TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Last Free Voice

Punk Essentals?

Okay, I'm looking to get into REAL punk music. So where do I start. I've heard the Ramones, Sex Pistols and The Clash, but any albums in particular? Greatest hits? Others?

Thanks....

Thanks for the help, pricks. And by Real Punk, I meant actual punk, not crap like yellowcard that passes for punk with my generation. Sheesh. I should have known than try to get some real help here.

Guest HungryJack

Bad Religion is a good place to start

Get Suffer, Stranger than Fiction, Teh Grey Race, Against the Grain....

that should be a start.

Guest Choken One

real punk doesn't exist.

Real Punk exists by not existing.

Punk is just a fashion statement.

Guest Joshua A. Norton

discharge

gauze

broken bones

varukers

gism

gloom

totalitar

Guest Choken One

Real Punk...to me...isn't The Sex Pistols.

Real Punk is not playing along with the trends...

You can't be punk anymore in this day and age...

Personally, Punk is more common in what we don't perchieve to be "punk"...

I'm sick of these fucking idiots in mo-hawks and leather chains with Discharge and black flag labels sown onto their jeans calling themselfs punk because they think by wearing those clothes and listening to that music, they are a part of the punk movement that died before it even got started.

I've seen kids define "Punk" more by wearing Abercrombie then those kids...

Punk is standing up AGAINST the beliefs and rules. Those kids aren't doing that, they use punk as a Fashion statement to let out thier teenage angst.

That's why I hate those people because they have taken a concept that wasn't meant to be a concept and turned it right into everything it wasn't supposed to be.

Guest Choken One

Exactly...

Yoko saw through the bullshit and knew the Beatles had to be killed.

Thats HARDCORE punk right there.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
Real Punk...to me...isn't The Sex Pistols.

Real Punk is not playing along with the trends...

Punk is standing up AGAINST the beliefs and rules. Those kids aren't doing that, they use punk as a Fashion statement to let out thier teenage angst.

The Sex Pistols didn't follow ANY trends in the late 70's? C'mon!, God Save the Queen? A scathing attack on the monarchy that everyone in the country holds dear. That was even more blasphemous than denouncing Christ. They were number one on the British charts but they had to have their name blacked out because they were BANNED in their own country. Sex Pistols were everything that you described punk to be. Inc is right, you added nothing to this thread except bullshit. Think before you type, you're rapidly becoming a self parody of a parody.

I'm gonna stay away from the "what is punk?" yadda yadda stuff and just recommend essential albums that are generally recognized as punk excluding the mentioned Sex Pistols, Clash, Ramones.

Misfits-Walk Among Us

-The best versions of their best songs

Dead Kennedys-Fresh Fruit...

-Very unique sound and vocals with some funny black comedy and political satire.

Naked Raygun-Jettison

-Another stand out band from the 80s. "Vanilla Blue" is one of the most addictive punk songs ever.

New York Dolls-s/t

-Sleezy proto punk that would influence everybody from the Ramones to Kiss.

Gang of Four-Entertainment

-Funky post punk at it's best.

Dead Boys-Young Loud and Snotty

-Who the Sex Pistols' look and sound were said to be molded after. Similar style minus British accent and social commentary.

Descendents-Somery

-Their first lp is a great early hardcore release while this features some of that as well some of the greatest pop punk(not to be confused with what is mislabeled as such nowdays) songs ever written.

Buzzcocks-Singles Going Steady

-Great well written early pop punk. "Orgasm Addict" is classic.

Minor Threat-Complete Discography

-About as good as straight up D.C. Hardcore gets with the exception of the already mentioned first Bad Brains lp, who were more musically accomplished.

Turbonegro-Ass Cobra, Apocalypse Dudes

-Punk's dead...riiiight. As good as anything from the glory days. Very talented band, AC is some good ol fashioned offensive hardcore with their own twist while AD is a rather musical post-pop punk album.

Fear-The Record

-Musically accomplished 80s L.A. band with a similar attitude in their lyrics to the Dead Kenndys.

Flipper-Generic

-Very strange sluggish hardcore featuring the classic,"Sex Bomb." Hard to find nowdays.

probably more...

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
New York Dolls-s/t

-Sleezy proto punk that would influence everybody from the Ramones to Kiss.

This one I kinda disagree with. While it is a tremendous album in its own right, its more glam rock than punk. I certainly don't buy it an a punk album. Its more like a Stones album with an edge.

Amazingly no one has mentioned the MC5 or the Stooges, both Detroit bands threw caution to the wind and influenced many of their punk predecessors. Fun House is completely balls to wall.