TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Is it true that Europeans hate Americans?

Guest reshad974
but just for the time of your vacation, can you act as if you are just like us?

You mean lay down at the first sight of conflict? I can do that

Which conflict are u talking about ?

It's like if I'm going to Germany or France, I'll pretend to be Irish. You get much better service.

You've been to Germany? How was that?

Cool. Some very nice people, some a tad obnoxious but thats always the way if you're a foreigner who doesn't speak the lingo. I'd put it above France and England, but below Estonia and Holland.

but just for the time of your vacation, can you act as if you are just like us?

You mean lay down at the first sight of conflict? I can do that

Which conflict are u talking about ?

The one where you were injured in combat.

You know, when you had your sense of humour blown off by a grenade or something.

I went on a Field trip, so the parts I went to were mainly the smaller towns like Eichstaadt and Darmstadt. Darmstadt's a good place. Karlsruhe too, and that'd probably be my pick if you're wanting to go to a busier city. However, if you want a German vibe but more pleasant cities, I'd recomend Salzberg in Austria. Same type of place, but more beautiful.

Really, it boils down to what you're looking for in your trip. If it's nightlife and livelyness, go for Berlin. If it's a typical continental city, Kalsruhe's cool. If you're happier staying in a smaller city go for Darmstadt. If it's a more relaxed time, go for Austria. I'm not a fan of Munich, but some people like it there. What type of trip do you want?

EDIT: Also, InsaneBumpMachine is from Germany IIRC. I haven't seen him around lately, but he's good people and he might be able to give you a few hints.

IDRM- Don't forget to bring a "These colours don't run" shirt with you. During my FL vacation I spotted about 30 of them during one day at Sea World. You Americans do love your crappy shirts.

I'm looking for something more scenic and peaceful as opposed to busy. I was really giving a lot of thought to stopping by Bavaria, swinging through Berlin (just to get a taste of the city), and maybe stopping by a few other towns. Really, though, I'm completely in the dark when it comes to where to go, when to go, all that sort of stuff.

If you're looking for scenic, I reccomend going down to the German/Austrian/Swiss border where the Alps are. Seriously some of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Your bsest bet may be to do a couple of days in each city and go from one end of Germany to the other. That way, you'd be able to get the best out of every walk of life. Make sure you go between May and August though if you can. The whethers pretty miserable outside those periods, and you don't wanna be stuck in a foreign country when it's pissing it down.

As with any trip, put in as much research as possible beforehand. Go to as many websites as possible, look in all the books down the library, ask anyone whos been there. Some sources will be full of shit, but after a while you'll get an idea of the best course of action.

And be sure to let us know about it if and when you do go.

IDRM- Don't forget to bring a "These colours don't run" shirt with you. During my FL vacation I spotted about 30 of them during one day at Sea World. You Americans do love your crappy shirts.

Yes we do. Although I doubt it would say "colours".

I'll have to be checking Germany out too. For concentration camps and chocolate.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
I'm looking for something more scenic and peaceful as opposed to busy. I was really giving a lot of thought to stopping by Bavaria, swinging through Berlin (just to get a taste of the city), and maybe stopping by a few other towns. Really, though, I'm completely in the dark when it comes to where to go, when to go, all that sort of stuff.

Go to Scotland Debbie. I spent time there as a kid and it FUCKING rocks.

It's beauty of a land and when the fog on the moors reveals the ruins of ancient castles a true scotsman's blood sings in time with the Piper's sweet music.

CWM- Too Scotch for his own good.

Guest The Masked Avenger

Contrary to popular opinion, not all Europeans are alike. Some are tall, some are not. Some like beer, some do not. Some have red hair, some do not. Much the same as in USA, I imagine. This diversity also holds true for attitudes towards people from USA. If you are a decent human being (or at least pretend to be one), you will mostly be treated as such.

-TMA

Guest Homeless Guy Spare Some Change

us homeless people hate everyone

In some parts of the UK, you may be seen as a novelty. When I was in uni at Swansea, all the American students seemed to make friends really quickly, as everyone wanted to say "This is my friend ______, he's AMERICAN!", so you may be treated as some kind of hero. Just prepare for questions like "What is a twinkie?" (which I still don't know) "How often do you eat corndogs?" and "Why do you call your game football, when you use your hands for 90% of the game?". Seriously, certain Brits love those questions.

Guest Homeless Guy Spare Some Change

^ they do, i always thought we were intelligent and knew the answers to those questions.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
"What is a twinkie?" (which I still don't know)

Creme-filled yellow sponge cake.

That's not half as bad as the dumb shit Americans ask foreigners.

I just spent two weeks in Italy and everyone was super nice to me, not to mention that everyone spoke English.

Although when I lived in Australia for 6 months I did get some problems for being american, but nothing major. I got a free movie ticket out of it too when I went to see The Ring in Cairns and for some reason the ticket girl flipped out on me saying "You Americans think you can do whatever you want." I got the free ticket from the manager and when I walked in to the theater I said "Thanks for the free ticket, cunt." That pissed her off even more than I wanted to.

Back on topic...no problems (for me at least) in Italy.

You'll get that from people here. Most don't give a flying fuck (about anything) but some are insanely narrow minded, but I guess that's the same everywhere. (I hope)

When a friend of mine went to America a year or so ago, she was asked, in all seriousness, by people her age (19-20) if we had cows and light switches in England. We see most americans as kind of a huge conceptualist art exhibit. You're probably just art students in a cult led by Genesis P Orridge.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Whoa. Throbbing Gristle reference^ Who the fuck listens to them anymore?

One rule: DON'T CALL IT SOCCER!!!

Especially in Britain. Those soccer rioters...they exist.

"Why do you call your game football, when you use your hands for 90% of the game?"

You most likely WILL hear that question in England once you get talking to someone.

I wouldn't have a clue about Germany, as I've never been there. Never really had the desire to. Best advice is avoid obnoxiousness, dumb questions and the typical American tourist look...which may not be too frowned on in Germany. Again, I'm no expert.

"Why do you call your game football, when you use your hands for 90% of the game?"

You most likely WILL hear that question in England once you get talking to someone.

Just out of interest, what's the answer? :)

Just thought i'd throw in my opinion on Germany, I stayed in Berlin for a few days but really didn't like it. To me it didn't seem like a major city should do, but maybe thats just because of the parts i went to though. I whole heartedly advise you to visit Poland though. From my experience pretty friendly people, insanely cheap alcohol, and the vast majority of the women came across were very good looking. Even the chicks working in the American Embassy AKA Macdonalds were pretty hot.

Just out of interest, what's the answer? :)

It was named during a period where such names were in fashion. Cuban heels, Panama hats, sanitariums, fisticuffs, handlebar mustaches, monocles, unicycles, shoehorns, sun decks, expositions and contraptions... football fits right in with those names, as you can see.

Anyway, I'm probably not going to go to Europe afterall. I mean, I will go, but next year instead. I'll still remember all this, so don't feel your time has been wasted.