Benitez, Florida; Jose Mesa*, Pittsburgh; Eric Gagne, Los Angeles

Dont' forget when it comes to N.L. pitching, Jack McKeon is choosing the staff.

Pencil in Penny, Beckett and Benitez automatically.

Guest Choken One

I'd like to think Jack would give some love to his old reds players like Graves, Casey

Guest OctoberBlood

You better include Sean Casey biotch.

Oh, and Larkin .. c'mon! Last year. :)

I don't have all the reserves, but here's the starters that I just voted for on MLB.com.

American League

C: Ivan Rodriguez- Detroit

1B: Frank Thomas- Chicago

2B: Brian Roberts- Baltimore (Had to write him in though; they had Hairston on the ballot instead, even though he's been DHing, and Roberts is the everyday second baseman.)

3B: Melvin Mora- Baltimore

SS: Michael Young- Texas

OF: Carlos Beltran- Kansas City

OF: Vladimir Guerrero- Anaheim

OF: Manny Ramirez- Boston

National League

C: Mike Piazza- New York

1B: Albert Pujols- St. Louis

2B: Jeff Kent- Houston

3B: Vinny Castilla- Colorado

SS: Jack Wilson- Pittsburgh

OF: Barry Bonds- San Francisco

OF: Lance Berkman- Houston

OF: Bobby Abreu- Philadelphia

Actually, come to think of it. I probably should have put Rolen over Castilla since he's not playing in Coors, and he has the major league lead in RBIs, but what can you do.

You should put Burrell over Abreu, too (IMO).

No way. Abreu's got a MUCH better track record, and is 10 for 10 in steal attempts. I want to see Burrell do this over a full season before he gets an All-Star nod. Abreu's been screwed far too long.

While I'm at it, for pitchers I'd say:

National League

Starter:

Randy Johnson

Other starters on team:

Roger Clemens

Brad Penny

Tom Glavine

Ben Sheets

Jason Schmidt

Closers:

Armando Benitez

Eric Gagne

Danny Kolb

American League

Starter:

Curt Schilling

Other starters on team:

Kenny Rogers

Mark Mulder

Cliff Lee

Tim Hudson

Token middle reliever:

Francisco Rodriguez

Closers:

Mariano Rivera

Keith Foulke

Joe Nathan

I thought they said only the A.L. voting would be out today but the N.L. was out as well. Everyone start stuffing for Tejada or Young at shortstop (oh and Carlos Guillen) in the A.L. Astros fans are stuffing the ballots in full force which kinda had to be expected.

Catcher

Player Name Team Total Votes

1. Rodriguez, I. Tigers 516,332

2. Posada, J. Yankees 343,255

3. Varitek, J. Red Sox 337,574

4. Lopez, J. Orioles 237,548

5. Molina, B. Angels 94,021

1st Base

1. Giambi, J. Yankees 376,307

2. Delgado, C. Blue Jays 211,209

3. Millar, K. Red Sox 200,234

4. Palmeiro, R. Orioles 165,674

5. Teixeira, M. Rangers 146,190

2nd Base

1. Soriano, A. Rangers 729,949

2. Reese, P. Red Sox 276,726

3. Boone, B. Mariners 262,789

4. Kennedy, A. Angels 117,501

5. Belliard, R. Indians 99,185

Shortstop

1. Garciaparra, N. Red Sox 412,742

2. Jeter, D. Yankees 396,268

3. Tejada, M. Orioles 299,517

4. Young, M. Rangers 292,763

5. Eckstein, D. Angels 95,450

3rd Base

1. Rodriguez, A. Yankees 558,880

2. Mueller, B. Red Sox 288,955

3. Blalock, H. Rangers 256,205

4. Glaus, T. Angels 220,186

5. Chavez, E. Athletics 179,598

Outfield

1. Guerrero, V. Angels 637,515

2. Ramirez, M. Red Sox 626,272

3. Damon, J. Red Sox 360,755

4. Sheffield, G. Yankees 344,059

5. Suzuki, I. Mariners 310,725

6. Beltran, C. Royals 310,206

7. Matsui, H. Yankees 283,583

8. Ordoñez, M. White Sox 242,916

9. Anderson, G. Angels 203,473

10. Williams, B. Yankees 201,305

Catcher

1. Piazza, M. Mets 500,446

2. Ausmus, B. Astros 302,090

3. Lo Duca, P. Dodgers 236,067

4. Barrett, M. Cubs 198,435

5. Estrada, J. Braves 119,969

1st Base

1. Pujols, A. Cardinals 449,708

2. Bagwell, J. Astros 442,247

3. Lee, D. Cubs 197,058

4. Thome, J. Phillies 176,487

5. Casey, S. Reds 133,085

2nd Base

1. Kent, J. Astros 500,876

2. Giles, M. Braves 238,412

3. Castillo, L. Marlins 189,476

4. Grudzielanek, M. Cubs 169,951

5. Alomar, R. Diamondbacks 146,412

Shortstop

1. Everett, A. Astros 302,310

2. Renteria, E. Cardinals 297,291

3. Matsui, K. Mets 217,749

4. Gonzalez, A. Cubs 200,053

5. Furcal, R. Braves 173,458

3rd Base

1. Rolen, S. Cardinals 461,194

2. Ramirez, A. Cubs 298,443

3. Ensberg, M. Astros 225,255

4. Lowell, M. Marlins 224,946

5. Beltre, A. Dodgers 196,811

Outfield

1. Bonds, B. Giants 647,183

2. Sosa, S. Cubs 586,479

3. Griffey Jr., K. Reds 364,997

4. Biggio, C. Astros 364,546

5. Berkman, L. Astros 345,225

6. Alou, M. Cubs 330,300

7. Hidalgo, R. Astros 315,568

8. Cabrera, M. Marlins 224,528

9. Edmonds, J. Cardinals 216,172

10. Jones, A. Braves 181,862

New picks for this week. Since the voting is out now no point in picking the entire roster, so I'll list the current vote leaders as starters and just pick the reserves and pitchers. Going to be quite a few more snubs now.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

C: IVAN RODRIGUEZ, Detroit; Jorge Posada, New York

1B: JASON GIAMBI, New York; Ken Harvey*, Kansas City; Tino Martinez, Tampa Bay

2B: ALFONSO SORIANO, Texas; Juan Uribe, Chicago

3B: ALEX RODRIGUEZ*, New York; Melvin Mora, Baltimore

SS: NOMAR GARCIAPARRA*, Boston; Carlos Guillen, Detroit

OF: MANNY RAMIREZ, Boston; VLADIMIR GUERRERO, Anaheim; JOHNNY DAMON*, Boston; Jose Guillen, Anaheim; Hideki Matsui*, New York; Rondell White, Detroit; Travis Hafner*, Cleveland

Pitchers: CURT SCHILLING, Boston; Cliff Lee, Cleveland; Kenny Rogers, Texas; Mark Mulder, Oakland; Tim Hudson, Oakland; Mark Buehrle*, Chicago; Brad Radke, Minnesota; Roy Halladay*, Toronto; Freddy Garcia, Seattle; Mariano Rivera, New York; Keith Foulke, Boston; Eddie Guardado*, Seattle

NATIONAL LEAGUE

C: MIKE PIAZZA, New York; Johnny Estrada, Atlanta

1B: ALBERT PUJOLS*, St. Louis; Sean Casey, Cincinnati; Jim Thome, Philadelphia

2B: JEFF KENT, Houston; Mark Loretta, San Diego

3B: SCOTT ROLEN, St. Louis; Mike Lowell, Florida

SS: ADAM EVERETT*, Houston; Jack Wilson, Pittsburgh

OF: BARRY BONDS, San Francisco; SAMMY SOSA*, Chicago; KEN GRIFFEY JR.*, Cincinnati; Lance Berkman, Houston; Craig Wilson, Pittsburgh; Jeromy Burntiz, Colorado; Pat Burrell, Philadelphia

Pitchers: ROGER CLEMENS, Houston; Randy Johnson, Arizona; Jake Peavy, San Diego; Carlos Zambrano, Chicago; Brad Penny, Florida; Ben Sheets, Milwaukee; Jason Schmidt*, San Francisco; Tom Glavine, New York; Livan Hernandez, Montreal; Armando Benitez, Florida; Eric Gagne, Los Angeles; Jose Mesa, Pittsburgh

Guest FrigidSoul

Its funny how Nomar leads for AL SS when he hasn't even played a game this season. People must have been damn impressed with his work off the tees and his ABs in Pawtucket.