TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
B. Brian Brunzell

***** Albums in Your Collection

And excuse me, but peoples' opinions differ.

They do. But the point of this thread wasn't to find out what YOU think is a ***** album. The point was to find out which albums, considered to be ***** by the majority of society, people who frequent TSM own. I dunno why people wanted to know that, but I guess someone did.

Thus, to make a statement like "to each their own" in such an environment is pointless. If he wanted to know which albums you think are *****, he would've asked. He didn't.

I understand exactly the point you were trying to get across with such a quote, but the bottom line is, it means NOTHING to the discussion at hand.

Stop being such a fucking idiot.

Hooray for civility. You know, if I cared, I might ask why you have such an opinion of me - but I don't.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking
And excuse me, but peoples' opinions differ.

They do. But the point of this thread wasn't to find out what YOU think is a ***** album. The point was to find out which albums, considered to be ***** by the majority of society, people who frequent TSM own. I dunno why people wanted to know that, but I guess someone did.

Thus, to make a statement like "to each their own" in such an environment is pointless. If he wanted to know which albums you think are *****, he would've asked. He didn't.

I understand exactly the point you were trying to get across with such a quote, but the bottom line is, it means NOTHING to the discussion at hand.

Stop being such a fucking idiot.

Hooray for civility. You know, if I cared, I might ask why you have such an opinion of me - but I don't.

Ok, I will admit that the fact that a lot of people don't enjoy the album and it's not actually in my collection makes it not worth a mention here.

But everyone didn't have to go apeshit when it was mentioned. If they hadn't, we wouldn't be here.

But yes, I see where you're coming from - let's end this and talk about an album that is actually in someone's collection.

If they hadn't, we wouldn't be here.

Nah, we still would; everyone else just beat me to it.

I meant everyone.

And you haven't yet given your list. What are the ***** albums in your collection?

I forgot to point this out last night:

But everyone didn't have to go apeshit when it was mentioned.

No, they didn't. But you know what would've made them a hellava lot less likely to go apeshit? If you hadn't brought Linkin Park up in about the most confrontational way you possibly could've. Claiming that something is something "whether or not any of you want to admit it" is just ASKING for people to jump all over you.

What are the ***** albums in your collection?

I'd say Paranoid, Black Sabbath, The Number of the Beast, and probably no more.

Okay, I grabbed one of my CD cases just now, and I shall show you what albums in it would be considered ***** without much of a stretch.

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico

Dave Brubeck - Time Out

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

The Beatles - Rubber Soul

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Wu Tang Clan - Enter The Wu Tang: 36 Chambers

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

Talking Heads - Remain In Light

I think we can all agree on these, right? I'll be back later with the rest of my collection, possibly.

I forgot to point this out last night:

But everyone didn't have to go apeshit when it was mentioned.

No, they didn't. But you know what would've made them a hellava lot less likely to go apeshit? If you hadn't brought Linkin Park up in about the most confrontational way you possibly could've. Claiming that something is something "whether or not any of you want to admit it" is just ASKING for people to jump all over you.

What are the ***** albums in your collection?

I'd say Paranoid, Black Sabbath, The Number of the Beast, and probably no more.

Do you have a small collection or do you just have no others worth *****?

The Number of the Beast was such a fucking momentous achievement - awesome record.

My collection isn't small, (about 150 on last count, maybe 170 by now) but it's mostly all metal and stuff that I don't think would be considered ***** on a larger scale, you know? Like, I figure for an album to be ***** it should also have a wider appeal, which I think the albums I mentioned do.

I have other albums that I might consider ***** in terms of just metal (like a bunch of other Maiden CDs and what-have-you) but I figured I'd just go for the overall stuff.

My collection isn't small, (about 150 on last count, maybe 170 by now) but it's mostly all metal and stuff that I don't think would be considered ***** on a larger scale, you know? Like, I figure for an album to be ***** it should also have a wider appeal, which I think the albums I mentioned do.

I have other albums that I might consider ***** in terms of just metal (like a bunch of other Maiden CDs and what-have-you) but I figured I'd just go for the overall stuff.

Yeah, I guess that's why Linkin Park caused such a furore - on a larger scale, it wouldn't mean much.

It is about your personal collection, so I think though that if you think it's worth *****, it is. Pretty much the only genres that make ***** on a larger scale are pop like Elton John, and rock like Kiss. Pretty much everything else isn't for everyone and has it's own legion of fans.

Are you into older metal mainly, or do you like some of the newer stuff?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

No, it'd still be dumb, because at that point, you're just gauging on popularity. If you're using that as your criteria, then there's a bunch of seriously rotten crap you'd be consider being the uptmost pinnacle of music. I think you need to seriously re-evaluate how you judge something. ***** doesn't mean ** that everyone really likes a lot because it's cool.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps

Electric Six - Fire

Yeah, there's a difference between an album having greater appeal then the norm of the genre, and being the crap that radios play constantly.

It is about your personal collection, so I think though that if you think it's worth *****, it is.

Remember how we discussed that this wasn't the point? And if people wanted to know what you felt was worth *****, they would've asked? Yeah.

I'm more into older metal then the newer stuff, I guess (even though most of the "older" bands I like are still making albums) though I do like some of the newer stuff. I dunno, I don't generally define my tastes in terms of age.

Yeah, there's a difference between an album having greater appeal then the norm of the genre, and being the crap that radios play constantly.

It is about your personal collection, so I think though that if you think it's worth *****, it is.

Remember how we discussed that this wasn't the point? And if people wanted to know what you felt was worth *****, they would've asked? Yeah.

I'm more into older metal then the newer stuff, I guess (even though most of the "older" bands I like are still making albums) though I do like some of the newer stuff. I dunno, I don't generally define my tastes in terms of age.

When you compare older metal no newer metal (not nu metal), it's changed, because metal bands of the 90s and 21st century are more hardcore, the lyrics are more edgy and cause more controversy. For the most part, the metal of the older generation has better music as a whole, but there's still some now metal that's damn wonderful.

If there's one thing I don't need, it's lectures on metal from you, kiddo.

Well, you've obviously never had a lecture in your life.

When you compare older metal no newer metal (not nu metal), it's changed, because metal bands of the 90s and 21st century are more hardcore, the lyrics are more edgy and cause more controversy. For the most part, the metal of the older generation has better music as a whole, but there's still some now metal that's damn wonderful.

What is hardcore?

The lack of creativity in the song structure, just chugging out simplistic riffs at a fast tempo? The major use of the power chord, more so than Tony Iommi (you do know who Tony Iommi is...do you?). Same lyrics in almost every single band? The same image as every other band. Controversy? If System and Rage are a controversial band now, because of their "beliefs" in lyrics, then why not we look at bands like Venom, Slayer, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Ozzy Osbourne for some controversial lyrics. Mind you that some of them aren't political lyrics at all, which limits Rage and System.

What is hardcore?

The lack of creativity in the song structure, just chugging out simplistic riffs at a fast tempo? The major use of the power chord, more so than Tony Iommi (you do know who Tony Iommi is...do you?). Same lyrics in almost every single band? The same image as every other band. Controversy? If System and Rage are a controversial band now, because of their "beliefs" in lyrics, then why not we look at bands like Venom, Slayer, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Ozzy Osbourne for some controversial lyrics. Mind you that some of them aren't political lyrics at all, which limits Rage and System.

Yes, the descriptions there are what I meant - whether you consider them "hardcore" or not is up to you.

And Black Sabbath are one of my favourite hard rock bands, of course I know who Tony Iommi is.

Speaking of guitars, a little off-topic... Who's registered on the GuitarTabs.cc forums? It has over 220,000 registered members.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Like who?

Like who?

Meh. Not that I'm much of a huge metal fan, but say, Pantera, Blind Guardian and Slayer, to name a few.

Like who?

Meh. Not that I'm much of a huge metal fan, but say, Pantera, Blind Guardian and Slayer, to name a few.

I don't listen to a ton of metal either, but I think it's a little silly to lump Slayer and Pantera in with "newer metal," if that's what you're doing. I think Reign in Blood was out in 1985 or 1986, and the big Pantera albums were around 1990. Both groups have still recorded to the present, but they made their big marks well over a decade ago. Blind Guardian is more recent, but my limited experience with them leads me to consider them as moreso wanky than metal.

Albums in my collection that I guess would be about ***** as in the level of quality is high and consistent and I don't have to skip anything.

Stooges-Fun House

Clash-Clash(original UK version)

Gang of Four-Entertainment

Joy Division-Unknown Pleasures

Van Halen-Van Halen

At the Gates-Slaughter of the Soul

Slayer-Reign in Blood

Television-Marquee Moon

Opeth-Still Life

Misfits-Walk Among Us

Hopesfall-No Wings to Speak of-perhaps not fair that it's an ep, but it's still the best hardcore release I've ever heard.

Hot Water Music-Fuel for the Hate Game

Just missed:

Cure-Disintegration

Smiths-Queen is Dead

Iron Madien-Number of the Beast

While I do like Blind Guardian, I don't think any of their work is mentioning ***** material, or ground breaking by any means. While many claim Reign In Blood a solid album, I think it is overrated big time. With a great lead in song, and a great closing song, I think the rest of the material is filler really. A solid Slayer album is Seasons of the Abyss, Hell Aways, South of Heaven, which is quite possibly their best album.

Edwin, I agree, but Pantera are still more of a recent metal band than say, Judas Priest or another older band.

The Pantera album that I was listening to was Vulgar Display of Power from 1992, and the Blind Guardian album Somewhere Far Beyond. I was at a friend's place, and he's a huge metal fan.

I was also listening to Slayer's Reign In Blood, which is from 1986, but they're not 80s exclusive, and it's not like they made a comeback in the 90s or anything, like so many other bands have tried to do, metal or not.

Coffin, three of those albums in your colection are mine - The Clash, Joy Division (Ian Curtis was fucking amazing) and The Smiths. All great bands, all great albums.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
With a great lead in song, and a great closing song, I think the rest of the material is filler really

No way. That album rips. The only song on there I find pointless is Necrophobic. That didn't need to be there. Altar of Sacrifice, Piece by Piece, Jesus Saves, Postmortem, Criminally Insane..those are all fuckin' tough. Epidemic and Reborn are ok thrash numbers, too, but could be called filler I guess. The thing is, the "filler" there actually FILLS something, doesn't detract from the album in the slightest, and most importantly, keeps the album pounding along quickly, which is what it's meant to do.

AoO: Reign In Blood loyalist til death.

-IB-, are you aware that Pantera has existed, in some form, for 20 years? Blind Guadian has been around for about 15.

Being less old then Judas Priest doesn't make you recent by any stretch of the imagination.

And how would you expect a band that never went away in the first place to make a comeback?

With Tom Waits, I never understood why Alice wasn't hailed as his best ever. It's the most balanced example of all his styles.

More discussion about this, please.

Not that the rest of his stuff isn't awesome, but that one edges out all the others every time for me. It's totally complete, displaying all his scariest forms alongside the moving ballads with the strongest cohesion.

While I do like Blind Guardian, I don't think any of their work is mentioning ***** material, or ground breaking by any means.

I totally agree. I've been listening to Blind Guardian since I was about 16 or 17 and have always been a fan. The only album that really comes close to being near ***** is Nightfall in Middle Earth, though Somewhere Far Beyond is stellar as well.