TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wrestlingbs

List your favorite series' finales

Guest wrestlingbs

With the end coming for Angel, Friends, and Frasier I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread devoted to how shows have ended.

For me, one of my favorite endings has always been the end to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. The show was in it's seventh season and by then had lost all of it's mainstream appeal, but I think it was a much deeper sendoff than the other Star Trek shows.

:lol: Alright, 1000th post! :lol:

I'd say Voyager and DS9 are tied for second in the ST finale race. I liked TNG's finale much more, and the final scene with them all playing poker I really enjoyed. Ds9 just got weird with Sisko becoming a prophet (or something similar) and Obrien leaving for earth. I liked the Odo thing, and the end of the war was lame, but I still liked that as well. Voyagers was able to do the "this is them home" and "this is them coming home" pretty well, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted. The Borg Queen is never good outside First Contact and I didn't like the way they used them here (or in the shows entire run).

Firefly's "Objects in Space", if it counts, was awesome.

Buffys finale was fitting, but I didn't think was too, too great. Maybe in my high top 10.

Seinfelds might squeek in there, because when you think about it, it was really fitting that they go to jail - they weren't good people.

I was ok with the gang from Seinfeld going to jail. I just didn't think the last episode was all that great.

Some of my favorites are All in the Family, Roseanne, Cheers, and Family Ties.

Dude, you liked Roseannes ending. That goes under my least favourite list. Cheers' was good, though.

It wasn't that I really liked it in the same way that I liked the other ones. I just found it very interesting, especially for a simple sitcom. A pretty gutsy move for something like that. The ending where Darlene and Becky were with the other's guy was pretty messed up too.

Cheers is more than likely my favorite of them all.

All though I haven't seen it, from what I've read the Sci-Fi ending to MST3K was very fitting and cool with Mike and the Bots getting an apartment together and watching bad movies.

The Buffy finale was good, but it had a lot to wrap up as the Angel finale will as well. Thus is the situation with a show that follows long running storylines.

I forget what happened in the Quantum Leap finale.

Kids In The Hall

That finale was great.

And I must say, since I'm surprised the sci-fi geeks amongst haven't mentioned this yet, that Babylon 5 has one of the greatest endings to a sci-fi show ever.

Which makes sense, since Bab 5 was the greatest sci-fi show of all time.

Yes, of all time. Take that, Whedon marks.

Edit: Ugh. The Buffy finale was so NOT good. VERY disappointing.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Was the end of Kids in the Hall them being buried during the credits?

Kids In The Hall

That finale was great.

Indeed it was. Soup De'Jour is a classic.

Dave Foley (with a sick look on his face): You like the soup?

Kevin McDonald: It's good. What's in it?

Dave: Go on. Keep eating the soup.

Kevin: This is good stuff. What's in it?

Dave: Keep eating the soup and I'll tell you.

Kevin: What's in it?

Dave: You really want to know?

Kevin: Yeah.

Dave: You sure?

Kevin: Yeah.

Dave (with the sick look still on his face): I made it with my own--

::STATIC::

From the sound of it, I think Dave was going to say either "cum" or "sperm" but I'm not sure. A soup made from cum, no wonder it got cut off. :P

And yes, that was the episode where they were buried in the end and Belini danced on the grave.

All though I haven't seen it, from what I've read the Sci-Fi ending to MST3K was very fitting and cool with Mike and the Bots getting an apartment together and watching bad movies.

It is indeed good. And I did manage to get teary-eyed and goosebumps during the final scene when the camera shows them watching "The Crawling Eye" in shadowrama form (although they aren't silohuettes). Despite being freed from being forced to watch bad movies for the past 10 years, they did not stop watching terrible films and continued riffing on them on Earth. I loved it.

I forget what happened in the Quantum Leap finale.

Sam got leaped into a strange town as himself on the date of his birth. He landed in a bar where alot of the people he helped in the past appeared, but with different names and personas. Sam soon realized the bar was not the usual bar, when the bartender, Al, told him he knew about Sam's Quantamn Leaping. Sam believed that Al was God, or time, or fate, or the controller, the one who has been controlling his leaps for the past 5 years, but Al told Sam that he was the one doing the controlling himself due to Sam's willingness to help other people change their lives for the better. Sam refused to belive it, but then Al told him that Sam's destiny is to help people for the rest of his life, and that he can't go home. Then Sam was leaped into Al's (his friend, the one played by Dean Stockwell) girlfriend, Beth's home during the Vietnam War when Al was M.I.A. Sam told Beth that Al was alive and that he would return home. This changed Al's life for the better, and the last image on the show was a picture of Al. The picture turned blue, and the screen turned black. Then a caption appeared saying that Al and his girlfriend would get marry and have children, but Sam never returned home. This was supposed to be Part 1 to a 2-Part cliffhanger, but NBC cancelled the show before Part 2 could be filmed, so Part 1 ended up being the Series Finale which sucks, because the Series Finale didn't answer all the questions.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I'll chalk up another vote for Cheers, and add Boy Meets World to the mix.

Guest wrestlingbs

I hated how Sienfield ended. It just didn't seem funny.

How did MST3K end on CC?

How did MST3K end on CC?

Dr. Forrester lost his funding (he had funding?) for Deep 13, so he disconnected the Umbilicus, thus making the Satelite of Love float into a black hole where everyone on it would die. However, with the help of Mike dressed as the captain from Star Trek: Voyager, Gyspy was able to prevent the SOL from floating into the black hole, and instead it floated into the edge of the universe, where Mike, Crow, Servo, and Gyspy turned into beams of light and left the SOL to play. Meanwhile, Dr. Forrester, in a scene straight out of 2001, saw himself grow old and die. In the end, Forrester turned into a star baby in the arms of Pearl Forrester.

Cheers was great.

I liked "Chosen", but I feel it could have been far superior if they had made it a special 2 hour series finale. they had to cram so much into so little time.

Farscape- I had never watched the show, never given it a fair chance, but I caught the final episode otut of curiosity. The way it ended was just so spectacular, since they were expecting to come back for another season but instead were canceled to make room for such great showws as Tremmors and Scare Tactics.

I'll go for Quantum Leap. Anybody think they could do a movie now and wrap things up with that? Especially with the show being released on DVD?

Guest wrestlingbs
How did MST3K end on CC?

Dr. Forrester lost his funding (he had funding?) for Deep 13, so he disconnected the Umbilicus, thus making the Satelite of Love float into a black hole where everyone on it would die. However, with the help of Mike dressed as the captain from Star Trek: Voyager, Gyspy was able to prevent the SOL from floating into the black hole, and instead it floated into the edge of the universe, where Mike, Crow, Servo, and Gyspy turned into beams of light and left the SOL to play. Meanwhile, Dr. Forrester, in a scene straight out of 2001, saw himself grow old and die. In the end, Forrester turned into a star baby in the arms of Pearl Forrester.

Nice. But from how it sounds I like the Scifi finale more.

And since I hold a grudge against the Scifi Channel for this, I'll point out that the Farscape finale, like Quantum Leap, was never meant to be the series finale. Bastards. :angry:

I liked Quantum Leap, Seinfeld, and even though Power Rangers continues today the finale to the MMPR to the PR in Space era (Countdown to Destruction I/II - Astronema, Divatox, the Machine Empire, Rita/Zedd, every villain mounts an awesome attack, Andros must kill Zordon (but doesn't want to). He reluctantly does, and a wave of good envelops the galaxies turning almost every villain into dust, and turning Divatox, Astronema, Rita and Zedd human, then good human Rita and Zedd dance off -- confusing the Gold Ranger)

Here's a link to the summary of both eps

http://rangercentral.com/eps-pris.htm (go down to bottom)

I would have loved to have said the Ed series finale after Season 3, but then the show miraculously survived into another year and had a decidedly sub-par finale to Season 4. Looks like this WILL be the last one too. Bummer.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Cheers, All in the family, Hercules the Legendary Journies finales all rocked but the best was the finale of:

Highlander the series.

nothing like bagpipes. nothing.

Guest The Notorious CRD

I've always been partial to the way Roseanne ended. As someone else in this thread stated, it was quite bold.

Newhart's finale was pretty clever at the time as well.

Quantam Leap's finale was Sam giving up the chance to leap home. So Al was able to do so.

On the finale of Cheers was the figure outside the door supposed to be someone, or just a customer?

I liked the ending. Yes, Rebecca got married, and Diane returned but in the end Sam returned to Cheers. In fictional tv land you knew not much would be different at Cheers.

I'll back Kahran's mention of Black Adder. Comedy and pathos, often at the same time. Kind of jarring considering the tone of the rest of the series, but that's what makes it all the more effective.

You mean that that last season was written by Roseanne as a hobby or something? (In the later seasons she made her own quiet room where she could write). Interesting -- I stopped watching that show toward the end so this is all new to me.

So what happened to all the characters in "real life?..."

I recall them doing a "round the table" thing, like they do in the opening credits, and Roseanne narrating it. The only one I remember is her saying "After Dan died..." and then Goodman fading away.

I dunno whether she was writing a book or if it was just a diary. Maybe someone can clearify that.