TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BoboBrazil

Bill Banks Column For 5/15

"Wow"

That one word pretty much sums up everything that's happened in TNA this past week. Scratch that - make that the past few months.

Rumors had been making the rounds on the internet in the weeks leading up to the announcement, but the planning for the new Fox Sports Net show had been ongoing for months. During that time, the details were kept under wraps, but a massive amount of planning was being done by TNA management to get the deal done. And finally, this past Wednesday, the fruits of everyone's hard work in the company paid off. The TNA superstars, informed of the final deal prior to the Pay-Per-View during a talent meeting, erupted into applause when it was announced.

Sitting there in the bleachers alongside everyone - I've got to say it was one of the best feelings I've ever had in my time in the wrestling business. Success, redemption, pride - I felt them all right then and there. It's great to accomplish something as a team again. I haven't felt like this since I was with the WWF and we overcame WCW to win the Monday night ratings war.

It may sound cliche, but it's true - TNA going national on Fox Sports Net wouldn't have happened without you, the fans. The fans who pay to watch us every week on Pay-Per-View. The fans who come to the Asylum in Nashville every Wednesday night. And of course, the fans who visit our website. From me, I say thanks!

But, the work has just begun. The hours are about to get even crazier for all of us. Travel plans are ongoing for our trip to Orlando each week, and the superstars have even been getting measured for new ring attire. There are so many questions still to be answered about "Impact!", but rest assured, they will come in the days ahead.

The face of TNA is about to change - and I'm excited again.

Enough of my blathering - let's get to the news....

This past week on the "Between The Ropes" wrestling show, Jeff Jarrett spoke at length about the details of the new "Impact!" show, and even spoke about a new and innovative ring that will be used on the show. "Not the traditional four sided ring" Jarrett said. Very, very interesting. In addition, I've also seen bits and pieces of the new set and arena design for the show, and I've got to say I'm thoroughly impressed. I think fans will be as well.

TNA also got some major press this week thanks to our very own Jonny Fairplay, who appeared on Survivor Thursday night and walked away with top honors in two "Best Of Survivor" categories. Millions of people saw the broadcast and heard about TNA thanks to Fairplay, who from what I understand will be returning to TNA in the near future. Add to that Jarrett's appearance on "Best Damn Sports Show Period" on Thursday, and it was a very good day for us to put it mildly.

Obviously, with a new show upcoming TNA is going through tremendous growth - and that means bringing in new production staff to help. This past week, Hector "Moody" Melendez joined TNA to assist in various areas including Spanish marketing, broadcasting and video editing. By all accounts, "Moody" was key in helping the IWA in Puerto Rico achieve success in recent years and he's a welcomed addition to the TNA family. Chances are yours truly will end up sharing an apartment in downtown Nashville with Moody, right next door to Tim Welch and Jeremy Borash. That's a scary thought! In addition to Moody, it appears referee Andrew Thomas is also close to accepting a full time job with TNA in our offices as well.

The Homicidal, Genocidal, Suicidal Sabu signed a long-term contract with TNA this past week, joining Amazing Red, Sonjay Dutt, Traci and Monty Brown as new signees in recent weeks.

Ok, get ready to say "WHAT?" (5,4,3,2.....1)

Vince Russo is attending Seminary School. Yes, you saw right. Go back and read it if necessary. In all seriousness, Russo told me this past week he's been accepted to Seminary School, with his ultimate goal of becoming a Pastor. No, this is not a joke. It's a big step for Russo to take, who in the past year has certainly been a changed man - both mentally, physically and spiritually. I say hats off to him and congratulations, but I've gotta tell you having been friends with Russo for close to ten years now, it's a weird feeling to compare him now to the Russo I first met in WWF who was responsible for the "Crash TV" evolution. But, like he told me last week, "Everyone can change". There's a newsbit for you internet journalists to chew on for a while.

This Wednesday night on Pay-Per-View features what I think will be one of our most innovative World Title matches to date as we debut the "Deadly Draw" bout featuring AJ Styles, The Truth, Raven and Wildcat Chris Harris. For a detailed explanation of the rules, check out the official preview by CLICKING HERE.

Wednesday night will also see the in-ring wrestling return of the American Dream Dusty Rhodes as he teams with James Storm to take on NWA World Tag Team Champion Kid Kash and Dallas. It's always fun to see The Dream in the ring, and this Wednesday should be an entertaining match. But please, someone tell Dusty to NEVER EVER take his boots off again in the ring. Did you people get a look at those little piggies?? Regardless, Dusty's "interview" with Kid Kash was priceless.

Speaking of Kid Kash, hats off to the superstar for competing with major pain against James Storm this past Wednesday night. A few weeks ago, Kash was bitten by a spider and suffered an arm infection in the process. Last weekend, the infection came back and Kash had to spend the day in a hospital. Still hurting on Wednesday, Kash heavily wrapped the injury and gutted it out against Storm.

You may have noticed several TNA superstars wearing a "Property Of TNA" T-shirt this past week during the Pay-Per-View. The new shirt will be available here on the website in the days to come.

Abyss has become a regular for the AAA promotion in Mexico in recent weeks, home to the defending Americas X Cup champions Team Mexico. The superstar has fast become a major force in the promotion, and is featured on their shows this weekend in Mexico.

Thanks to TNA management's blessing, I made a pretty dramatic change to the Xplosion format in recent weeks. We now feature the great photography taken by Lee South right here on the website. I've heard nothing but praise for the new switch and I hope you all like it.

What happens when four Japanese superstars come to Nashville, Tennessee for a week? A huge language barrier and plenty of laughs, that's what. The members of Team Japan from the All Japan promotion were in attendance this past week for the Pay-Per-View, and a funny story happened involving them and TNA office coordinator Tim Welch. Earlier in the day, D'Lo Brown (who worked with the newcomers in All-Japan and helped them along during their travels) came to Welch and requested some meal tickets for them to use (for everyone in TNA, lunch starts at 1:30 and you have to present a ticket to get your meal). So, Welch gives D'Lo the tickets and goes about his business. At around 5PM, long after lunch was over, the Japanese superstars all approach Tim, holding up their meal tickets. Welch assumes they forgot to give the attendants their tickets when they ate, so he takes them and proceeds to rip them up and throw them in the garbage. For the next half hour or so, the All-Japan superstars follow Tim around like puppy dogs, which Welch is perplexed by due to the language barrier. FINALLY, one of the All-Japan guys gets Welch's attention and manages one English word while rubbing his stomach - "Hungry!"

Apparently, D'Lo had neglected one important detail when presenting the group their meal tickets - where to actually acquire said meal. They had never eaten lunch, were starving, and Welch acted like a complete jack@$$ by ripping up their meal tickets right in front of them. Tim apologized and made good the best he knew - they all jumped in his car and went to Burger King for burgers and fries!

That's it for this week - enjoy Wednesday's Pay-Per-View!

Bill Banks

You KNOW Russo and a pastor is going to be a SWERVE~!

Somehow I think that when Russo dies, God's going to make him win a "Salvation on a Pole" match before getting into heaven.