TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest INXS

Chad Collyer signs with TNA..

Guest INXS

From PWBTS

Independent worker Chad Collyer has signed a deal to appear for NWA TNA.

He is set to debut next Wednesday at the TNA PPV. Collyer, who is highly talented, has worked several dark matches for WWE recently. Collyer decided to sign a deal with TNA after contacting WWE head of talent relations, Johnny Ace, who told him that he might as well sign with TNA as WWE weren't prepared to offer him anything.

He's one talented guy...good stuff for TNA.

He's one talented guy...good stuff for TNA.

Eh, I can't really get into his matches. He tries too hard to be like Dean Malenko in the ring but it doesn't come off too well for some reason.

I think he could be a pretty good edition to the X Division roster.

Maybe he does try to be like Deano too much, but he is solid in the ring.

Guest Dynamite Kido

He'd be a really solid addition to the X-division. He's already better than Shane is......

Guest OSIcon

Collyer doesn't fit into the X-Division at all.

I like him, but he just doesn't fit into that division or TNA's heavyweight division in terms of Style. People get on Michael Shane (and Sonny Siaki) for being give the X-Title when they wrestler more of a "small heavyweight" style. Shane at least as more "X-Division style" in him than Collyer so I don't see why people think he'll work out in the X-Division.

The signing doesn't make much sense to me. He would probably be best used as part of a tag team.

I don't think this is true. Why would TNA sign a guy they've used like 1 time in the past? They need to get Kanyon damnit.

Why would they sign a guy they've never used over a guy they've used one time? Of course Kanyon's a name, Collyer is a good wrestler too. Give him a chance

They had a plan for him way way back months ago the last time that he was on where they would make him the Dean Malenko of the X division...and he'd use his technical knowledge to ground the high flyers.

I hope they stick with that.

Guest Dynamite Kido
They had a plan for him way way back months ago the last time that he was on where they would make him the Dean Malenko of the X division...and he'd use his technical knowledge to ground the high flyers.

I hope they stick with that.

Exactly, I find it rather funny how people say he doesn't fit in with the X-division and that he is an exact copy of Malenko. Considering that Malenko worked wonderfully with all the Cruisers that WCW had. This will be a good idea for TNA, IMO.

Hmm...decent signing. If they use him as the 'anti X style' X Division guy, that'd open up a whole bunch of matches pretty quickly.

I still don't get the whole 'X-Division style' arguement either. So Collyer's a technical wrestler...why does that rule him out of the X-Division Title?

Guest The Last Free Voice

I don't know if I like this. I think they could have gone with better selections if they wanted an X guy. But Collyer's solid, if uncharismatic. I think I'll wait and see.

Guest NateRizzle

You all seem to forget some of Dean Malenko's classics in WCW. did he fit in with the other cruiserweights? Don't think so.

Guest The Last Free Voice

But Dean had that connection with the crowd that drew them in. And I really don't think Chad has taht...

Guest Donners
I don't think this is true. Why would TNA sign a guy they've used like 1 time in the past? They need to get Kanyon damnit.

He had three matches between last December and January IIRC, losing them all. He looked okay from what I remember, but I'm surprised they would sign a 30-year-old when there's a lot of younger talent around.

As for Kanyon, I just can't understand why he isn't in. He said he and Spanky contacted TNA before they even left WWE. I can understand Spanky not coming in with the RoH fiasco, but WHERE THE HELL IS KANYON?!

You're all forgetting, at least those that say he'd fit into the X-Division and how Dean fit in with the Cruiserweight division in WCW perfectly, that the Cruiserweight division was based on weight, not style. The X-Division style, as pimped by Mike Tenay, is about high-risk action. Call me crazy, but I somehow doubt a Dean Malenko wannabe fits the HIGH-RISK style that the X-Division is supposed to be.

Which is why, again, I say they just rename the fucking belt the TNA Cruiserweight title.

Guest MikeSC
You're all forgetting, at least those that say he'd fit into the X-Division and how Dean fit in with the Cruiserweight division in WCW perfectly, that the Cruiserweight division was based on weight, not style. The X-Division style, as pimped by Mike Tenay, is about high-risk action. Call me crazy, but I somehow doubt a Dean Malenko wannabe fits the HIGH-RISK style that the X-Division is supposed to be.

Which is why, again, I say they just rename the fucking belt the TNA Cruiserweight title.

People also seem to assume that the TNA bookers can pull off such an angle.

People are naive.

-=Mike

Guest Dynamite Kido

I agree with you 100% on this Laz, but keep in mind that the X-divison style died with Michael Shane being their "dream" champion. Collyer could be good against spotty opponents making the matches better by slowing them down and keeping them at bay, creating a pace. But I agree and say that if they ever go back to the "balls out" X-division approach that they once had......he doesn't fit in at all.

Guest whitemilesdavis

I haven't seen Collyer wrestle yet, but from what I've heard his style may be interesting against the x-division guys. However, I don't see how you can create a division based on style. Technically, Siaki couldn't be X-champ, because he doesn't work the style, right? But there's no way to regulate it, unless you clearly define what that style is, for example, say the guys would have to use at least 3 aerial moves in the match, which is rediculous. I say keep calling it the X-division, and just put a weight limit on it. That way, guys like Collyer and Shane could be legit contenders and work the mat vs. aerial story into their matches, while Siaki would be too heavy to be in the division.

...which is exactly what I'm saying. Just call it the fucking Cruiserweight title already, considering the only people in the division are Cruiserweights, and only half of them work the X-Division style.

And I could make a stretch to fit Siaki in. Tenay used to say how the X-Division was about innovation. Siaki had the somersault swinging neckbreaker, Siakolypse, and a few cool-looking powermoves. But that's stretching it. TNA fails to realize that when you make a title for high-flying wrestlers and high-flying wrestlers ONLY, you need to make sure only high-flying wrestlers compete for it.

Guest whitemilesdavis

Agreed.

BUt, I would still call it X-division just to give TNA it's own flair. WCW had Cruiserweights, WWF had light-heavy's, and Japan has Juniors. Plus, with the company already promoting the X-division as one of their selling points, I say keep it, and quietly change the standards of it.

Guest INXS

From PWBTS.com:

"Last week, TNA promised Chad Collyer a contract with the company which he would sign tonight at the Wednesday PPV.

Tonight, TNA have informed Collyer that he won't be offered a deal after all.

The people that I have spoken to speculate that TNA merely promised Chad Collyer a contract to get him to come in for tonight's PPV (in which he put over signed talent).

I have no word on the status of the other guys who were reported to have been due to sign deals tonight."

Guest MikeSC
From PWBTS.com:

"Last week, TNA promised Chad Collyer a contract with the company which he would sign tonight at the Wednesday PPV.

Tonight, TNA have informed Collyer that he won't be offered a deal after all.

The people that I have spoken to speculate that TNA merely promised Chad Collyer a contract to get him to come in for tonight's PPV (in which he put over signed talent).

I have no word on the status of the other guys who were reported to have been due to sign deals tonight."

If this is true (I don't fully buy it), this is one insanely low move.

-=Mike

Guest Donners

That would be an act of gross stupidity if it happened as speculated. I would presume that if he is not to be offered a deal, something has changed since they originally agreed to bring him in. To have brought him in under a deliberate false promise would cost them credibility in all future dealings, not to mention open up some avenues of legal liability.

Guest JacK

Now that's dodgy . . . I mean I hope that ain't true for Collyer's sake, or for TNA. I mean who'd trust them now? The only way workers would trust them now would be if they signed Collyer . . . and he'd probably tell them to get fucked if that's true. I know I would - principles > money.

Guest Donners

Exactly. It would make no sense to risk the obvious possible backlash for such a minor role. If it were Samoa Joe, I'd have my suspicions. But Collyer? It must be some other reason.