TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LucharesuFan619

CM Punk speaks about his future in NWA-TNA

CM Punk Talks

Interview by Al Lagattolla

CM Punk made a return to IWA MidSouth and worked three shows in three days in the Chicago area. He worked for Interstate Promotions (I-Pro) on May 27th, then worked consecutive days in IWA. He talks to Chicagowrestling.com's Al Lagattolla about why he returned, and about how he felt the crowd reacted.

He also talks about his future with NWA-TNA. After he has been gone for months, there is renewed talk of bringing him back. He talks about that, and also strongly denies that his altercation with wrestler Teddy Hart had anything to do with his departure from TNA.

To read the complete interview, go to http://chicagowrestling.com/AL/punk52904.htm

If TNA wants to be serious about TV...having CM Punk make a big return would be a good idea. He'd get himself over if they'd let him. He's one of the few guys I can think of that has the ability to make people care about a storyline/feud enough to make people open their wallets.

That said...they'd have to clear up the entire RoH/TNA mess before that could happen.

There is only so many times that C.M. Punk can use the straight edge gimmick in his feuds, Ring of Honor already realized it was getting old and moved him on to Ricky Steamboat. I wouldn't mind seeing him around to be in matches with A.J. Styles and Christopher Daniels, but he isn't main event material.

I'm glad he's cleared some of this up, as I was wondering exactly how long he was going to be gone. Kind of odd, though, how he's working ROH and they're contacting him. I thought that was a big no-no

Guest OSIcon

According to PWInsider, there has also been some "internal discussion" about bringing in Samoa Joe. Apparently, they wanted Joe to come to an Explosion taping a few weeks ago (presumably before they stopped using ROH wrestlers) for a tryour of sorts. He would have had to pay for his flight and work for free like everyone does on Explosion. He didn't feel that was worth it so that was that. However, there is still talk about using him although the article says he doesn't want to give up any of his ROH bookings if they were to use him.

It'll be really interesting when/if TNA goes to Joe and/or Punk asking them to start/re-start with the promotion on a concrete date. I can't see either giving up ROH so either will see TNA get rid of their "No ROH policy" or just decide not to use them. Hopefully a situation like that would lead to a resolution on the whole "ROH thing".

I think it's pretty clear that this is foreshadowing the end of the "no ROH" policy. Punk is ROH's trainer, he bleeds ROH, he works in the office, he helps with booking... he would never leave, and I know Joe carries the belt around with him and takes great pride in it.

The "not main event material" comment about Punk is really silly. He hasn't done a straight edge promo in Ring Of Honor since....like October or November. He still had incredible heel heat at the last Philly show, and he still gets more reaction than just about anyone on the show. He is great on the mic far beyond the straight edge stuff.

Guest TDinDC1112
I think it's pretty clear that this is foreshadowing the end of the "no ROH" policy. Punk is ROH's trainer, he bleeds ROH, he works in the office, he helps with booking... he would never leave, and I know Joe carries the belt around with him and takes great pride in it.

The "not main event material" comment about Punk is really silly. He hasn't done a straight edge promo in Ring Of Honor since....like October or November. He still had incredible heel heat at the last Philly show, and he still gets more reaction than just about anyone on the show. He is great on the mic far beyond the straight edge stuff.

ditto

Guest Donners

IIRC there were a lot of complaints that he had a bad attitude backstage, which probably wouldn't be the best thing to be bringing into a fairly unstable environment. I've always found him to be somewhat overrated, but perhaps I just haven't seen him at his best yet.

I'd like Punk back in TNA, I greatly enjoy his work and if he was used correctly I really do think he could get over there. They don't have to of course, it would still be 2 more pay days a week for Punk if they do bring him back, which is always a good thing as Wednesday and Thursday aren't exactly great for Indy bookings.

I'd like Punk back in TNA, I greatly enjoy his work and if he was used correctly I really do think he could get over there. They don't have to of course, it would still be 2 more pay days a week for Punk if they do bring him back, which is always a good thing as Wednesday and Thursday aren't exactly great for Indy bookings.

This is why TNA would be a great place to work if they weren't being pricks about their other bookings.

Imagine how happy AJ Styles (for example) would be if he was getting paid to work Wednesdays and Thursdays every week...with medical coverage while he's in the ring there...and he could pick and choose to work wherever he wanted the rest of the time without TNA sticking their hands in his pockets or outright refusing to let him work some places.

If TNA would drop the no-RoH and booking fee policies...

Well...everyone here would still hate them...but they'd have less ammo.

If CM Punk is brought back to TNA, he'd better not have to face The Sandman and mystery partners again in shitty matches and be forced to sign a TNA-exclusive contract that would prevent him from going to ROH ever again like Styles and Daniels had to.

I guess only time will tell what Punk's going to do, but he's most likely going to just stay with ROH since he's the trainer of the promotion and likes the way he's been used there over his use in TNA. Besides, he'd be pissed if he found out about the booking fee and no-ROH policies from TNA if TNA keeps them in effect a few months from now.

CM Punk already has the same contract that Styles and Daniels have.

What changed things :TNA changed the rules after the contracts were signed. This left everyone who had a contract and worked both promotions to make a choice. In reality...there wasn't much of a choice to make. From a financial standpoint, replacing a twice a month weekend payday is much easier than replacing a weekly midweek payday. Punk was already on the outs with TNA when they did this...and even if he weren't he's the one person who I thought would tell them to stick it anyway since he's a much bigger star everywhere else he worked...especially RoH.

Who does CM Punk think he is to demand the right to sell his labor on days they were promised that freedom when the contracts were signed? What an outrage!

Even though I watch TNA on the wrestling channel in the UK for free, If Punk came back I would actually go out of my way to watch TNA again.

Especially if he was allowed to play to his strengths instead of being put in brawls with Sandman and alike. Yes he can work that style but its not whats he's best at. Could easily draw serious heel heat with the Straight Edge tirades in full flow at the Asylum.

Guest TDinDC1112
Who does CM Punk think he is to demand the right to sell his labor on days they were promised that freedom when the contracts were signed? What an outrage!

While I agree with you, technically, he shouldn't have signed the contract then.

Only by a tiny margin though. ;) I'd put Punk above a large percentage of TNA's roster in all honesty. I'm pleased he's getting the kind of push he deserves in ROH at the moment.

CM Punk already has the same contract that Styles and Daniels have.

What changed things :TNA changed the rules after the contracts were signed. This left everyone who had a contract and worked both promotions to make a choice. In reality...there wasn't much of a choice to make. From a financial standpoint, replacing a twice a month weekend payday is much easier than replacing a weekly midweek payday. Punk was already on the outs with TNA when they did this...and even if he weren't he's the one person who I thought would tell them to stick it anyway since he's a much bigger star everywhere else he worked...especially RoH.

wow... i didn't know you'd read them. if you could give me a link, that'd be great.

What more than likely actually happened, was TNA worded the contracts in their favor with the stipulations regarding their reservation of the right to approve outside bookings. (considering that Behrens has had a hand in Styles' booking since he was in Wildside...) and decided to act on it when they were gearing up for TV. while the strict enforcement of those portions of the contract may not have been an issue previously, they always could've. that they chose not to up until now is immaterial.

it makes no sense to blame TNA for enforcing stipulations concentually agreed to by both parties. no one forced Punk, Daniels, or Styles, etc. to sign the contracts... and the time to dispute the wording and provisions would've been... you know, before they signed them.

realistically, TNA could've told Punk flat out that he wasn't going to be working RoH anymore and booked him anyway. and when he didn't show up, sue him for Breach of Contract. he should be happy he got the choice in the first place.

Guest Deviant

Bottom line, TNA presented him with a choice and he chose ROH. Why isn't he allowed to do so? He signed a contract which changed its rules half-way through? Yeah, that's a real solid legal ground for TNA to stand on if they wanted to sue him for breaching it...

What's with this death-to-freedon-of-choice crap?

Bottom line, TNA presented him with a choice and he chose ROH. Why isn't he allowed to do so? He signed a contract which changed its rules half-way through? Yeah, that's a real solid legal ground for TNA to stand on if they wanted to sue him for breaching it...

What's with this death-to-freedon-of-choice crap?

but that's not necessarily what happened. i haven't read the documents... and to my knowledge, neither has anybody else.

like i said above... what can be extrapolated from the information that was given through various reliable enough sources with respect to the actual provisions of the contracts seems to be as i previously stated. that when the talent signed the contracts... there were stipulations as to TNA's reserved right to approve all outside bookings; that the talent was free to book themselves elsewhere, but, should they (TNA) so desire, they (TNA) could/would have the final say.

EXAMPLE: if TNA decides, at some point, to start running house shows and touring (which would have to be some sort of goal at some point), and they hadn't reserved the rights to their talents with respect to outside bookings, they'd be fucked. they'd have to get the talent to sign new contracts, and run the risk of losing talent for their weekend shows but still have them as contracted performers for Wednesdays.

like i said, the fact that TNA didn't do this previously is immaterial. the rules weren't "changed" as much as the policy wasn't enforced... as their was no need to. however, in gearing up for TV - this is how they wanted to do things with THEIR talent and the contracts reserved their right to do so.

... and "death-to-freedom-of-choice crap"... welll... that would've have been the moment they became CONTRACTED performers who guarenteed their service to an organization and consented to all the provisions of a legally binding document.

until concrete evidence is presented otherwise... one would have the function on the assumption that TNA is acting within the framework of the currently standing contracts. otherwise, the cheapest lawyer in the country could void that agreement. if you've read the contracts... show me. i'll take it all back. otherwise, i can't see how any information/reasoning could lead a person to the above lines of thinking.

Guest JacK

eh, they signed the contracts, it's their own fault really. No one to blame but themselves, if you sign a contract with a clause which allows them to do that; well, you should expect that they would.

Though I'm not really sure where the 15% thing would fit into a contract like that without being glaringly obvious . . . perhaps being indy workers they couldn't afford to get a decent non-schiester lawyer to look over it and explain what could/couldn't be done to them if they signed?