TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB All-Star Balloting Begins

Logged on to MLB.com, and they've started running All-Star balloting, just three weeks into the season. I don't think I'm the only person who thinks this is ridiculously early.

I know you all make your All-Star selections based on current performance. I ask you take sample size into account when you are making your selections. Just because Johnny Wiffleton is hitting .350 with 0 walks does not make him an All-Star. Generally when I'm making selections, I take this year's stats and combine them with last year's stats. Otherwise, you get truly ridiculous All-Star selections in retrospect.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

so you're saying my Jose Offerman vote was premature?

Oh what the hell, here are YOUR 15 games into the season All-Stars.

American League

C: Javy Lopez, Baltimore

1B: Mike Sweeney, Kansas City

2B: Ronnie Belliard, Cleveland

3B: Hank Blalock, Texas

SS: Michael Young, Texas

OF: Carlos Beltran, Kansas City; Jermaine Dye, Oakland; Matt Lawton, Cleveland

National League

C: Michael Barrett, Chicago

1B: Jeff Bagwell, Houston

2B: Marcus Giles, Atlanta

3B: Scott Rolen, St. Louis

SS: Jack Wilson, Pittsburgh

OF: Barry Bonds, San Francisco; Adam Dunn, Cincinnati; Moises Alou, Chicago

Guest FrigidSoul

The Yankees announced today that they traded Jorge DePaula and cash considerations for Johnny Wiffleton

I'm Bored so might as well start my weekly All-Star picks like I did last season. Of course none of this means anything this early in the season. Starters are in CAPS.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

C: JORGE POSADA, New York; Javy Lopez, Baltimore; Henry Blanco, Minnesota

1B: MIKE SWEENEY, Kansas City; Rafael Palmeiro, Baltimore

2B: RONNIE BELLIARD, Cleveland; Alfonso Soriano, Texas

3B: TROY GLAUS, Anaheim; Hank Blalock, Texas

SS: MICHAEL YOUNG, Texas; Miguel Tejada, Baltimore

OF: CARLOS BELTRAN, Kansas City; MANNY RAMIREZ, Boston; JERMAINE DYE, Oakland; Laynce Nix, Texas; Vladimir Guerrero, Anaheim; Magglio Ordonez, Chicago; Rondell White, Detroit

Pitchers: KEVIN BROWN, New York; Tim Hudson, Oakland; Bartolo Colon, Anaheim; Pedro Martinez, Boston; Esteban Loaiza, Chicago; Mark Mulder, Oakland; Paul Abbott, Tampa Bay; Freddy Garcia, Seattle; Roy Halladay, Toronto; Arthur Rhodes, Oakland; Mariano Rivera, New York; Keith Foulke, Boston

Lunch is over so I'll do the N.L. later.

NATIONAL LEAGUE

C: PAUL LO DUCA, Los Angeles; Jason Kendall, Pittsburgh

1B: SEAN CASEY, Cincinnati; Craig Wilson, Pittsburgh; Albert Pujols, St. Louis

2B: MARK LORETTA, San Diego; Marcus Giles, Atlanta

3B: SCOTT ROLEN, St. Louis; Adrian Beltre, Los Angeles

SS: JACK WILSON, Pittsburgh; Kazuo Matsui, New York

OF: BARRY BONDS, San Francisco; ADAM DUNN, Cincinnati; MOISES ALOU, Chicago; Richard Hidalgo, Houston; Reggie Sanders, St. Louis; Danny Bautista, Arizona; Scott Podsednik, Milwaukee

Pitchers: DONTRELLE WILLIS, Florida; Roger Clemens, Houston; Roy Oswalt, Houston; Kerry Wood, Chicago; Matt Clement, Chicago; Oliver Perez, Pittsburgh; Brad Penny, Florida; Joe Kennedy, Colorado; Zach Day, Montreal; Armando Benitez, Florida; Jose Mesa, Pittsburgh; Billy Wagner, Philadelphia

I wouldn't put a third of those guys on the team no matter how good they are playing. I know the All-Star game isn't a career appreciation day, but by the same token, 100-200 at bats does not make you an all-star. All-Stars should be ESTABLISHED big league players.

Of course none of this means anything this early in the season.

Damnit Al, read!

I disagree though, I don't think anyone should make the team just based on their past. Maybe if it's a toss up between two players put the more established guy on the team. Doesn't really come into play now though since the players started voting on this last year.

Damnit Al, read!

I disagree though, I don't think anyone should make the team just based on their past. Maybe if it's a toss up between two players put the more established guy on the team. Doesn't really come into play now though since the players started voting on this last year.

This is misunderstood all the time. I am NOT arguing that players should get voted on based on their past. They should get voted on based on their current level of ability. The problem is, you can NOT measure that based on a single month of play. Would you trade Edgar Renteria for Jack Wilson, straight up? If not, then why should Wilson start above Renteria in an All-Star game?

Guest OctoberBlood

No one is saying that you should base judgement after one month.

As much as I agree that it is early, and was surprised myself, it's not like it matters. Undeserving guys make it moreso than the ones that truly belong there.

I like Steve Francis, however, this season, at All-Star break, he didn't really deserve to be there and if the fans hadn't have voted him in, he probably wouldn't have been. His fellow guard teammate Cuttino Mobley was having a better season than him at that point.

Guys like Nomar, I like, but I won't vote for him because he's also missed a great chunk. I think the guys who are playing night in and night out should be making these teams, instead of getting in the popular guy who will play the game and then disappear to the DL again, it lessens the honor.

Hey look kids a week has past so time to update the All-Star selections. Like I said last week at this point in the season this means nothing, so who cares if Jack Wilson is listed now? Starters are in CAPS. Players with an asterisk next to them were not listed last week.

One other note I do take into otherwise overrated statistics such as batting average and win-loss record into consideration since they are still treated like important statistics. The player's vote now but the way they picked last year didn't seem to indicate they are any different from the manager choosing the reserves in past years. Blame the system, not me! ;)

AMERICAN LEAGUE

C: JORGE POSADA, New York; Ivan Rodriguez*, Detroit; Jason Varitek*, Boston

1B: JASON GIAMBI*, New York; Rafael Palmeiro, Baltimore

2B: RON BELLIARD, Cleveland; Alfonso Soriano, Texas

3B: TROY GLAUS, Anaheim; Hank Blalock, Texas

SS: MICHAEL YOUNG, Texas; Juan Uribe*, Chicago

OF: CARLOS BELTRAN, Kansas City; MANNY RAMIREZ, Boston; JERMAINE DYE, Oakland; Vladimir Guerrero, Anaheim; Rondell White, Detroit; Lew Ford*, Minnesota; Carl Crawford*, Tampa Bay

Pitchers: KEVIN BROWN, New York; Curt Schilling, Boston; Javier Vazquez*, New York; Mark Mulder, Oakland; Tim Hudson, Oakland; Freddy Garcia, Seattle; Kenny Rogers*, Texas; C.C. Sabathia*, Cleveland; Roy Halladay, Toronto; Mariano Rivera, New York; Keith Foulke, Boston; Francisco Cordero*, Texas

NATIONAL LEAGUE

C: PAUL LO DUCA, Los Angeles; Johnny Estrada*, Atlanta

1B: CRAIG WILSON, Pittsburgh; Jim Thome*, Philadelphia; Hee Seop Choi*, Florida

2B: MARCUS GILES, Atlanta; Mark Loretta, San Diego

3B: VINNY CASTILLA*, Colorado; Adrian Beltre, Los Angeles; Scott Rolen, St. Louis

SS: JACK WILSON, Pittsburgh; Edgar Renteria*, St. Louis

OF: BARRY BONDS, San Francisco; ADAM DUNN, Cincinnati; MOISES ALOU, Chicago; Richard Hidalgo, Houston; Lance Berkman*, Houston; Danny Bautista, Arizona

Pitchers: ROGER CLEMENS, Houston; Matt Clement, Chicago; Jake Peavy*, San Diego; Kerry Wood, Chicago; Tom Glavine*, New York; Joe Kennedy, Colorado; Brad Penny, Florida; Ben Sheets*, Milwaukee; Livan Hernandez*, Montreal; Armando Benitez, Florida; Billy Wagner, Philadelphia; Jose Mesa, Pittsburgh

Guest OctoberBlood

Sean Casey has been the best first basemen in the national league so far this year (18.7 VORP).

3B: VINNY CASTILLA*, Colorado; Adrian Beltre, Los Angeles; Scott Rolen, St. Louis

When you take Coors Field and Dodger Stadium into account, Beltre beats out Castilla.

Damn, that thing is easy to cheat on. I just go onto my school account and pick one of the 15,000 email addresses. I have my computer set up to automatically run each email 25 times. So far I have voted for the reds starting 8 over 150 times. If I get bored I might try to stack the ballot.

Sean Casey has been the best first basemen in the national league so far this year (18.7 VORP).

First base in the N.L. is just loaded at the moment with six players with an OPS over 1.000 and Albert Pujols isn't one of them (.992). Tough position to crack at this point.

When you take Coors Field and Dodger Stadium into account, Beltre beats out Castilla.

Ya I know but when the player's are voting on this I doubt they'll be putting park factors into consideration. I seriously doubt Castilla will keep this up.

First base in the N.L. is just loaded at the moment with six players with an OPS over 1.000 and Albert Pujols isn't one of them (.992). Tough position to crack at this point.

I know I'm going to get accused of being a homer, but I think Thome tops the list right now. He leads in OPS and slugging.

Ya I know but when the player's are voting on this I doubt they'll be putting park factors into consideration. I seriously doubt Castilla will keep this up.

If its for a starter, its up to the fans. I doubt players study even the basic statistics, so they'd take Lowell or Rolen. So would I actually.

Speaking of the fan voting might as well take an early guess as to who will be voted the starters since it's usually always established players who get voted.

A.L.

Catcher: Jorge Posada. He's been voted the starter the last two years but he does have stiffer competition with Pudge back in the A.L. and Javy Lopez, who was voted starter in the N.L. last year, to contend with.

First Base: Jason Giambi. Beat by a late surge by Delgado last year as Delgado's numbers were vastly superior to Giambi's at the break so the fans pushed Delgado ahead. Unless Delgado and the Jays turn it around don't see him beating out Giambi this time and there are no other first baseman who have a legit chance.

Second Base: Alfonso Soriano. Out of New York now so could be a bit tougher but only really has Bret Boone to contend with.

Third Base: Alex Rodriguez. Really be shocker if he isn't voted the starter even with the slow start. Troy Glaus and Eric Chavez will get votes but not nearly enough to beat out A-Rod.

Shortstop: Derek Jeter. A-Rod now gives up the position. Red Sox fans always have voted in full force for Nomar in the past but with him injured it will likely hurt his vote total thus leaving it open for Jeter although wouldn't be shocked if Nomar beats him out.

Outfield: Ichiro Suzuki, Manny Ramirez, Hideki Matsui. The completely unfair Japanese internet vote will of course put Suzuki and Matsui in the game almost no matter what. Ramirez has been voted a starter five straight years but new A.L. outfielders Gary Sheffield and Vladimir Guerrero could make it interesting. There could be a ground swell for Carlos Beltran though as he receives more national attention with trade rumors and maybe he could knock Matsui out but still a long shot.

N.L.

Catcher: Mike Piazza. I was thinking maybe Lo Duca or Kendall here but surprisingly neither even finished in the Top 5 last year. Lopez and Pudge are gone thus Piazza can reclaim the starting spot even though he's playing some first now but not like fans pay attention.

First Base: Albert Pujols. He was the leading vote getter last year and he'll probably nail down the first base vote for years to come even though it's a loaded position at the moment. Todd Helton, Jeff Bagwell (since it's Houston I'm sure Astros fans will try their hardest to get him in), and Jim Thome will all probably get good support but not enough.

Second Base: Marcus Giles. He was the rare unestablished player going into the season to be voted a starter and probably will be again this year. The Houston vote will give Jeff Kent a shot.

Third Base: Scott Rolen. He beat out 2nd place Mike Lowell by over 1 million votes last year. Ya I'd say he's the safe bet here.

Shortstop: Kazuo Matsui. Again the unfair Japanese internet vote puts him in most likely. Renteria will make it interesting until the final internet tally.

Outfield: Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Jim Edmonds. Bonds is a no brainer obviously. Sosa was hurt last year by the corked bat incident but will probably be back as a starter this year. The final slot will be interesting but I gave it to Edmonds since he always gets strong vote totals but the Jones' in Atlanta also could get the final slot. Lance Berkman and Richard Hidalgo will get a lot of support from Astros fans with the game in Houston. I wouldn't be surprised if Adam Dunn gets a lot support especially if he stays hot.

All Star Selections Under My System......

AL

Jorge Posada

Jason Giambi

Alfonso Soriano

Nomar Garciaparra

Eric Chavez

Manny Ramirez

Gary Sheffield

Carlos Beltran

NL

Mike Piazza

Albert Pujols

Marcus Giles

Edgar Renteria

Scott Rolen

Bobby Abreu

Barry Bonds

Andruw Jones

Here's a thought. With a 6-0 record, its likely Roger Clemens will start for the NL team, especially since its in Houston. The fans will no doubt vote Mike Piazza in at catcher. Meaning, we'll witness a Clemens/Piazza battery.

Here's a thought.  With a 6-0 record, its likely Roger Clemens will start for the NL team, especially since its in Houston.  The fans will no doubt vote Mike Piazza in at catcher.  Meaning, we'll witness a Clemens/Piazza battery.

Which could lead to literally, a Piazza/Clemens battery. eh hem...

It's Tuesday, so new All-Star picks. Players not listed last week have an asterisk next to them.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

C: JORGE POSADA, New York; Ivan Rodriguez, Detroit; Jason Varitek, Boston

1B: JASON GIAMBI, New York; Rafael Palmeiro, Baltimore

2B: RON BELLIARD, Cleveland; Alfonso Soriano, Texas

3B: TROY GLAUS, Anaheim; Hank Blalock, Texas; Melvin Mora*, Baltimore

SS: MICHAEL YOUNG, Texas; Juan Uribe, Chicago

OF: MANNY RAMIREZ, Boston; CARLOS BELTRAN, Kansas City; VLADIMIR GUERRERO, Anaheim; Jose Guillen*, Anaheim; Rondell White, Detroit; Carl Crawford, Tampay Bay

Pitchers: KEVIN BROWN, New York; Curt Schilling, Boston; Freddy Garcia, Seattle; Tim Hudson, Oakland; Carlos Sliva*, Minnesota; Kenny Rogers, Texas; Roy Halladay, Toronto; C.C. Sabathia, Cleveland; Pedro Martinez*, Boston; Mariano Rivera, New York; Keith Foulke, Boston; Joe Nathan*, Minnesota

NATIONAL LEAGUE

C: JOHNNY ESTRADA, Atlanta; Mike Piazza*, New York

1B: JIM THOME, Philadelphia; Lyle Overbay*, Milwaukee; Todd Helton*, Colorado

2B: JEFF KENT*, Houston; Mark Loretta, San Diego

3B: ADRIAN BELTRE, Los Angeles; Scott Rolen, St. Louis; Mike Lowell*, Florida

SS: JACK WILSON, Pittsburgh; Khalil Greene*, San Diego

OF: BARRY BONDS, San Francisco; ADAM DUNN, Cincinnati; MIGUEL CABRERA*, Florida; Luis Gonzalez*, Arizona; Moises Alou, Chicago; Lance Berkman, Houston

Pitchers: ROGER CLEMENS, Houston; Joe Kennedy, Colorado; Brad Penny, Florida; Matt Clement, Chicago; Carlos Zambrano*, Chicago; Kerry Wood, Chicago; Jake Peavy, San Diego; Livan Hernandez, Montreal; Al Leiter*, New York; Armando Benitez, Florida; Eric Gagne*, Los Angeles; Billy Wagner, Philadelphia