TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

A stroll through the Stats....

Presenting some different stats which usually don't show up in the sports section...

Isolated Power

Isolated power measures the pure power of a hitter, beyond simply his base hits. Isolated powers subtracts batting average from slugging percentage. For example, Ron Belliard is hitting .379, and slugging .474. But if we subtract his batting average, his Isolated Power is just .095, meaning most of his slugging percentage is singles. Isolated power identifies the hitters who are crushing the ball, as opposed to slapping it.

1. Barry Bonds .530

2. Troy Glaus .388

3. Adam Dunn .374

4. Richie Sexson .373

5. Jorge Posada .370

6. Jim Thome .362

7. Hee Seop Choi .337

8. Carlos Beltran .327

9. Jason Giambi .316

10. Miguel Cabrera .313

Secondary Average

Secondary average measures a hitter's contributions beyond his batting average, taking into account his walks, power, and stolen bases. Last year, Jason Giambi led the American League in this category, remaining one of the game's best hitters despite a .250 batting average.

1. Barry Bonds 1.318

2. Adam Dunn .802

3. Lance Berkman .581

4. Carlos Beltran .566

5. Jorge Posada .554

6. J.D. Drew .549

7. Jason Giambi .537

8. Frank Thomas .534

9. Richie Sexson .530

10. Troy Glaus .524

Walk/Strikeout Ratio

How good is a hitter at controlling the strike zone, and selecting pitches? BB/K ratio measures a hitter's effectiveness at bat control. BB/K ratio is not a critical ability for hitters, but it is an interesting view of a hitter. Players hitting poorly with good BB/K ratios tend to improve.

1. Barry Bonds 7.14

2. Rafael Palmeiro 4.00

Paul LoDuca 4.00

4. Albert Pujols 3.33

5. Scott Hatteberg 2.33

6. Edgardo Alfonzo 2.20

Shannon Stewart 2.20

Ramon Hernandez 2.20

9. Juan Pierre 2.17

10. Frank Thomas 2.08

Juan Pierre is worth noting. While he is one of the poster children for smallball, his ability to draw walks and reach bases makes him valuable without stealing a base.

Pitches per Plate Appearance

How selective is a hitter? P/PA measures purely how many pitches a hitter sees in an at bat. More is usually better.

1. D'Angelo Jimenez 4.5

2. Todd Zeile 4.4

3. Adam Dunn 4.4

4. Jason Varitek 4.4

5. Mark Bellhorn 4.2

6. Miguel Cabrera 4.2

7. Jim Edmonds 4.2

8. Raul Mondesi 4.2

9. Jeff Bagwell 4.2

10. Frank Thomas 4.2

Strikeout to Walk Ratio

How good is a pitcher? Some pitchers have low hits allowed totals with bad peripherals. These pitchers almost always decline. And vice versa. K/BB ratio is one of the best tools for measuring a pitcher's true performance.

1. Curt Schilling 7.57

2. Ben Sheets 6.29

3. Brad Radke 6.25

4. Oliver Perez 5.29

5. Kevin Millwood 4.67

6. Randy Johnson 4.36

7. Jose Acevedo 4.14

8. Kerry Wood 3.85

9. Adam Eaton 3.75

10. Josh Beckett 3.43

Guest OctoberBlood

Reds Repersenting! Adam Dunn, DLO, Acevedo..

"1. D'Angelo Jimenez 4.5"

No surprise there. I swear, he comes to the plate already with a full count.

...Much like Brandon Larson comes to the plate with a 0-2 count. ;)

I would still think that Frank Thomas had a higher walks to strikeouts ratio than that...eh

I think the first bit of stats is pointless...all of these guys are pretty 120+ strikeout guys a year and are very streaky to begin with. I could actually only see Bonds, Choi, Giambi, and maybe Glaus continuing well in this stat.

I think the first bit of stats is pointless...all of these guys are pretty 120+ strikeout guys a year and are very streaky to begin with. I could actually only see Bonds, Choi, Giambi, and maybe Glaus continuing well in this stat.

Strikeouts won't hurt in the stat more than any other stat. Mostly the leaders are either pure power hitters, or power hitters who don't hit for high averages. Adam Dunn fits well into the latter category. Hitters like Dunn and Thome tend to walk, strike out, and hit home runs. Those players tend to have high Isolated Power.

Suprising Palmerio is second in Walk to K ratio.

Does anyone have any idea if they keep a stat on most times on base. That would include reaching on an error, a fielders choice or any AB that's considered an out on the boxscore.

Guest Anglesault

I despise Juan Pierre.

I remember at some point Giambi was like in the top five for BB/K ratio. Jim Kaat mentioned it and then he went on to strike out two or three times that night.

Suprising Palmerio is second in Walk to K ratio.

Not at all if you watch him. He's cool as a cucumber at the plate and just lays back until you throw him something he likes and if not, takes the walk. I think he's 2nd behind Bonds this year in walks so far....