TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fook

Vince on OTR tonight and tomorrow

Guest Fook

Show starts in 15. Said to be interesting. He apparently talks about Austin, Goldberg, Lesnar, and Bret.

So Vince says that the whole reason the Canucks are announced from the US is all because of popularity.

Christian is announced from Toronto, because he's a heel.

So basically, Vince McMahon said what everyone suspected. He thinks Canadians can't reach the top level of popularity overseas without having their hometowns changed.

Guest Choken One

why is that such a issue to people in canada?

Cincinnati didn't cry when Brian Pillman changed his hometown to "Hollywood".

I don't have a problem. If Benoit represented Canada more often, of course I (as well as most other Canadian wrestling fans) would have a bigger problem.

I'm upset that we're not allowed to be represented on television tapings that take place in America, but we're not losing any Canadian icons.

ETA: Oh, snap.

OTR lets viewers e-mail in to the studio, and Vince was just asked what he plans to do with the SmackDown roster, because it looks "thinner than Hulk Hogan's hairline."

Zach Waters in Toronto, where can I send you a complimentary fruit basket?

OTR lets viewers e-mail in to the studio, and Vince was just asked what he plans to do with the SmackDown roster, because it looks "thinner than Hulk Hogan's hairline."

Yet the question remained unanswered. Hopefully they will touch on it in part 2 of the interview, I still seriously doubt that they will, but it gives at least a little hope.

Over all I think part 1 of the interview was good, Vicne didnt act as the Mr. McMahon characther, and represented himself and the WWE well. As of right now Im thinking part 2 will be a must see.

http://pwbts.com/messages/8438.htm

As a joke, Landsberg starts off by saying "Why did you screw Bret?" They both laughed.

The biggest WWE star ever might be Stone Cold Steve Austin. His contract expired, why isn't he on your roster?

Vince McMahon basically said that it was Austin's decision. Austin can't physically compete and everyone has known that for a while. Vince also said that Austin doesn't like to be thought of less than what he was. Austin wants the rights to use the name Stone Cold. Vince goes on saying that when you're a contracted performer, you have certain rights. He said Steve owns the name Steve Austin, but doesn't own Stone Cold. It's important for Vince to protect the WWE's intellectual property.

Rock was given rights to his name, why can't Stone Cold?

Vince McMahon corrects him and says that The Rock does not own the name "The Rock." The WWE gave Rock a license to use the name "The Rock" for Hollywood. Michael Landsberg asked Vince if Austin made him more money than anyone. Vince McMahon said yes. Austin certainly contributed to the WWE, but Austin got a lot of help. Many superstars helped him get there. Vince said that even Austin would admit that.

You have to respond to the public to a certain extent. When the public says where is Stone Cold, how does Vince respond?

Vince says they don't say that. The fans don't want the Stone Cold now, who can't perform. Austin's physical limitations is one of the reasons why he isn't on the roster. Vince said that he gave Austin a tremendous offer, but it was all Austin's decision. He said Austin walked out twice on the company and he was forgiven twice. It did hurt the company when he left. He left everyone hanging and Steve recognized the errors he made. He said Stone Cold Steve Austin, the wrestler we knew is done. He can't do what he use to do, but he will always have value. He said Austin might be back some day, the door is always open.

Can Austin succeed in another world, like the Rock did in Hollywood?

Vince said "Not necessarily like The Rock." In a way he can't be The Rock, he was never The Rock. But if Steve crosses over to Hollywood with the right script, he thinks he can succeed.

Does Vince deal with Austin alone or his lawyers and team?

Vince prefers dealing with the talent alone. Vince doesn't like when an attorney that knows nothing about the wrestling business starts making demands for his client. That was the case with Austin's attorney, Vince didn't get along with him.

Vince has a great roster, huge representation of Canadians. someone tunes in and hears "Chris Benoit from Atlanta." He gets upset. What's the reason for the location switch?

Vince said that when Chris Benoit became champion, he'd been living in Atlanta for ten years. Michael Landsberg interrupts and says that he only lives there because it's convenient for him, but he's from Canada.

Vince McMahon said that it's a way to increase their popularity in the United States.

Landsberg asks: "Then why is Christian from Toronto?"

Vince said that Christian is a heel. There is a bias in the States and same goes in Canada.

Landsberg asked if all that started from the Hart Foundation storyline in 1997? Landsberg points out the fact that Bret Hart's favorite/greatest time of his life was in 1997 with the Hart Foundation. Vince said that a lot of baby face Americans are heels in Canada.

Topic switches to Bret Hart.

Landsberg asked Vince about the meeting Vince had with Bret. Vince said that Bret was an hour late for the meeting. Vince and Shane McMahon had met with Bret. Bret was watching the Calgary Flames' hockey game, which was the reason he was an hour late. Vince said that he and Shane were also watching the game, but they didn't tell that to Bret. Vince was close with Bret and still wants to think they are.

Landsberg pointed out that Bret hated Vince at one point.

Vince said that it was an unfortunate time in Vince's life. Vince wants to apologize but can't because he thinks he might do it again if it came to the same situation.

Reason of the meeting? Bret Hart DVD.. One-night return?

Vince said that a one-night Bret Hart return would be something they want do. He and Bret discussed a possible DVD, which was one of the main reasons for the meeting.

Landsberg said that Bret's popularity in this country is amazing and he's a Canadian hero. Vince McMahon agrees. Landsberg was happy to hear that because a few years back, Vince said that Bret was a WWF hero, not a Canadian hero and Landsberg and Vince started arguing about it. But now, Vince admits that Bret is a Canadian hero.

Has Vince changed? Is it important for Vince to be taken seriously?

He thinks it's important to be taken seriously as an entertainment company. He thinks yes, from a serious standpoint, it's a serious business, but it's a fun business.

Does it bother Vince that because it's wrestling, people don't give it its due?

Yes it does. Every opportunity he has he tries to correct it. Their goal is to be as good as they can be.

How's Vince's health?

Vince is in great shape. Body building is Vince's hobby and always has been.

How would the WWE survive without him?

He said it would survive because of his son Shane, his daughter, Stephanie and his son in law, HHH.

Let's say Vince leaves, who would he put in charge?

He said there would be at least two people doing his job. He said that he fills many hats... He'd put one person to have the final say for the creative team, etc...

what would HHH's position be?

Vince said that HHH is bright. He can have enormous contributions. Then he talks about Stephanie and says that when Steph became in charge of the creative team, he wasn't too sure about it at first, but she adapated.

Michael Landsberg said that Vince's show brought a lot to his show. His stars are always there to accept interviews for Off The Record and he thanks him for helping his show. Vince also thanks him.

How's Vince's relationship with Goldberg?

"Good."

How's Vince's relationship with Hulk Hogan?

"Good." Vince said that Hogan had left Vince a message with someone saying that he's in good shape. Hogan felt better than he has ever felt. Also that he's had a successful hip surgery and is ready to come back. Landsberg jokes and asks if Hogan's message was slow, like the way he wrestles, and he starts laughing.

Landsberg cuts off the interview. Part II of this interview will air tomorrow on TSN.

Guest Choken One

Interesting...

It's great to see that Vince is opening himself and the company to Bret and that Bret has finally put his bitterness aside...and i find it hilarious Bret being late because of the Calgary game...when The McMahons were watching it as well.

Nothing new on the Austin case...i wasn't expecting anything major to be uprooted there anyways.

I find it not so surprising that he pretty much said that Triple H will be in charge of the company someday...

Stephanie adapted? I don't think so vince...

Landsberg said that Bret's popularity in this country is amazing and he's a Canadian hero. Vince McMahon agrees.

L-O-mf'n-L.

I don't know what's funnier. Bret Hart, Canadian Hero; or the fact that Vince is obviously showing such desperation.

Guest JMA

I really don't see how Benoit and Jericho would get booed just because they're from Canada. And why is it just Canada? Why isn't Funaki announced as being from San Antonio, Texas?

Guest JMA

Probably because it was a dumb idea to begin with and done just to fuck with Canadian fans. You can't really compare Pillman's hometown being changed to this because it was done as part of a character.

Surprisingly, there seems to be a lot of American smart fans who are upset with the Canadian hometowns being changed.

Guest Trivia247
I really don't see how Benoit and Jericho would get booed just because they're from Canada. And why is it just Canada? Why isn't Funaki announced as being from San Antonio, Texas?

by there logic, yes Funaki should get booed as should akio sakoda Tajiri for being from Japan... At least Japan was at war with the US 60 odd years ago. Think of the majority of Japanese wrestlers that came over to the US in the 70's 80's and 90's for their tours of their respective companies.. Not to mention those Japanese home grown Americana boys.

They were mostly Heel. With a few faces here and there

Great Muta, Great Kabuki, mr Fuji, Orient Express, kai en Tai etc

What did Canada do to make themselves the hated heel country to the WWE? Aside being the landmass that had birthed a Bret Hart?

Probably we are thought of as the annoying little brat next door that just goes out of his way to make snide comments about you whenever we can.

...about the only thing I can remotely think of as a reason.

Interesting...

It's great to see that Vince is opening himself and the company to Bret and that Bret has finally put his bitterness aside...and i find it hilarious Bret being late because of the Calgary game...when The McMahons were watching it as well.

As if Vince and Bret getting together isn't weird enough.....

According to BillGoldberg.com, Goldberg and Bret Hart had dinner together following the Stanley Cup Finals game on Saturday, and met again on Sunday. Goldberg was the one who ended Bret Hart's career with a kick to the head. Goldberg's site promises more details on the meetings later.

Credit: 411

I don't think you guys are grasping the concept that Vince was trying to put across. He changing the Hometowns because he wants them to be faces, he wants to change them because he wants them to be at the height of their popularity, and american fans have a bias towards fans that are from America in that they will cheer for them more likely then they will cheer for someone from canada.

He said it is the same way in canada just not in such a large scale. Canadian fans will cheer Canadians no matter if they are heel or not, so changing the hometown names isn't something to piss off the canadian fans, it's just something to hopefully make the crowd reactions for the wrestlers larger.

Benoit is Canadian. He should be billed as coming from Canada. It's really that simple. If fans are going to boo him because he's Canadian then fuck them because they don't deserve to cheer for him.

Name me the last time an American that was born in another country was announced as being from there.

Guest Goodear
Benoit is Canadian. He should be billed as coming from Canada. It's really that simple. If fans are going to boo him because he's Canadian then fuck them because they don't deserve to cheer for him.

So by that same rationale, Canadians that get all upset about him changing his residence don't 'deserve' to be cheering for him either since they obviously only seem to care that he comes from the same country they do. Hell, when you've got a hoard of Quebeckers cheering on Sylvain F'N Grenier, I have to worry about all of the Canucks.

Name me the last time an American that was born in another country was announced as being from there.

An American being born in another country? What like on an army base?

Guest Fook

I think he meant the last time an American-born wrestler was billed as being from another country.

Vince McMahon basically said that it was Austin's decision. Austin can't physically compete and everyone has known that for a while. Vince also said that Austin doesn't like to be thought of less than what he was.

Michael Landsberg asked Vince if Austin made him more money than anyone. Vince McMahon said yes. Austin certainly contributed to the WWE, but Austin got a lot of help. Many superstars helped him get there. Vince said that even Austin would admit that.

You have to respond to the public to a certain extent. When the public says where is Stone Cold, how does Vince respond?

Vince says they don't say that. The fans don't want the Stone Cold now, who can't perform. Austin's physical limitations is one of the reasons why he isn't on the roster.

Thank God Vince understands that the fans don't really want SCSA.

Guest Fook

Conway's still billed as being from Kentucky.

Gail Kim is Canadian.

Nice try though...

So by that same rationale, Canadians that get all upset about him changing his residence don't 'deserve' to be cheering for him either since they obviously only seem to care that he comes from the same country they do. Hell, when you've got a hoard of Quebeckers cheering on Sylvain F'N Grenier, I have to worry about all of the Canucks.

An American being born in another country? What like on an army base?

Quebecers are a totally different breed of Canadian, don't lump the rest of the country in with them.

My point was that hometowns should not dictate the way a wrestler is cheered. I care that Benoits heritage is properly represented.

Fook- I'm pretty sure on RAW that I heard J.R say that Conway was from Quebec. Gail Kim is now being announced from Korea.

Why we can't have a sports show, or any show for that matter, here in the states, that can interview wrestling personalities in this same manner? We get the, "Do you guys really get hurt", "let me touch your championship belt", questions. Maybe if one sports talk show host booked wrestling personalities to discuss the business as it really is they would understand it a bit more. Landsberg gets most of his questions from Meltzer and from fans, correct?

Landsberg gets most of his questions from Meltzer and from fans, correct?

Im pretty sure he gets alot of them from the fans, he has even said it on certian shows, like teh one with Kurt Angle a few weeks back he said "Whenever our fans hear that someone from the WWE is going to be here they ask alot of different question directed to that person but theres usually one that most fans ask." In Angle case is was how was his health.

Either way where ever Lansburg gets his questions from weather it be the fans, Meltzer or somewhere else altoghter all I can say is that he seems to know whats going on, and comes off as a wrestling fan himself.

Sometimes he asks a question, the wrestler answers and then he askes another question based on that answer. You can almost be sure that everything he askes is just based on what Meltzer tells him.

Guest Fook
I'm pretty sure on RAW that I heard J.R say that Conway was from Quebec.

I must've missed that. Was he being serious or was he just mixing up Rob and Sly again?

Gail Kim is now being announced from Korea.

She's not American. It's apparently okay to change her country of origin, even if the country she's now from doesn't exist anymore.

I don't think you guys are grasping the concept that Vince was trying to put across. He changing the Hometowns because he wants them to be faces, he wants to change them because he wants them to be at the height of their popularity, and american fans have a bias towards fans that are from America in that they will cheer for them more likely then they will cheer for someone from canada.

Well being from Canada has not affected Jericho or Benoit's reactions throughout their stay in the WWE. Why would it now? I, personally, haven't noticed any change in the reaction to these guys, since changing, whatsoever, so what the hell was the point?

Guest wildpegasus

Well being from Canada has not affected Jericho or Benoit's reactions throughout their stay in the WWE. Why would it now? I, personally, haven't noticed any change in the reaction to these guys, since changing, whatsoever, so what the hell was the point?

I think part of the reason was that the WWE had full intentions of Benoit and Jericho too? fighting against Kenzo Suzuki in the main event scene. You know how pro american the WWE is so they didn't want someone else from another country fighting their battles for them. THey had to be from the States. Now the WWE can't really go back.

Guest JMA
Well in that case, Rob Conway and Gail Kim... tah dah.

Conway is from Quebec because of his gimmick. And, as stated before, Gail Kim isn't American.

Having a Conway, Bradshaw, or Pillman change their hometowns to portray certain characters is NOT comparable to Benoit and Jericho having their hometowns changed. And, once again, WHY is this just happening to Canadian wrestlers? Also, shouldn't Jericho be billed as "now residing in Tampa, Florida" if they want to accurately represent where the wrestlers live currently? The whole thing lacks any kind of rational consistency.